The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: whitey on June 03, 2020, 06:28:52 PM
Nah....I'm just being sarcastic. But compared to the Covington story, this one , if true, is 50 times more outrageous and you probably won't hear a word about it because it doesn't fit their narrative

You sure its not 100 time more outrageous? 1000?

Any context yet?

Was it a protest? A riot? Some drunk eejit angry at his girlfriend wandering home looking for trouble?

whitey

Quote from: J70 on June 03, 2020, 06:33:30 PM
Nah....I'm just being sarcastic. But compared to the Covington story, this one , if true, is 50 times more outrageous and you probably won't hear a word about it because it doesn't fit their narrative

Any context yet?

Was it a protest? A riot? Some drunk eejit angry at his girlfriend wandering home looking for trouble?

Doesn't matter

No one should be assaulting anyone lest of all an 85 year old veteran

J70

Quote from: whitey on June 03, 2020, 06:37:15 PM
Quote from: J70 on June 03, 2020, 06:33:30 PM

Any context yet?

Doesn't matter

No one should be assaulting anyone lest of all an 85 year old veteran

Well, yeah!  :)

I would hope that gobshite will do time for that. Inexcusible behaviour. He better hope the auld lad recovers fully.

J70

Quote from: sid waddell on June 03, 2020, 06:31:50 PM
Governor Jim Justice (R) of West Virginia says that he would welcome any president to his state.

Oh wait, any white president.

Just one former president, Barack Obama, is classed as being not welcome.

https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1268222197212106753

Has Joe Manchin commented?

I just read that this idiot became a Democrat to win the governorship, then switched back to the GOP.

Richest man in WV apparently. Coal magnate.

Wonder what his company's safety record is like?

Taylor

Quote from: sid waddell on June 03, 2020, 05:52:58 PM
Quote from: Taylor on June 03, 2020, 03:20:53 PM

Sid - while I admire your stance but it is more complex than that.

To just say 'I am wrong' and then tar millions of people with the same brush with no evidence is 'wrong'.

Im no Trump supporter and the biggest issue in the US right now is Police brutality & racism - period.

You can surely see the violent protestors is pushing people towards Trump?

Regarding who was voted in last time - perhaps given the choices Clinton or Trump - it means that many voted as the least worst in their eyes - not that every single one of them was racist?
Hillary Clinton was not a racist, fascist demagogue. Neither is Joe Biden. Each is problematic in their own way but very much within a normal frame of reference and each was/is unquestionably a better option than a racist, fascist demagogue. Jacques Chirac was problematic within a normal frame of reference in 2002 but was unquestionably a better option than the racist, fascist demagogue Jean Marie Le Pen. Similarly with Emmanuel Macron over Le Pen's daughter in 2017.

People don't get "pushed" into voting for Trump. That's an excuse for giving in to their own bigotry. If they vote for Trump it's because they're happy to accept a racist, fascist demagogue in the White House.

Do you accept there is significant interference being run here by far right agent provocateurs to turn protests violent?

That's a naked attack on the right of the black community to protest. It's telling the black community - "if you protest, we will interfere to make things violent with the express aim of deligitimising and demonising you". I'm sure you can see the problem for democracy there.

Which is a much, much more important story than some hangers on going too far and looting some shops. Maybe not for people who have a predisposition to vote for a racist, fascist demagogue.

We rightly say white America has never come to terms with its original sin. It has never dealt with its endemic racism, and thus, we have police brutality against black people. What could be more demonstrative of the undealt with endemic racism than mass support for a racist, fascist demagogue? Support for that demagogue is the banality of evil. I'm certain those in Germany who supported Hitler in the 1930s mainly thought of themselves as good people. Most people think of themselves as good people. The majority of Trump supporters would not inflict violence on somebody of an ethnic minority. They're likely polite in person, and capable of compassion. But that's not the point. That's not what everyday racism is. If somebody supports a racist, fascist demagogue, they are giving support to evil. They are participating in the. perpetuation of endemic and vicious racism

Trump literally campaigned on chaos. He is on record as calling for riots and chaos and for things to "go to total hell".

A significant amount of his supporters desire chaos. My evidence is the following.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/04/opinion/trump-voters-chaos.html

Last week, at the annual meeting of the American Political Science Association, the winner of the best paper award in the Political Psychology division was "A 'Need for Chaos' and the Sharing of Hostile Political Rumors in Advanced Democracies."

The paper, which the award panel commended for its "ambitious scope, rigor, and creativity," is the work of Michael Bang Petersen and Mathias Osmundsen, both political scientists at Aarhus University in Denmark, and Kevin Arceneaux, a political scientist at Temple.

It argues that a segment of the American electorate that was once peripheral is drawn to "chaos incitement" and that this segment has gained decisive influence through the rise of social media.

------

How do Petersen, Osmundsen and Arceneaux measure this "need for chaos"? They conducted six surveys, four in the United States, in which they interviewed 5157 participants, and two in Denmark, with 1336. They identified those who are "drawn to chaos" through their affirmative responses to the following statements:

I fantasize about a natural disaster wiping out most of humanity such that a small group of people can start all over.

I think society should be burned to the ground.

When I think about our political and social institutions, I cannot help thinking "just let them all burn."

We cannot fix the problems in our social institutions, we need to tear them down and start over.

Sometimes I just feel like destroying beautiful things.

In an email, Petersen wrote that preliminary examination of the data shows "that the 'need for chaos' correlates positively with sympathy for Trump but also — although less strongly — with sympathy for Sanders. It correlates negatively with sympathy for Hillary Clinton." (After publication of this column, Petersen asked to clarify his comment. "The information given in the above quote," he said, "solely reflected an initial interpretation of a preliminary analysis, which is not part of the research on which the column is based.")

-----
https://www.rawstory.com/2019/09/trumps-hardcore-fans-crave-chaos-and-think-society-should-be-burned-to-the-ground-political-scientists/

The study's authors — political scientists Michael Bang Petersen and Mathias Osmundsen of Aarhus University in Denmark, and Kevin Arceneaux of Temple University — found that Trump supporters were far more likely than other voters to be sympathetic toward statements such as "I fantasize about a natural disaster wiping out most of humanity such that a small group of people can start all over" and "I think society should be burned to the ground."

These views are a minority among voters, the authors claim, but they nonetheless have "incredible amounts of support" among the general population. In fact, the study found that 24 percent of all 6,000-plus people surveyed said they believed society "should be burned to the ground."

So 24% of 6,000 people thought this........just over 1400.

And this study is linked to the 65m who voted for Trump? Right so.

I get you despise Trump and everything he stands for but there are other things at work here.

Is Trump to blame for the Rodney King riots?
What about the King assassination riots?

Jell 0 Biafra

What does it mean to fantasize about a small group of people starting over after a natural disaster mean?   Does watching a disaster movie count? 

whitey

Bad Gyal Ting 🇯🇲 (@lovelo_xoxo) Tweeted:
STAY WOKE!!! They had a brick trying to cause destruction. #TampaProtest https://t.co/S0apXO4W0p

Antifa caught hijacking BLM protest

J70

Quote from: whitey on June 03, 2020, 08:08:44 PM
STAY WOKE!!! They had a brick trying to cause destruction. #TampaProtest https://t.co/S0apXO4W0p

Fair fucks to that lady.

Gmac

Quote from: J70 on June 03, 2020, 08:15:28 PM

Fair fucks to that lady.
is covid gone now how come the news channels have quit talking about it ? They don't want to call out protesters/rioters gutless pieces of shit ,Sacramento kings broadcaster was forced to resign for tweeting all lives matter it's pretty f$$ked up world when that is an outrageous statement.

J70

Quote from: Gmac on June 03, 2020, 08:33:54 PM

Fair fucks to that lady.
is covid gone now how come the news channels have quit talking about it ? They don't want to call out protesters/rioters gutless pieces of shit ,Sacramento kings broadcaster was forced to resign for tweeting all lives matter it's pretty f$$ked up world when that is an outrageous statement.

1. I don't know about where you are, but there's plenty of fretting and discussion here in NY about the potential effects of the protests and riots on the COVID outbreak. Fact is though that the protests and riots are bigger news at the moment. COVID has been with us for months and it still be with us when things settle down.

2. That broadcaster was asked what he thought about BLM by a player and responded with All Lives Matter. From the little bit I read it sounded like he was bated into his response; Cousins was expecting it, I guess, based on past interactions. And All Lives Matter IS an inflammatory response. Its meant to invalidate or dismiss BLM. BLM has never been about "only black lives matter". The whole point is "black lives matter TOO!". All Lives Matter is the response of those who don't want to hear about the problems black people have suffered with the authorities. The broadcaster was an idiot.
I'm sure he'll be all right though and secure a gig on Fox News or somewhere else on the right wing white victimhood media circuit.

tonto1888

How did you come to this conclusion

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: whitey on June 03, 2020, 08:08:44 PMAntifa caught hijacking BLM protest

Sorry, I missed the bit where you presented evidence linked them to "antifa"....

[and it was previously noted that antifa means anti-fascism. Its not an organisation.]

i usse an speelchekor

Gmac

Quote from: J70 on June 03, 2020, 08:48:58 PM

Fair fucks to that lady.

1. I don't know about where you are, but there's plenty of fretting and discussion here in NY about the potential effects of the protests and riots on the COVID outbreak. Fact is though that the protests and riots are bigger news at the moment. COVID has been with us for months and it still be with us when things settle down.

2. That broadcaster was asked what he thought about BLM by a player and responded with All Lives Matter. From the little bit I read it sounded like he was bated into his response; Cousins was expecting it, I guess, based on past interactions. And All Lives Matter IS an inflammatory response. Its meant to invalidate or dismiss BLM. BLM has never been about "only black lives matter". The whole point is "black lives matter TOO!". All Lives Matter is the response of those who don't want to hear about the problems black people have suffered with the authorities. The broadcaster was an idiot.
I'm sure he'll be all right though and secure a gig on Fox News or somewhere else on the right wing white victimhood media
thats what you think it means I don't ,

Gmac

J70

Quote from: Gmac on June 03, 2020, 09:17:52 PM
Quote from: J70 on June 03, 2020, 08:48:58 PM

Fair fucks to that lady.

I'm sure he'll be all right though and secure a gig on Fox News or somewhere else on the right wing white victimhood media
thats what you think it means I don't ,

Well what do you think it means?

Why would someone retort "All Lives Matter" when they see or hear "Black Lives Matter"?