Should Tyrone speak to RTE

Started by CD, August 20, 2018, 11:17:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CD

RTE continue to offer the olive branch although they never actually apologised after 2011. Is Mickey Harte right to continue to snub the national broadcaster given his deep faith and commitment to forgiveness? Are the Tyrone Board and players/staff correct to follow suit? Are Cavanagh, Jordan etc who do work for RTE in some capacity disloyal to the Tyrone manager?
Discuss!
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

The Trap

What way does it work in reality? Straight after a game do RTE radio and tv interviewers know not to approach tyrone players. Surely in the heat of the moment a Tyrone player could be caught off guard and answer a few questions. Would they ask "are you from RTE?"

AZOffaly

Quote from: The Trap on August 20, 2018, 11:22:47 AM
What way does it work in reality? Straight after a game do RTE radio and tv interviewers know not to approach tyrone players. Surely in the heat of the moment a Tyrone player could be caught off guard and answer a few questions. Would they ask "are you from RTE?"

For an All Ireland it's more the build up. You see the fluff pieces that are on telly, d'internet and Up for the Match, and the buildup itself.

Although I might be wrong, was it only John Kiely that spoke to the media coming up to the game yesterday?

CD

It was - Kielty managed that so well - said he had a young team and it was his role to protect them from the distraction - he explained it better than that!

trueblue1234

Quote from: CD on August 20, 2018, 11:17:14 AM
RTE continue to offer the olive branch although they never actually apologised after 2011. Is Mickey Harte right to continue to snub the national broadcaster given his deep faith and commitment to forgiveness? Are the Tyrone Board and players/staff correct to follow suit? Are Cavanagh, Jordan etc who do work for RTE in some capacity disloyal to the Tyrone manager?
Discuss!
For me this is MH's decision. I wouldn't want or expect him to change his mind for anyone else. Does it help Tyrone, Prob not but I also respect that it his decision given the personal nature of what happened.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

BennyHarp

Discuss!

People love to snire at Mickey and use his faith in a sarcastic way to beat him over things like this. The truth is, whether we agree with his faith or not it has helped him deal with some horrific tragedies in his life and that is something we should respect.

RTE overstepped the mark and have never really shown any sort of commitment to make amends. Their representation of Tyrone since hasn't exactly endeared them to Tyrone fans or the team. So in a day and age where social media is king and RTE productions like Up for the Match are just embarrassing to watch and post match interviews are meaningless then I don't think Tyrone miss out too much with their stance. One thing is for sure, Tyrone aren't going to give in now with the glorious opportunity of locking RTE out of the banquet so close.
That was never a square ball!!

Jayop

Rte have for years went out of their way to try to punish Tyrone so I wouldn't piss on them if they were on fire. If anyone from tyrone wants to appear on there once they're done playing then that's their personal decision.

mup

Although time has dulled the actual content of the 'sketch' on RTE Radio, I do remember hearing it at the time and thinking that it was horribly insensitive. I'd have no issue with Tyrone not having anything to do with RTE. Good on them.

lenny

Quote from: trueblue1234 on August 20, 2018, 11:34:22 AM
Discuss!
For me this is MH's decision. I wouldn't want or expect him to change his mind for anyone else. Does it help Tyrone, Prob not but I also respect that it his decision given the personal nature of what happened.

Harte has got his personal issues with rte regarding brian carty and also the unfortunate song choice by an rte dj. Rte have behaved with dignity and apologised but harte wouldn't accept it. That's his prerogative but what's pathetic is his dictating to his players to boycott rte also. It shows the players as robots with no individuality and paints them in a pathetic light. As with their going along with the rosarys at training and before matches. Some of them need to say to harte to wise up and do their own thing.

Jayop

Lenny doesn't believe what he says either. He's just a tube that likes to bash Tyrone over any wee thing. If Tyrone had allowed Rte interviews then he'd be saying they lad no backbone or courage of conviction.

trueblue1234

Quote from: lenny on August 20, 2018, 12:12:36 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on August 20, 2018, 11:34:22 AM
Discuss!

Harte has got his personal issues with rte regarding brian carty and also the unfortunate song choice by an rte dj. Rte have behaved with dignity and apologised but harte wouldn't accept it. That's his prerogative but what's pathetic is his dictating to his players to boycott rte also. It shows the players as robots with no individuality and paints them in a pathetic light. As with their going along with the rosarys at training and before matches. Some of them need to say to harte to wise up and do their own thing.

Hardstation has said exactly what I would have. Plus they might, like me, feel that MH had a genuine grievance with RTE and therefore are happy to stand by him. I don't see that as pathetic.

seafoid

If Tyrone get their arses handed to them on a disposable plate the omerta won't look very smart
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

trueblue1234

Quote from: seafoid on August 20, 2018, 12:21:27 PM
If Tyrone get their arses handed to them on a disposable plate the omerta won't look very smart

The boycott won't have any effect on how the team preforms on the date. If they get their asses handed to them, then they'll just have been the most recent victims of a strong Dublin team. Highly likely it seems as well.

GJL

Quote from: hardstation on August 20, 2018, 12:22:34 PM
Quote from: seafoid on August 20, 2018, 12:21:27 PM
Why would it make any difference?

Speaking to RTE or not speaking to RTE will have absolutely zero influence on the result of the game.

CD

My understanding is that the players and background team make their own choices about their contact with RTE?
In terms of issuing an apology, RTÉ did the classic media trick of apologising 'if offence was caused' thereby insinuating that they didn't see it as offensive and backing the DJ who wasn't reprimanded in any way. The subsequent 'Tyrone bashing' has just gone to stiffen resolve.