Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

123Bigball

Quote from: bannside on July 31, 2022, 11:44:06 PM
St Brigids brought their A game, but it wasn't enough to see off a decent, workmanlike PG1 performance. On to the next event from our perspective

PG1 scores spread out or any individuals rack up a good tally bannside.

bannside

There was an even spread of scores 123. St Brigids went two up with about 12 minutes left and it took a big finish from Casements with the last six scores to get over the line.

Looks like there were close games in Creggan Cargin and Moneyglass too.

Spike

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 29, 2022, 10:50:12 PM
Quote from: paddyjohn on July 29, 2022, 10:18:41 PM
I also remember being at convention on year and hearing that 3 outta 16 fixtures were completed at South Antrim Un16 level. Also the reason why St Endas wanted out of the South Antrim juvenile leagues was lack of game time and development.

We could go round in circles all year on this.

Yeah I'm surprised with how successful SW is they only have 2 winners on about 40 odd years

SW sides making the most of their vastly smaller rural populations, making every effort to improve their players, clubs, communities, playing facilities, and the non playing members experiences.  SOME City sides have went for the quick and easy route of relaying on huge population numbers and the transfers game for producing a nugget of gold, while ignoring the hard work needed from the ground up.  I say some, not all city sides.      We all realise if City sides got their act together then it could be toast for the rest of us.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bannside on August 01, 2022, 10:44:43 AM
There was an even spread of scores 123. St Brigids went two up with about 12 minutes left and it took a big finish from Casements with the last six scores to get over the line.

Looks like there were close games in Creggan Cargin and Moneyglass too.

Ports started slow enough, plenty of possession just no end finish, 5 each at half time, St Brid's goal, well taken by the way, probably refocused Ports and they tacked over the scores, played in good tough spirit to be fair to both teams and management
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Spike on August 01, 2022, 10:57:07 AM
I also remember being at convention on year and hearing that 3 outta 16 fixtures were completed at South Antrim Un16 level. Also the reason why St Endas wanted out of the South Antrim juvenile leagues was lack of game time and development.

Yeah I'm surprised with how successful SW is they only have 2 winners on about 40 odd years

SW sides making the most of their vastly smaller rural populations, making every effort to improve their players, clubs, communities, playing facilities, and the non playing members experiences.  SOME City sides have went for the quick and easy route of relaying on huge population numbers and the transfers game for producing a nugget of gold, while ignoring the hard work needed from the ground up.  I say some, not all city sides.      We all realise if City sides got their act together then it could be toast for the rest of us.

Transfers happen in the SW too ya know ;)

Yeah have to agree with you on facilities and huge improvements in the SW inn terms of coaching and progression through to senior teams, for us we still have huge numbers joining but holding their attention is becoming more and more difficult and they ain't ready to commit to what's required standard wise I feel.

As for the quick easy route, I'm not convinced on that tbf, I've said it many times, it comes in cycles for all clubs, when its good you've got to make hay when the sun shines, because it will dip and quality teams only come along every so often, if you don't siege those opportunities then they are missed.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Lár na páirce 1

Quite a few in cargin camp had covid I'm hearing it probably accounts for a lack of energy yesterday
James Lav was a big miss also. hoping its not a season ending injury
A good weekend all round of championship action

Lár na páirce 1

Covid in last couple weeks not yesterday  :)

thegooch13

Quote from: 123Bigball on August 01, 2022, 12:03:42 AM
Quote from: bannside on July 31, 2022, 11:44:06 PM
St Brigids brought their A game, but it wasn't enough to see off a decent, workmanlike PG1 performance. On to the next event from our perspective

PG1 scores spread out or any individuals rack up a good tally bannside.
Young McAleese came on and played well, he is one to watch being with the antrim set up too

Hectic

Quote from: bannside on July 31, 2022, 02:48:44 PM
Which would be fair enough EOC except I confidently predict yesterday's Og Sport title is just the first product off an excellent conveyor belt under development here.

One year wondergroup lol. Time will tell.....

Perhaps.

Certainly from what I hear there is a mountain of work/commitment at underage there, maybe out at least 3 times a week, even at primary school level, with training and games?

If that is the case it would be expected that the kids would be on ahead of most clubs but it will be interesting to see if this works on through to senior level or if it is the sort of thing where there is a levelling off and others catch up.

Hard work coupled with natural ability and athleticism is generally what makes top players. The hard work is where there is most control over.

Hectic

Why pick 40 years when we are concerned with the here and now with a view to future development?

Maybe because the last 10 yrs don't read as well?

There may be a multitude of valid reasons but Belfast teams are not harnessing the potential that comes with the weight of numbers on their doorstep. Sadly.

Hectic

Head in the sand then?

GAA in Belfast city is nowhere near the level it could be.

country bumpkin

Quote from: Hectic on August 01, 2022, 02:42:26 PM
Quote from: bannside on July 31, 2022, 02:48:44 PM
Which would be fair enough EOC except I confidently predict yesterday's Og Sport title is just the first product off an excellent conveyor belt under development here.

One year wondergroup lol. Time will tell.....

Perhaps.

Certainly from what I hear there is a mountain of work/commitment at underage there, maybe out at least 3 times a week, even at primary school level, with training and games?

If that is the case it would be expected that the kids would be on ahead of most clubs but it will be interesting to see if this works on through to senior level or if it is the sort of thing where there is a levelling off and others catch up.

Hard work coupled with natural ability and athleticism is generally what makes top players. The hard work is where there is most control over.

Had a look at the PG1 feile team on Saturday and indeed they are an excellent young team.
But they are children playing against children and to expect them to progress to a super adult side is a huge leap of faith.

Hectic

Well that is not the position I would take.

Many SW clubs are doing well in terms of participation rates and on a pound for pound basis. And again we all know of the benefits of community, schooling together etc.

But the sheer number of potential recruits in Belfast, if harnessed, would not only see Belfast clubs dominating Antrim but also Ulster and probably be regularly in the All Ireland mix.  And with that we would probably have a much stronger county team and strong MacRory colleges.

But maybe the obstacles are just too great?

bannside

Its about putting building blocks in place and it all starts with juvenile development at the club. That's the base from which it all stems. The club's who invest properly in their juvenile structure will deservedly reap the rewards coming down the tracks. And that flows into schools, county development squads etc. Not rocket science!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bannside on August 01, 2022, 06:59:44 PM
Its about putting building blocks in place and it all starts with juvenile development at the club. That's the base from which it all stems. The club's who invest properly in their juvenile structure will deservedly reap the rewards coming down the tracks. And that flows into schools, county development squads etc. Not rocket science!

Feck that... just go the quick route and win multiple Ulster titles and championships the way the Belfast clubs have done it!! Easy as