Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

country bumpkin

Quote from: JimStynes on December 06, 2021, 09:48:26 PM
I'd say Creggan men will be kicking themselves for throwing that away yesterday. Clann Eireann showed flaws in Creggan's game yesterday as well. Pushing right up on the kick out and pushing up on their sweepers was so simple but effective. Be interesting to see if they come back as hungry. I'm sure the 2 lads who were out injured will want to get another crack at a championship medal but will the rest be as motivated.

Nothing motivates like losing a championship game.
I do know that the Cargin lads are totally devastated since their departure from the 2021 scene with only a league title as reward for their labours.
None have decided to hang up the boots and hearing an early start to the next season is planned under a new management structure.....

geezer

Creggan will be even stronger next year with small and quinn back. No doubt cargin and LD will fancy their chances of winning it. St marys finally joined the party. Only a matter if time before PG1 reach a final. 5 genuine contenders IMO. Can st johns, st endas, st brids or rossa step up a gear and challenge? Maybe a rejuvenated galls side. Great to see so many teams in with a shout.

geezer

On a side note, anyone know why David McGuckian wasnt playing for Creggan this year?

JimStynes

Quote from: geezer on December 06, 2021, 10:10:51 PM
Creggan will be even stronger next year with small and quinn back. No doubt cargin and LD will fancy their chances of winning it. St marys finally joined the party. Only a matter if time before PG1 reach a final. 5 genuine contenders IMO. Can st johns, st endas, st brids or rossa step up a gear and challenge? Maybe a rejuvenated galls side. Great to see so many teams in with a shout.

As I the other day I would have Creggan and Cargin out on their own and then the rest. Not much between the rest either!

geezer

Yeah i would agree with that. Think the other 3 are in the conversation though.

Quote from: JimStynes on December 06, 2021, 10:26:38 PM
Quote from: geezer on December 06, 2021, 10:10:51 PM

As I the other day I would have Creggan and Cargin out on their own and then the rest. Not much between the rest either!

Gold

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 06, 2021, 07:43:18 PM
Quote from: geezer on December 06, 2021, 07:38:40 PM
Look at tyrone. Everyone raves about their championship. Absolute state of their record in ulster. Does that mean that tyrone have overrated club sides? Standards poor? I highly doubt it. My guess is that it is extremely hard to win in ulster. 9 excellent club teams and only 1 winner, it ainy easy.

I really do think they hype up their championship if I'm being honest, the best team I seen was Carrickmore . Ardboe beat us back in the day, crazy match, but I still think they are not as good as they think

Only thing I'd say on Tyrone is my other half's club are Junior, Division 3 in Tyrone. They would compete in Div 1 Antrim every day of the week and half their team have won a McCrory medal  and almost all played in it. That's the strength in depth they have and the difference.The physicality and relentless pace is something that we just don't have and need to work on as a county. 

They are obsessed with Football in Tyrone and in their schools to a level we aren't. Everyone knows about it and every game and their sense of pride and self and self worth almost comes from their County team. We have a far broader interest in other sports and not the same focus. If we did we would be the most successful Ulster team, given our population.

That Galls team was absolutely and utterly exceptional,  they won 13 out of 14 or so Antrims and were by far the best team we have seen, incredible. 
But if they were in Tyrone or Dublin they simply wouldn't have won as much. They won 2 Ulster's in that space of time...winning Tyrone is the same as winning an Ulster, its a minefield.

Dublin is similar. The standard of teams in lower end of Div 1 and even top of Div 2 was frightening when I was there in the late 00s. All would've competed with Galls which I wouldn't have believed if I hadn't seen it up close.
The size and physicality of the teams was and remains phenomenal.
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Gold on December 06, 2021, 10:30:22 PM
Look at tyrone. Everyone raves about their championship. Absolute state of their record in ulster. Does that mean that tyrone have overrated club sides? Standards poor? I highly doubt it. My guess is that it is extremely hard to win in ulster. 9 excellent club teams and only 1 winner, it ainy easy.

I really do think they hype up their championship if I'm being honest, the best team I seen was Carrickmore . Ardboe beat us back in the day, crazy match, but I still think they are not as good as they think

Only thing I'd say on Tyrone is my other half's club are Junior, Division 3 in Tyrone. They would compete in Div 1 Antrim every day of the week and half their team have won a McCrory medal  and almost all played in it. That's the strength in depth they have and the difference.The physicality and relentless pace is something that we just don't have and need to work on as a county. 

They are obsessed with Football in Tyrone and in their schools to a level we aren't. Everyone knows about it and every game and their sense of pride and self and self worth almost comes from their County team. We have a far broader interest in other sports and not the same focus. If we did we would be the most successful Ulster team, given our population.

That Galls team was absolutely and utterly exceptional,  they won 13 out of 14 or so Antrims and were by far the best team we have seen, incredible. 
But if they were in Tyrone or Dublin they simply wouldn't have won as much. They won 2 Ulster's in that space of time...winning Tyrone is the same as winning an Ulster, its a minefield.

Dublin is similar. The standard of teams in lower end of Div 1 and even top of Div 2 was frightening when I was there in the late 00s. All would've competed with Galls which I wouldn't have believed if I hadn't seen it up close.

Most of the time I'm taking the piss out of Tyrone clubs, generally they have amazing club teams. Just shit the nest in Ulster which is a mystery.

The reality is we can only play what's in front of us, and we managed to do well enough.

The Antrim championship needs to have more competing that's a given, but people here seem to be wanting to push the nuke button!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Quote from: JimStynes on December 06, 2021, 09:58:37 PM
Quote from: bannside on December 06, 2021, 09:52:49 PM
Is right Roger! Can't be waiting on Gaelfast round these parts. Clubs need to take their own responsibility for how they want to look in ten years. Anything they benefit from eg local schools or development squads is bonus territory.

We've had this discussion before not too long ago ....nothings changed in that regard.

Sure it goes round in cycles. Be grand.

You need to have at least one cycle for it to go to another cycle
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

geezer

I kind of get what your saying gold but if you throw any dominant club into the tyrone or dublin cship of course they wouldnt win it as much due to the high level of competition . Kilcoo, scotstown etc would be the same. I dare say that st galls team would have fancied their chances no matter what county they were in.

In regards to your div 3 v div 1 call, i couldnt say for sure as i have very little knowledge of tyrone lower levels, but i would confidently fancy an antrim div 1 side over any div 3 side in tyrone. Our club football isnt that bad ye know!

country bumpkin

Quote from: geezer on December 06, 2021, 10:52:11 PM
I kind of get what your saying gold but if you throw any dominant club into the tyrone or dublin cship of course they wouldnt win it as much due to the high level of competition . Kilcoo, scotstown etc would be the same. I dare say that st galls team would have fancied their chances no matter what county they were in.

In regards to your div 3 v div 1 call, i couldnt say for sure as i have very little knowledge of tyrone lower levels, but i would confidently fancy an antrim div 1 side over any div 3 side in tyrone. Our club football isnt that bad ye know!

Tir na Nog will meet up with Moortown on the Ulster way and I certainly would not dismiss the Whitehill men's chances against the Lough Shore men...

Milltown Row2

Quote from: country bumpkin on December 06, 2021, 11:05:27 PM
Quote from: geezer on December 06, 2021, 10:52:11 PM

Tir na Nog will meet up with Moortown on the Ulster way and I certainly would not dismiss the Whitehill men's chances against the Lough Shore men...

Hopefully you'll be cheering them on

GiveItToTheShooters

I get you're trying to emphasise something here but no, they definitely wouldn't ;D

Gold

Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on December 06, 2021, 11:19:16 PM

I get you're trying to emphasise something here but no, they definitely wouldn't ;D

I'm as big an Antrim supporter as there is and wish we were better, I'm not trying to say anything, just calling what I see.

Honestly they would compete. Not saying theyd win it, not saying they'd be top 4, but they'd beat Gort and Ahoghill etc more times than they'd lose. You're talking a team who've nearly all played McCrory at Omagh. The strength in depth in Tyrone is just insane
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: Gold on December 06, 2021, 11:35:34 PM
Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on December 06, 2021, 11:19:16 PM

I'm as big an Antrim supporter as there is and wish we were better, I'm not trying to say anything, just calling what I see.

Honestly they would compete. Not saying theyd win it, not saying they'd be top 4, but they'd beat Gort and Ahoghill etc more times than they'd lose. You're talking a team who've nearly all played McCrory at Omagh. The strength in depth in Tyrone is just insane
I know Intermediate teams in Tyrone who wouldn't even beat Gorts and Ahoghill. So no they definitely wouldn't.  ;D You're blinded by outsider bias in order to emphasis some kind of point. This thing of being up Tyrone footballs hole is quite bizarre. Their record is abysmal

Milltown Row2

I will say this about Cookstown years ago, was possibly 2009, we were playing in the game after against the Monaghan champions, Cookstown were unreal that day, I've said it before on many occasions, they'd have given us a hell of a game that day.