Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

delgany

The contract would be exclusive to one county set up including all county squads   attendance at all  sessions. And matches.
Don't think you could do any more

Rawhide

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 05, 2017, 10:24:00 PM
40 grand to tell a student/player how to train and look after their body?? Am I missing something here? Stay off the drink eat healthy follow a strict training plan and weights programme, listen to the coach /manager on tactics ... you need to pay (at a snip) 40 grand!!!! I thought I'd a great job! If you'd three teams to look after that £120 grand a year job

Yes you are missing something, it's called knowledge. You know what, I can't even be bothered trying to explain this to you🤡
cccc is a true supporter lol

bit of banter

It would be a county contract covering all Antrim squads mr2 so 40,000 isnt that bad a price to pay. S&C is alot more than telling players what to eat etc but as i say starting it at senior level is a waste of time, if we had a creditable coach who was making it part of our players development from a young age then  maybe we will get our players to level of those in the more successful counties, but it will still only be 1 piece of the jigsaw to make up our best county footballers.

Spike

I think you'll find a stark difference in opinion here for people that reckon players should doing this anyway and those who realise S&C is a lifestyle and the continuous search for education & improvement in their performance.

As in all walks of life, some people do the bare minimum to get by and others keep striving for constant improvement. 

Key point is we are starting at a low base here for the seniors so will take a proper focussed system. One winters training isn't going to cut it.  The underage for Antrim is now more key than ever that they get this training and education now to see results for the future. 

Fully get it that its a lot of money. Cant deny that, but Antrim can either continue down the road they are going and bumble back and forth from Div 4 for the foreseeable future, or we can seize the day and aim for loftier aspirations.    There is no quick fix to this.  Even if Lenny is the man some posters believe him to be, he will be hamstrung playing against the physiques and power of other squads who have already implemented this.

I make no bones about it, we need Countywide S&C system just to stand still in comparison to others and each year will be more difficult. Lenny needs it if he is to stand a chance of success.

Minder

Quote from: Spike on October 05, 2017, 04:15:48 PM
Yes a boxer taking gaa trainings sounds like a professional set up all right.

Players cant pick manager butits their choice whether to turn out or not. Antrim board has made their choice a straightforwars one.

Anyway, MR2, tend to agree with u re cargin game. Hard to tell if johnnies blew up or couldnt make the tactical response once Cargin changed theirs. Should be interesting though.

I'm assuming Magee was being paid as a trainer and then being paid for the use of his gym too ?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

paddyjohn

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=276621

Superb idea by Tipp. Possibly something for our lads to look at in the future.

redhandefender

I'm a Tyrone man now playing in your county. As for Peter Donnelly he is asking for 40k now but was on circa 30 last couple of years. He was taking S & C and fitness designed specifically for Gaelic and what gaelic players need for all Tyrone teams and also involved with the colleges and mentoring and training other younger coaches. He was also taking coaching courses for coaches throughout the clubs. Full time job and worth every penny if you ask me.

Attitude and Desire imo is a massive difference in your county from mine. In the city especially there seems to be an attitude of things should be given to you. I genuinely don't think the players are prepared to make the sacrifices required for the county. I saw some of your strength and conditioning carried out under mick mc gurn in an "open gym" in south Belfast a few years ago and they were awful. Boys dandering about posing in the mirror, hopping on an exercise bike and mc gurn dandering about having a natter. Me and a few other lads playing at home at the time couldn't believe it.

Maybe its a city country think I don't know but as someone said above you should be playing for your county and everything else should fall in to place around it. They are well looked after it appears boys are looking excuses to get out !

paddyjohn

Quote from: redhandefender on October 06, 2017, 11:29:31 AM
I'm a Tyrone man now playing in your county. As for Peter Donnelly he is asking for 40k now but was on circa 30 last couple of years. He was taking S & C and fitness designed specifically for Gaelic and what gaelic players need for all Tyrone teams and also involved with the colleges and mentoring and training other younger coaches. He was also taking coaching courses for coaches throughout the clubs. Full time job and worth every penny if you ask me.

Attitude and Desire imo is a massive difference in your county from mine. In the city especially there seems to be an attitude of things should be given to you. I genuinely don't think the players are prepared to make the sacrifices required for the county. I saw some of your strength and conditioning carried out under mick mc gurn in an "open gym" in south Belfast a few years ago and they were awful. Boys dandering about posing in the mirror, hopping on an exercise bike and mc gurn dandering about having a natter. Me and a few other lads playing at home at the time couldn't believe it.

Maybe its a city country think I don't know but as someone said above you should be playing for your county and everything else should fall in to place around it. They are well looked after it appears boys are looking excuses to get out !

Put on yer Tin hat and wait for the fall out of this post..

Spike

Quote from: paddyjohn on October 06, 2017, 11:48:49 AM

There is not one hope in hell the Antrim board will commission a £40k a year trainer. They secured the new manager for a new tracksuit and a packet of peanuts.  Fitsy only got the peanuts.   ;)

country bumpkin

Quote from: Spike on October 06, 2017, 03:06:37 PM

There is not one hope in hell the Antrim board will commission a £40k a year trainer. They secured the new manager for a new tracksuit and a packet of peanuts.  Fitsy only got the peanuts.   ;)
And the big man was asked to pay for them.....
ffs a few in this forum suggested our minors should bring a packed lunch when on county duty..... :)

paddyjohn

Quote from: country bumpkin on October 06, 2017, 03:31:25 PM
Quote from: Spike on October 06, 2017, 03:06:37 PM

And the big man was asked to pay for them.....
ffs a few in this forum suggested our minors should bring a packed lunch when on county duty..... :)

Don't mention the packed lunch CB...

country bumpkin

Quote from: bannside on October 02, 2017, 11:50:00 AM
Thought Paul Mc Keever did exceptionally well yesterday. If he missed one or two it was for both sides and he refused to be intimidated by anyone. Incidentally all five, the ref plus four umpires all sit on our club committee and all played a big role in our new pitch development too. Credit where it's due.
Seems ur man in the middle in this one did not please all BS...especially the CHC...... ???

paddyjohn

Quote from: country bumpkin on October 06, 2017, 05:31:45 PM
Thought Paul Mc Keever did exceptionally well yesterday. If he missed one or two it was for both sides and he refused to be intimidated by anyone. Incidentally all five, the ref plus four umpires all sit on our club committee and all played a big role in our new pitch development too. Credit where it's due.
Seems ur man in the middle in this one did not please all BS...especially the CHC...... ???

Who sits on the CHC? Surely this must be a frustrating part of refereeing, a player striking and gets off with it. What's the point of submitting the report in the first place, suppose depends who is on the committee.

Spike

Quote from: paddyjohn on October 06, 2017, 07:20:56 PM
Quote from: country bumpkin on October 06, 2017, 05:31:45 PM

Who sits on the CHC? Surely this must be a frustrating part of refereeing, a player striking and gets off with it. What's the point of submitting the report in the first place, suppose depends who is on the committee.

If ever an organisation needed questioned from the top down, its antrim football. Farcical stuff coming out of the referees board. McKeever must be very disappointed if the rumours are true. Another embarrassment to add to the list.

country bumpkin

Seen it all before Spike..........sure MR2 is spokesman for the whistlers.....he will be so upset......... :)