Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

CJ is wrecked and unlikely to play this year I'd have thought with the extent of his injury.

The number of forwards who are actually inside the opposition 45 a lot of the time isn't helping never mind who the forwards are.

There were two short periods where we dominated and the rest of the time there was a distinct lack of marking and a distinct lack of tackling. Wexford were poor in my view and there's no reason we shouldn't be beating them.

bannside

Think Andy and Niblock would definitely add something positive to the mix. Andy seems to be out of favour though. Cant see CJ being recalled by any stretch of the imagination.

Lots of posters here were too quick to knock a big raw 19 year old a couple of years ago. But the truth is there isnt a midfielder in Ulster who could outcatch Niall Mc Keever. He would be some addition to this team!!!

Random and hypothetical I know - but he would have been able to win first phase possession for us that has been lacking since.

Gold

Quote from: bannside on March 26, 2012, 09:52:09 PM
Think Andy and Niblock would definitely add something positive to the mix. Andy seems to be out of favour though. Cant see CJ being recalled by any stretch of the imagination.

Lots of posters here were too quick to knock a big raw 19 year old a couple of years ago. But the truth is there isnt a midfielder in Ulster who could outcatch Niall Mc Keever. He would be some addition to this team!!!

Random and hypothetical I know - but he would have been able to win first phase possession for us that has been lacking since.

Would be great to have him back. I'd have big McCarry back to win ball and lay it off

Mark Dougan is a miss as an option up front too.
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

imtommygunn

I don't think I've ever seen a midfielder at any level win as much ball as McKeever did the day we beat cavan in the ulster semi. Great ball winning ability in him and would have made sure that big wexford fella in midfield didn't win the amount of ball he did!

Is McLean not injured?

Be hopeful of Niblock being back come championship.

saffron sam2

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 26, 2012, 10:39:05 PM

I don't think I've ever seen a midfielder at any level win as much ball as McKeever did the day we beat cavan in the ulster semi. Great ball winning ability in him and would have made sure that big wexford fella in midfield didn't win the amount of ball he did!

Is McLean not injured?

Be hopeful of Niblock being back come championship.

Not yet.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

antrimgeal1989

think mckeever and mcveigh from all saints would add to the physical side of things. if only they were available

Glensman

Quote from: antrimgeal1989 on March 27, 2012, 06:12:36 PM
think mckeever and mcveigh from all saints would add to the physical side of things. if only they were available

Assume you mean McKeever from Portglenone?

bannside

Sean Mc Veigh has turned into a fine player - strong, direct and as tough as boots. I think he got a chance at county level too soon. He is in his prime now, and has really blossomed into a good footballer. Think he plans to stay in UK though. Any Ballymena posters confirm this?

Gold

Quote from: bannside on March 28, 2012, 08:20:38 AM
Sean Mc Veigh has turned into a fine player - strong, direct and as tough as boots. I think he got a chance at county level too soon. He is in his prime now, and has really blossomed into a good footballer. Think he plans to stay in UK though. Any Ballymena posters confirm this?

Forget him he's away

need to keep our forwards up the pitch--we'd no shape the other day for a long time

As someone said before get CJ back on board and we're going places.
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

antrimgeal1989

crookes

Sean McVeigh is not up to Inter County standard football, fair enough he played well for Ballymena in the intermediate last year but there is a massive step remember, Antrim need forwards, not more mediocre defenders/midfielders.

I don't think Antrim have or are producing prolific forwards that you see in other Ulster counties such as the Bradleys, Coulter, Jamie Clarke, Steven McDonnell, Stephen ONeill and I can go on..
Where Crookes is, there is light.

Rasharkin Gael

Quote from: crookes on March 30, 2012, 12:28:29 AM

Sean McVeigh is not up to Inter County standard football, fair enough he played well for Ballymena in the intermediate last year but there is a massive step remember, Antrim need forwards, not more mediocre defenders/midfielders.

I don't think Antrim have or are producing prolific forwards that you see in other Ulster counties such as the Bradleys, Coulter, Jamie Clarke, Steven McDonnell, Stephen ONeill and I can go on..

Ok, so we haven't got great forwards and by the way the U21's played against Down not any real quality talent coming through, though the full forward from Creggan was very effective in Newry. What can we do to change this? Its not a new problem in Antrim. I recall Antrim v Monaghan in 1989 at Casement were we totally dominated possession put our forwards couldn't convert, i think we shot around 17/19 wides that day. What are we not doing at club level with players that could improve this?

antrimgeal1989

[/quote]

[/quote]

think me captained london from wing half forward last year?

subterranean saffron

There is no doubt McVeigh and McKeever would make a difference around the middle. Crookes if you actually watched McVeigh in last years championship, as you say you did, then I find it difficult how you can doubt his ability/sheer power; fair enough have your opinions but to say he is 'not up to Inter County football' is a harsh to say the least. I am with Gold on this though, these guys are gone and it is useless talking about them.

I was under the impression that CJ was returning to fitness, and importantly wanted to be in the fold. My understanding was that he is not there at the preference of the manager/team. This is what I am questioning. If it is a personality problem then build a fecking bridge, people can say what they want about his attitude (attitude reflects leadership  :P ) but no one can doubt the boys class.