Teachers get it handy!

Started by wherefromreferee?, June 20, 2008, 08:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Jim Bob

Why does social distancing not apply to children when they are in school but does after 3pm?
They can pick this virus up from ones in their bubble just as easy as from anyone outside it.

tbrick18

Quote from: GJL on August 06, 2020, 08:15:53 PM
Great news. Very hard for the world of work to get back to any sort of normality unless children are at school.

I don't agree. At a time when the R number is rising, they are sending all kids to school with no social distancing after previously saying they wouldn't do this.

However, it's not school as normal. Staggered start and end times, staggered lunches, class bubbles for some years and not for others.
My wife is a teacher and they have been told if a single child in a class has a temperature, the entire class is sent home to isolate. That means the families of each of those children and teacher must isolate. It won't be long until everyone is at home in isolation as we're coming into winter flu time. Kids always pick up bugs on return to school in September so even a sore throat will mean isolation for a class.
This won't help people get to work, it will make it impossible to be able to consistently go to work imo.

ONeill

NAS talking about suing schools.

Not a smooth start to the year.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

tbrick18

Quote from: ONeill on August 07, 2020, 10:07:28 AM

Who are NAS? Probably obvious....

naka

Great news. Very hard for the world of work to get back to any sort of normality unless children are at school.
i think everyone outside of the  teachers unions know this is essential.
most of us in private business are struggling to keep people in jobs yet we know that people are in real difficulties with childcare etc, for this to change schools need to be functioning.
for me, this is a chance to radically change the education system and get more emphasis on the sciences, languages, and computers although the unions won`t agree.
i am aware of teachers in my own social circle who are totally against returning to school because of the health risks ,but their kids are at camogie, football etc, one has been in spain for a fortnight and the pubs don`t seem to be out of bounds.
a sense of perspective needs to be called for or else we all are in the shit..

and don`t get me started on the lessons our kids were supposed to have from March to June......

armaghniac

Quote from: naka on August 07, 2020, 12:40:57 PM
i think everyone outside of the  teachers unions know this is essential.
most of us in private business are struggling to keep people in jobs yet we know that people are in real difficulties with childcare etc, for this to change schools need to be functioning.
for me, this is a chance to radically change the education system and get more emphasis on the sciences, languages, and computers although the unions won`t agree.
i am aware of teachers in my own social circle who are totally against returning to school because of the health risks ,but their kids are at camogie, football etc, one has been in spain for a fortnight and the pubs don`t seem to be out of bounds.
a sense of perspective needs to be called for or else we all are in the shit..

and don`t get me started on the lessons our kids were supposed to have from March to June......

The sense of perspective required is that schools can only operate with the principles that are required by all of us in modern life, distancing, marks, cleaning etc. The problem is that the attitude is being taken that if these things are hard to achieve then you just forget about them, no doubt the meat factories took the same approach. But if you take shortcuts then you end up closed again anyway.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

naka

armaghniac i get this that we all have to be careful but we can`t keep schools closed. The reality is the Brits and the  Irish government   to their credit have thrown as much money as they could to keep people safe via Furlough, loans, grants etc but it will end soon.
everyone knows that there will be a car crash come the Autumn but we have to try and ensure that the damage caused is minimal.

Estimator

Quote from: tbrick18 on August 07, 2020, 12:26:52 PM
Quote from: ONeill on August 07, 2020, 10:07:28 AM

Who are NAS? Probably obvious....

Full title - NASUWT - National Association of Schoolmasters and Union of Women Teachers. They represent about 11k teachers in NI

Justin McCamphill was on Nolan this morning, stating that legal action could be taken against those schools that do not protect their staff by having proper systems in place to mitigate against Covid19
Ulster League Champions 2009

Minder

Quote from: tbrick18 on August 07, 2020, 09:02:22 AM

I don't agree. At a time when the R number is rising, they are sending all kids to school with no social distancing after previously saying they wouldn't do this.

However, it's not school as normal. Staggered start and end times, staggered lunches, class bubbles for some years and not for others.
My wife is a teacher and they have been told if a single child in a class has a temperature, the entire class is sent home to isolate. That means the families of each of those children and teacher must isolate. It won't be long until everyone is at home in isolation as we're coming into winter flu time. Kids always pick up bugs on return to school in September so even a sore throat will mean isolation for a class.
This won't help people get to work, it will make it impossible to be able to consistently go to work imo.

Would that child not just get tested ?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

marty34

Quote from: Minder on August 07, 2020, 03:11:51 PM

Hearing a lot of stuff about re-opening schools but why do they not test the children for Covid every 3 days or something?

Would that not be better?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: marty34 on August 07, 2020, 04:20:02 PM
Quote from: Minder on August 07, 2020, 03:11:51 PM

Hearing a lot of stuff about re-opening schools but why do they not test the children for Covid every 3 days or something?

Would that not be better?

How much would that cost? A typical test is £100 plus, the NHS send them out and its sent back to the likes of Randox to complete the rest.. would be a very expensive thing to do
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

From the Bunker

I think the teachers should start off where they finished up, here in the South. One e-mail at the beginning of the week with the schoolwork to be done for the week by the parents. The Teachers can copy and paste - change the page numbers and e-mail the following week and so on. It's far to dangerous for them to return to class. The service that teachers provide is invaluable. Parents will now respect the hard work that teachers do. Teachers really stood up to be counted during lockdown.  Not many realise this but Teachers spent every Sunday evening of their normal free time sending a schoolwork e-mail.

To be fair to the Schools they have been caught off guard as to preparing for a return. They have only known of this since mid-March, not enough time to get things sorted.

Smurfy123

The crying teachers union were always going to come back in August. They have had from March to get something sorted. Get out to work and get on with it like everyone else. Work does not continue unless kids are back full time. Parents are depending on this. It's ok to attend GAA MATCHES GO TO PUBS but the first word on going back and it's uproar

Jim Bob

Are schools going to be the only workplace where social distancing is going to be ignored?
Dangerous place to be !!