American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David McKeown

Great game there between the Pats and the Chiefs. I almost think they let the Chiefs score that last touchdown so that Brady could have the ball last. First 43-40 in NFL history.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Ball Hopper

Not much college football activity on here, mainly due to the fact that Alabama are considered to be streets ahead of everybody else.

AP Top 10 this week:

1 Alabama 7-0
2 Ohio State 7-0
3 Clemson 6-0
4 Notre Dame 7-0
5 LSU 6-1
6 Michigan 6-1
7 Texas 6-1
8 Georgia 6-1
9 Oklahoma 5-1
10 UCF 6-0

J70

Quote from: David McKeown on October 15, 2018, 04:31:24 AM
Great game there between the Pats and the Chiefs. I almost think they let the Chiefs score that last touchdown so that Brady could have the ball last. First 43-40 in NFL history.

Think it was the 2012 Super Bowl win when the Giants unintentionally scored a touchdown late on when they were trying to down it at the one yard line. They wanted to use up the clock and kick a field goal for a one point lead so that Brady would have very little time to get down the field. The Patriots, on the other hand, opened up and allow the Giants through. The Giants player tried to stop at the one yard line, but fell over into the end zone to get the touchdown. Fortunately for them, the Giants defense was good enough to hold out for the last minute against Brady and Welker (Gronkowski was injures).

David McKeown

Quote from: J70 on October 15, 2018, 03:10:04 PM
Quote from: David McKeown on October 15, 2018, 04:31:24 AM

Think it was the 2012 Super Bowl win when the Giants unintentionally scored a touchdown late on when they were trying to down it at the one yard line. They wanted to use up the clock and kick a field goal for a one point lead so that Brady would have very little time to get down the field. The Patriots, on the other hand, opened up and allow the Giants through. The Giants player tried to stop at the one yard line, but fell over into the end zone to get the touchdown. Fortunately for them, the Giants defense was good enough to hold out for the last minute against Brady and Welker (Gronkowski was injures).

Yeah I remember that well that's what made me think the very soft coverage may have been deliberate.

Minder

Didn't see the game but was the TD in question not a 75yd TD? Can't imagine them just giving up a TD from that distance, fair enough from 5 yds out maybe. Good luck to anyone chasing Tyreek Hill, not sure I have ever seen a faster player
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Minder on October 15, 2018, 09:56:08 PM
Didn't see the game but was the TD in question not a 75yd TD? Can't imagine them just giving up a TD from that distance, fair enough from 5 yds out maybe. Good luck to anyone chasing Tyreek Hill, not sure I have ever seen a faster player
His combine is on YouTube.

gallsman

The final TD was insane. One step after he turned and he was gone, even though he had to run in a big wide arc

David McKeown

Yeah I'm not saying they deliberately gave up the touchdown but I do think their scheme was deliberately inviting that sort of play. They had a single safety and no one even tried to go with Hill it seemed. Also there had only been one punt all game so the chances of them stopping the Chiefs were slim.  Brady said in post match interviews he was cheering for the Chiefs to score on their first play so that he'd get the ball back.

Minder

See Sky now have the NBA coverage for the next 4 years

rory

Aidan Igiehon commits to Louisville

https://www.balls.ie/newsnow/irish-aidan-harris-igiehon-commits-louisville-2019-399125

Be interesting to see how far he can go.  He'll be a star in College and hopefully can be an NBA starter too.....

Oraisteach

Browns trade Carlos Hyde to JAX.  Doesn't look good for Yeldon and Fourette, and that vaults Nick Chubb to a starting RB role with CLE.

Minder

Quote from: Oraisteach on October 19, 2018, 11:15:05 PM
Browns trade Carlos Hyde to JAX.  Doesn't look good for Yeldon and Fourette, and that vaults Nick Chubb to a starting RB role with CLE.

Yeah strange enough one I thought, he hadn't been doing anything special but I suppose there was no chance of him being on the team next year with Chubb waiting

gallsman

Quote from: Oraisteach on October 19, 2018, 11:15:05 PM

Both of whom I own ffs!

Oraisteach

DrinkingHarp

Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014