Gaels amalgamations

Started by The Monument Road, December 02, 2016, 01:18:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keyser Söze

Quote from: Don Draper on January 25, 2019, 03:47:20 PM
Illegal or not, no one objected, so therefore irrelevant.

What it means is the door is now wide open for Area Teams. This is a good thing for Laois Football/GAA.

No one objected but the original interpretation allowing Gaels teams at Senior A Hurling level also came from Croke Park. Shows up the GAA rule book for what it is. Dick Cheney would have a field day!

The old interpretation of a Gaels team playing Senior was that two or more intermediate teams could come together and play Senior. In the 1990s/200s you had
St Patrick's  (Borris & Kilcotton)
St Kieran's (as above)
Rosenallis/Ballyfin/Mountmellick
Castletown Gaels (With Slieve Bloom)
Clonaslee Gaels (With Rosenallis)
Tinnahinch (as above)

None of the above were Senior in their own right at the time. It was understood that if any of these teams won the intermediate the arrangement would automatically end.

What is really laughable is that the interpretation from Croke Park went from A-B-A with no rule change/rewording.

The one exception that I remember is Ballinakill Gaels (with Abbeyleix ) around 2000. AFAIK Ballinakill last won the intermediate in 94/95 and so must have been senior on their own.

Somebody above said that at least no illegal team won anything/ that is incorrect. The Harps and Rosenallis can feel aggrieved!
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

The PRO

Quote from: Keyser Söze on January 26, 2019, 12:13:55 PM
Somebody above said that at least no illegal team won anything/ that is incorrect. The Harps and Rosenallis can feel aggrieved!
That was me and yeah, you're spot on. I was only considering the senior football championship.
Was it Ballyfin Gaels and Castletown Gaels who denied Harps and Rosenallis senior B hurling titles?

Keyser Söze

No, Ballyfin Gaels beat The Harps in semi final in 2017z
Colt Gaels beat Rosenallis in the other semi final.
The final that year should really have been The Harps v Rosenallis (in my opinion)

Castletown won it on their own in 2016- beating Ballyfin Gaels (who beat Colt Gaels in the semi final).

The PRO

Quote from: Keyser Söze on January 28, 2019, 10:02:17 PM
The final that year should really have been The Harps v Rosenallis (in my opinion)

Castletown won it on their own in 2016- beating Ballyfin Gaels (who beat Colt Gaels in the semi final).
Thanks for that. I hear the loss of Mountmellick hurlers to the Ballyfin team will be massive. They (Ballyfin) are very concerned about their chances of even surviving in Senior B.

Heshs Umpire

Always had my doubts about the legality of the way Laois allowed the Gaels set ups in recent years. If it was that straightforward, why was no other county doing it? If there was another county doing it, I haven't heard.
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

burdizzo

Quote from: The PRO on January 29, 2019, 08:06:19 AM

Thanks for that. I hear the loss of Mountmellick hurlers to the Ballyfin team will be massive. They (Ballyfin) are very concerned about their chances of even surviving in Senior B.

The Senior B will be quite weak this year. Personally, I fancy Colt - w/out the Clonad lads - to go down, but Mountrath, Shanahoe, Slieve Bloom, and Clonaslee aren't good, either. Any of them could go down and not go straight back up from intermediate. I think Ballyfin should be OK.

The PRO

Quote from: burdizzo on January 30, 2019, 07:11:17 PM
Quote from: The PRO on January 29, 2019, 08:06:19 AM

The Senior B will be quite weak this year. Personally, I fancy Colt - w/out the Clonad lads - to go down, but Mountrath, Shanahoe, Slieve Bloom, and Clonaslee aren't good, either. Any of them could go down and not go straight back up from intermediate. I think Ballyfin should be OK.
So Rosenallis v Harps final?!!!

Keyser Söze

I'd be surprised if one of those two don't win it.

The PRO

This should lead to a reform of the senior football championship structure. I'd like to see the number of senior clubs reduced to 9 and three area teams making it up to 12 teams in the championship.
Based on last year's quarter finalists if I remember them rightly, Portlaoise, O'Dempseys, St Joseph's, Graiguecullen, Ballyroan Abbey, Stradbally, Emo and Portarlington would be senior clubs. Throw in Ballylinan as 2017 finalists for an example as the ninth senior club.
Then you could have 3 very decent area teams. One would be Mountmellick, Ballyfin, Clonaslee area, one would be Killeshin, Crettyard, the Arles teams etc and one would be Heath, Annanough, Courtwood, Timahoe etc.

Moregroundhurling

Quote from: The PRO on February 07, 2019, 11:41:11 AM
This should lead to a reform of the senior football championship structure. I'd like to see the number of senior clubs reduced to 9 and three area teams making it up to 12 teams in the championship.
Based on last year's quarter finalists if I remember them rightly, Portlaoise, O'Dempseys, St Joseph's, Graiguecullen, Ballyroan Abbey, Stradbally, Emo and Portarlington would be senior clubs. Throw in Ballylinan as 2017 finalists for an example as the ninth senior club.
Then you could have 3 very decent area teams. One would be Mountmellick, Ballyfin, Clonaslee area, one would be Killeshin, Crettyard, the Arles teams etc and one would be Heath, Annanough, Courtwood, Timahoe etc.

There are 16 teams, some of those teams would have no chance in winning a senior B if the championship was split in two. Something needs to be done alright, personally I'd rather see senior A and senior B ahead of regionals.

Don Draper

Quote from: Moregroundhurling on February 07, 2019, 09:44:10 PM

There are 16 teams, some of those teams would have no chance in winning a senior B if the championship was split in two. Something needs to be done alright, personally I'd rather see senior A and senior B ahead of regionals.
So f**k the players in junior and intermediate clubs who want to get exposure at a higher level? So nothing changes really, and we continue to have more and more poaching of players.

Laoiseabu

The pick of Killeshin Crettyard and the two Arles clubs would do a fair job on Emo if that's the case

The PRO

Quote from: Laoiseabu on February 08, 2019, 01:35:25 AM
The pick of Killeshin Crettyard and the two Arles clubs would do a fair job on Emo if that's the case
And so what if they did? If Emo or anyone else of the top 9 can't survive in senior, they move down intermediate and join their own area team. As it happens, my post above was wrong and Killeshin were actually senior quarter finalists last year.
Maybe 12 senior clubs and 4 slightly weaker area teams would be another way to do it? Two area teams is too few. They could be very strong.
Anyway, the number of senior clubs needs to come down. A lot of people saying too many of them are just treading water. If they are good enough they'll either survive a full or come straight back up out of intermediate.

From the Terrace

im not sure area teams would work in laois. I think when it would come down to the crunch with the area teams, clubs would hold back players. The idea 3 clubs form into one would be a disaster for communities all over the county. The county board needs to reduce the number of senior to 10/12 imo, thus improving the standard of our intermediate & junior championships.

The PRO

Quote from: From the Terrace on February 08, 2019, 11:34:37 AMThe county board needs to reduce the number of senior to 10/12 imo, thus improving the standard of our intermediate & junior championships.
100% agree. But there has to be a pathway for a guy like Richie Hitchcock or Rob Tyrrell or Killian Horgan to play senior championship football. And area teams is the way to do that. How many area teams is the question?
They said players might not buy in to the divisional competitions organised last October but in the main, they did. I think the same could happen with area senior teams.