Official 2016 Summer Olympics Rio Thread

Started by DrinkingHarp, July 25, 2016, 02:10:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrinkingHarp

10 days till opening ceremonies.

Which events are you looking most forward to?

For myself:

Sprints
Decathalon
Discus/Shot Put/Javelin
Long Jump
Swimming
Female Beach Volleyball ;)

Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

Capt Pat

The boxing obviously as it is Irelands best event.

Tony Baloney

Very little I wouldn't watch at it but I think there will be a whole upheaval from any athlete finishing second to a Russian athlete. Also, in general I don't think tennis, golf, football etc. should be included.

JimStynes

I could watch any of the events really. My top 3 though would be boxing, swimming and the 100-400m sprint events.

stew

Get rid of professionals forever, anyone who is caught on the juice gets a lifetime ban.

It is a bit rich that the yanks took a swipe at the IOC considering their own doping record, that said the Russians should have been banned en masse.

I used to love the Olympics, no longer.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

gallsman

Be interesting to see the viewing figures for the Golf. I'll not be amongst them.

The usual for me - swimming and gynastics the first week, athletics the second and the boxing throughout.

JimStynes

A competition for the best athletes and best chemists on the planet.

stew

Quote from: gallsman on July 25, 2016, 01:55:50 PM
Be interesting to see the viewing figures for the Golf. I'll not be amongst them.

The usual for me - swimming and gynastics the first week, athletics the second and the boxing throughout.

I dunno, if one of the Irish lads was going you might, I know I would.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

gallsman

Quote from: stew on July 25, 2016, 02:44:30 PM
Quote from: gallsman on July 25, 2016, 01:55:50 PM

I dunno, if one of the Irish lads was going you might, I know I would.

Nope - I can't watch golf for hours on end anyway so when you throw in sketchiness over whether it should even be an Olympic sport, I'll not bother at all.

imtommygunn

We have good chances of medalling in the boxing although I see there are some pros in it now which may impact the chances.

Be interesting to see how Mageean gets on in the 1500 and English in the 800. Both did well in their respective races friday. 

The golf I wouldn't be that interested in but at least maybe a medal chance.

I know of a few of the marathon folks too so will be interested to see how they get on but it will be a race within a race as the africans will win them easily so it will just be interesting to see the times.

Hound

Not sure what I'm looking forward to. Any sport with an Irish involvement I'm sure I'll look at, including the golf if Harrington somehow contends. I had a look at potential other medal contenders (apart from the obvious boxing where they all have a chance).

Only 2 Irishmen involved on the track in the athletics (and none in the field of course) - English (800m) and Barr (400mH). A few involved in the marathon and walks.
Presumably Hefferenan in the walk is our only athletics medal chance, and an outside one at that.

Men's hockey team have qualified. Aiming for a QF place (top 4 in a 6 team group qualify), and if they get there you never know, but it would be a massive suprise if they medalled.

Only 3 Irish swimmers involved.

Equestrian guys might have a chance of a medal, in particular Broderick in the showjumping.

A male duo called Seaton and McGovern are supposed to be live medal contenders in the sailing in the 49er class.
Annelise Murphy will be hoping to go one better than in London. Although she needs it windy and this location is not known for strong winds at this time of year.

Arthur Lannigan O'Keeffe may be a medal contender in the Modern Pentathlon.

Three rowing teams qualified, our best chance of a medal supposed to be Paul and Gary O'Donovan in the lightweight double sculls.

Dan Martin and Nicholas Roche might have outside chances of a medal in the cycling road race.