Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NAG1

Quote from: thebigfella on December 09, 2020, 02:24:47 PM
Quote from: Denn Forever on December 09, 2020, 12:23:45 PM
The players didn't seem to know how to play the system.  Wing back reveted  to center back mode leaving their left back  score a rehearsed move.

Is this not the same system used to beat PSG in Paris?

Yeah but the other team in this case didnt set up the same way. Their CF dropped deep and they overloaded the midfield area. This meant that the CBs didnt know whether to go and press up or to drop off and wing backs go dragged inside chasing shadows allowing the space on the wings to be exploited. Poor in the extreme.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: thebigfella on December 09, 2020, 02:24:47 PM
Quote from: Denn Forever on December 09, 2020, 12:23:45 PM
The players didn't seem to know how to play the system.  Wing back reveted  to center back mode leaving their left back  score a rehearsed move.

Is this not the same system used to beat PSG in Paris?

No Maguire in that match seemed to help? Manchester United showed how inconsistent there are in that Champions league group. Bet every team in the group and lost to every team.

Ed Ricketts

Wan Bissaka is United's problem in a nutshell.

They have several excellent players, enough to occasionally pull out impressive results, but the squad depth isn't what it needs to be to develop consistency. And the squad isn't deep enough because too much of the money is wasted on lads that never hit the level like Wan Bissaka.

Wan Bissaka, Lindelof, Shaw, Bailly, Jones, Rojo, Dalot, Martial, Fred, James - all lads still on the books that were signed in the early years of their careers with the expectation that they'd develop into the quality of player United need to be challenging. But almost all have failed to do so.

Is it a scouting failure, and these players never possessed the potential to begin with? Or is it a coaching failure, and these players are not exposed to the quality of coaching that should be standard at a club of United's calibre?

For my money it's a bit of both. United still seem to do youth production quite well, but senior players don't seem to improve much upon joining. This has been going on a for a decade, but it has to be said that Solskjaer's coaching ticket looks particularly sub-standard. Scouting too looks a mess. Woodward gloated that United's extensive network tracked 804 right backs before settling on Wan Bissaka last year. Notwithstanding that this is probably exaggerated bullshit, it does hint at a bloated and ineffective system that isn't working anywhere near as well as systems at most of the club's rivals.

The owners don't spend enough of the money the club generates on playing staff, but they do loosen the purse strings more than is admitted by many. Their bigger failure is perhaps not investing enough in the non-playing staff.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

Capt Pat

I don't support either team but what a disappointing game this is. I was expecting fireworks with all the attacking talent on display.

snoopdog

Worst manchester derby that I can remember.

Capt Pat

They both played for a draw and only brought on one sub each to try and win the game.

Cunny Funt

0-0 a fair result two goalkeepers underworked with just 4 saves between them. United needed a draw/clean sheet against PSG, RB Leipzig just typical they got both tonight.

United stay ahead of City in the table but I'm not sure how much of a positive that is as that City side like last season are unlikely to mount a title challenge.

Maroon Manc

Match was a non event, just very disappointed De Gea & Pogba both started; Its a mistake every few weeks from De Gea, really don't get it.

I'm hoping Pogba is gone in January and think its a strong possibility too, United could do with a central midfielder who can play in front of the back 4 who's good on the ball, not sure if VDB has the qualities to play there. Its a really busy next few weeks for United so the strength of the squad is going to be tested with 6 games in 17 days.

Cunny Funt

The short straw drawn in cup competition for United under Ole once again. Real Sociedad the current La Liga leaders.

At least it makes for a interesting Europa league tie.

NAG1

Quote from: Cunny Funt on December 14, 2020, 01:47:04 PM
The short straw drawn in cup competition for United under Ole once again. Real Sociedad the current La Liga leaders.

At least it makes for a interesting Europa league tie.

Tough tie, but better to get it early. Either win and pick up the confidence from that or get beaten and avoid the additional games and the stupid schedule that the Thursday nights bring.

thebigfella

Amazing how the results at the weekend change the perspective of the point picked up.

Cunny Funt

Deserved win with a few shaky moments. Sheffield United are bottom but they are competitive in each of their home games this season. Their goals came from a Henderson error and from a corner that should have been a goal kick.

Rashford was at his best, great team play on his 2nd and Uniteds 3rd goal and a confidence boosting goal for Martial.

10 away league wins in a row first Premier league team to do that since that very consistent Man City team in 2017. Imagine where they could be in the table if they could sort out the dreadful home form?

Maroon Manc

United great to watch at times but 2 more appalling goals conceded. Too much made of Pogba's performance, can handle him giving the ball away with his long passes but time and time again he gets caught in possession in dangerous areas outside his own box; He was lucky last night that they didn't have the quality to take advantage.

Just looked at the fixtures, once again United shafted at xmas. By the time they play Villa on New Years day they'll have played 5 games in 16 days whilst Liverpool will have played 4 games in 20 days. Its important Rashford & Fernandes aren't flogged over the next few weeks.

Jeepers Creepers

Yes thought Pogba played well enough but again caught out cheaply which lead to the corner for their second goal. Two terrible goals to concede. Nevermind the first c**k up I thought Henderson could/should have saved the second one? No leadership on the pitch once Fernandez goes off.

thebigfella

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on December 18, 2020, 12:31:35 PM
Yes thought Pogba played well enough but again caught out cheaply which lead to the corner for their second goal. Two terrible goals to concede. Nevermind the first c**k up I thought Henderson could/should have saved the second one? No leadership on the pitch once Fernandez goes off.

Yeah I thought that too and that save in the 90th minute you'd expect a top class keeper to make despite the pundits shite talk.

He'll get plenty more chances this season but that performance should kill the no.1 debate in the media for a while. If that was Pickford (or De Gea) in nets for this 2 goals, they'd be getting crucified. Also I don't buy this "he's probably not getting enough game time to be fresh crap", Romero (I may be wrong) was always able to step in and delivery top class performances.