'GAA Athletes for a No Vote'

Started by Jinxy, April 21, 2018, 08:17:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Quote from: seafoid on April 25, 2018, 05:39:03 AM
Quote from: ck on April 25, 2018, 04:52:26 AM
Mickey Harte is entitled to his views, which are basically right wing fundamentalist Catholic in origin. I don't like his views and I don't like that he uses his GAA profile to try go influence how women should live their lives in Ireland, but he's entitled to do what he wants. Same way women should be entitled to live as they choose and not be told what to do by an outdated law.
My wife is fond of quoting Dr Phil of US TV fame who says "never miss an opportunity to shut up".
Mickey should take that on board imo.  He is entitled to his opinion but only between consenting adults.

I bet she is.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Jinxy on April 25, 2018, 10:58:03 AM
Quote from: seafoid on April 25, 2018, 05:39:03 AM
Quote from: ck on April 25, 2018, 04:52:26 AM
Mickey Harte is entitled to his views, which are basically right wing fundamentalist Catholic in origin. I don't like his views and I don't like that he uses his GAA profile to try go influence how women should live their lives in Ireland, but he's entitled to do what he wants. Same way women should be entitled to live as they choose and not be told what to do by an outdated law.
My wife is fond of quoting Dr Phil of US TV fame who says "never miss an opportunity to shut up".
Mickey should take that on board imo.  He is entitled to his opinion but only between consenting adults.

I bet she is.

:)

trueblue1234

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 25, 2018, 07:34:30 AM
Yeah while i don't agree with him here are one or two, tyrone people at that, with ridiculous vendettas against him on here. It has ruined some of those tyrone threads.

Two in particular who add nothing and just clog up the threads with the same topic. The local board used to be good to read for information. Now it's like a child's playground and the same circular arguments. Would wreck your head.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Itchy

Quote from: Jinxy on April 25, 2018, 10:08:27 AM
Mickey Harte: Co Cavan GAA club complains about pro-life video filmed at its ground

'A GAA club in Co Cavan has complained to the Tyrone board after it claimed the county's manager Mickey Harte filmed a pro-life video at its ground without permission.

Mr Harte is a prominent member of Gaelic Athletes for Life - a group which is campaigning for a 'No' vote in next month's abortion referendum in the Republic.

Cootehill Celtic said the pro-life video, part of a separate LoveBoth campaign, was filmed at its ground without its knowledge or consent.'

http://www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandnews/2018/04/25/news/mickey-harte-co-cavan-gaa-club-complains-about-pro-life-video-filmed-at-its-ground-1313296/

Did Mickey just wander in off the road?
Surely somebody from the club knew he was there.

Maybe a renegade from within the club agreed it without sanction from the club committee?

BennyHarp

Quote from: southtyronegael on April 25, 2018, 10:44:44 AM
And also I think mickeys stunts have been a huge own goal for the no campaign. It has really revved up the yes side and alot of undecided voters will prob want disassociate themselves from religious fundamentalism and vote yes.

I disagree - the Brexit debate changed the playing field for referendum campaigning. The problem with a referendum is that neither of the two sides of the debate are necessarily responsible for the fall out of the results therefore can use any means necessary to get their information out into the public domain, regardless of the legality or legitimacy of the methods or the information. The higher the profile of the information - the better. Look at the Leave campaign's bus slogan - it was ridiculed by all in sundry but got a message across even if the detail was incorrect. People who may be inclined to vote no will be galvanised by Harte's stunt. It has grabbed the narrative in the media and outrage / hatred shown by the likes of yourself against Harte and his message will encourage people to mobilise and support the NO campaign. One could argue that Harte has played you guys like a fiddle - 17 pages in a few days on the Gaa Section of the gaaboard (his target market don't forget) is impressive for a non GAA issue. The YES campaign will have to go some over the coming days to regain control of the debate in my view.
That was never a square ball!!

Rossfan

Most if the chat here is saying Harte and his crew were out of order.
Little chat about the subject of the Referendum itself.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

southtyronegael

Yes benny, 17 pages and almost all comments negative towards Harte and his crew. So how can that help the no side?

Jinxy

Jinxy

Quote from: Itchy on April 25, 2018, 12:07:52 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on April 25, 2018, 10:08:27 AM
Mickey Harte: Co Cavan GAA club complains about pro-life video filmed at its ground

'A GAA club in Co Cavan has complained to the Tyrone board after it claimed the county's manager Mickey Harte filmed a pro-life video at its ground without permission.

Mr Harte is a prominent member of Gaelic Athletes for Life - a group which is campaigning for a 'No' vote in next month's abortion referendum in the Republic.

Cootehill Celtic said the pro-life video, part of a separate LoveBoth campaign, was filmed at its ground without its knowledge or consent.'

http://www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandnews/2018/04/25/news/mickey-harte-co-cavan-gaa-club-complains-about-pro-life-video-filmed-at-its-ground-1313296/

Did Mickey just wander in off the road?
Surely somebody from the club knew he was there.

Maybe a renegade from within the club agreed it without sanction from the club committee?

Plenty of renegades up in that neck of the woods.

vallankumous

Quote from: southtyronegael on April 25, 2018, 12:58:58 PM
Yes benny, 17 pages and almost all comments negative towards Harte and his crew. So how can that help the no side?

We tend to shout louder and be heard more when we are giving out.
For example, if i agree with a post you made i wouldn't bother replying to it. However, if I disagree we could go on for pages disagreeing about it.

BennyHarp

I don't think Mickey's stunt will particularly sway peoples view - its so deeply personal that I think the vast majority will have made or make up their own mind on the issue. The key thing is to get people out to vote and the outpouring of, in some cases, downright venom towards Mickey et al and their views, will galvanise and maybe mobilise those no voters. I don't imagine anyone who was thinking of voting no because they believe they are saving the life of an unborn child are going to sway their vote to yes because Mickey Harte held an unsanctioned skills session and pro-life media event in a GAA club.

Orchard park

Quote from: BennyHarp on April 25, 2018, 02:39:48 PM

I don't think Mickey's stunt will particularly sway peoples view - its so deeply personal that I think the vast majority will have made or make up their own mind on the issue. The key thing is to get people out to vote and the outpouring of, in some cases, downright venom towards Mickey et al and their views, will galvanise and maybe mobilise those no voters. I don't imagine anyone who was thinking of voting no because they believe they are saving the life of an unborn child are going to sway their vote to yes because Mickey Harte held an unsanctioned skills session and pro-life media event in a GAA club.

so does Mickey deserve a proverbial toe up the arse for trying to generate a GAA vote or do you think he is ok because of his "beliefs"

BennyHarp

Quote from: Orchard park on April 25, 2018, 02:45:32 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on April 25, 2018, 02:39:48 PM

so does Mickey deserve a proverbial toe up the arse for trying to generate a GAA vote or do you think he is ok because of his "beliefs"

Of course he does, it was cynical and wrong. But I'd say he'd think it was well worth it if the NO vote wins.

BennyCake

I do agree with Harte on his abortion stance, but disagree with how he went about it.

He has influence, but there is more societal issues that he could be addressing: benefit cuts, zero hour contracts, mental health funding, and I don't recall hearing from him when the banks screwed the people over. Ok there's only so much one man can do, but these kind of issues affect more people than the abortion referendum. Join up with Brolly and address such issues.

Syferus

Quote from: BennyCake on April 25, 2018, 07:09:30 PM
I do agree with Harte on his abortion stance, but disagree with how he went about it.

He has influence, but there is more societal issues that he could be addressing: benefit cuts, zero hour contracts, mental health funding, and I don't recall hearing from him when the banks screwed the people over. Ok there's only so much one man can do, but these kind of issues affect more people than the abortion referendum. Join up with Brolly and address such issues.

What the fĂșck?