Official Irish Football Association Thread (Northern Ireland)

Started by Mentalman, September 04, 2007, 11:39:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

michaelg

Quote from: michaelg on October 15, 2015, 09:07:42 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on October 15, 2015, 07:43:51 PM
Quote from: stew on October 14, 2015, 10:35:33 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on October 12, 2015, 11:41:41 PM
I'd say it would be a fairly safe bet that if you took a cross section of a well attended GAA match in NI a fair percentage would hold Sectarian views or maybe just be partial to the odd 'Chucky' song.

Correct.

You seem to ignore that which doesn't chime with your own assumptions and preconceptions (don't worry, it's a recognised human frailty condition, psychologically, termed 'confirmation bias'). Let me remind you, however, of a post a little further back that you may have glossed over, and which is based on that which the contributor has actually experienced, recently:

Quote from: Bazil Douglas on October 10, 2015, 10:08:32 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on October 10, 2015, 05:06:42 PM
Does everyone singing that song associate it with that? I wouldn't have thought so?

Food for thought. My sister who works with disadvantaged and troublesome youth from east Belfast once asked a group of lads what was the significance of this song [bouncy song] being sung on the terraces, they explained it was a reference to dancing on Roberts Hamills head, when she questioned her husband (who is from Rathcoole) he explained that the song was about for years, but when sung at Ibrox or Windsor terraces it was a reference to R Hamill, and most protestants who attend these matches were aware of its relevance but sang along for the atmosphere ,just as most catholics were aware of the significance of singing the roll of honor.

Not pleasant reading, for any of us perhaps, but let's not be afraid to confront, from wherever it arises.
Give it up man.  The statement highlighed above is absolute shite.
What about Limerick City FC and their singing of the bouncy?  They refering to R Hamill or they just doing it for a bit of craic?

snoopdog

What the f**k is the bouncy?  I will Prob know it if I see lyrics?
I'm from the North. I won't support them but we'll done on getting qualification, 86 is a long time ago but since then nothing has been done that I can see to get catholics behind the team I don't understand why any would play for them under that anthem and fleg buy that's there choice.  Enjoy the tournament. I'm more worried about Monaghan v Down in 1st round of ulster next June. 

T Fearon

Bouncy wouncy  bouncy wouncy doot doot doot doot da dum.

Don't think it refers to the tragic murder of Robert Hamill to be honest.Presumably those who call for the IFA to drop the fleg and anthem would be apoplectic if the GAA followed Jarlath Burns advice and did likewise.

Fear ón Srath Bán

I'd say it would be a fairly safe bet that if you took a cross section of a well attended GAA match in NI a fair percentage would hold Sectarian views or maybe just be partial to the odd 'Chucky' song.

Correct.

You seem to ignore that which doesn't chime with your own assumptions and preconceptions (don't worry, it's a recognised human frailty condition, psychologically, termed 'confirmation bias'). Let me remind you, however, of a post a little further back that you may have glossed over, and which is based on that which the contributor has actually experienced, recently:

Does everyone singing that song associate it with that? I wouldn't have thought so?

Food for thought. My sister who works with disadvantaged and troublesome youth from east Belfast once asked a group of lads what was the significance of this song [bouncy song] being sung on the terraces, they explained it was a reference to dancing on Roberts Hamills head, when she questioned her husband (who is from Rathcoole) he explained that the song was about for years, but when sung at Ibrox or Windsor terraces it was a reference to R Hamill, and most protestants who attend these matches were aware of its relevance but sang along for the atmosphere ,just as most catholics were aware of the significance of singing the roll of honor.

Not pleasant reading, for any of us perhaps, but let's not be afraid to confront, from wherever it arises.

So you don't believe personal testimony?

I wish too it weren't true, but suck it up, and it rots.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

armaghniac

Quote from: T Fearon on October 15, 2015, 10:40:06 PM

Don't think it refers to the tragic murder of Robert Hamill to be honest.Presumably those who call for the IFA to drop the fleg and anthem would be apoplectic if the GAA followed Jarlath Burns advice and did likewise.

No reasonable person sees any equivalence between the IFA, an organisations representing a sectarian entity, and the GAA.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

5 Sams

Brian McGuigan had a very interesting article in the Gaelic Life today. He was at the Ireland Germany game in the Aviva but made it very clear his own country (OWC) was forefront in his mind.
The Aristocrat Years

east down gael

Did the loyalist flute band not do the bouncy outside st pats chapel in Belfast?i'm sure offending nationalists was the last thing they intended aswell.if I was a member of a group of soccer supporters who did a dance or a song that was in any way construed as glorifying the murder of an innocent man I would probably desist from that behaviour.
   However,that is highly unlikely to happen at a gaa match.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: east down gael on October 15, 2015, 11:52:35 PM
Did the loyalist flute band not do the bouncy outside st pats chapel in Belfast?i'm sure offending nationalists was the last thing they intended aswell.if I was a member of a group of soccer supporters who did a dance or a song that was in any way construed as glorifying the murder of an innocent man I would probably desist from that behaviour.
   However,that is highly unlikely to happen at a gaa match.
Not looking bad in public isn't top of loyalism's agenda :)

east down gael

It definitely isn't!i do feel for the genuine supporters of the team though,and they would in fairness be the majority.i would never support the team.the 'our wee country' stuff,although harmless, turns me off completely.its the bouncy,union jacks,god save the queen which instead of not supporting them makes me wish they don't do well.

JPGJOHNNYG

Personally I dont care what the GAA do regarding anthems and flegs but you cant compare the 2. Only a couple of days ago we had Jim Boyce in the newsletter claiming the football team has united the whole country (owc that is). This is a guy who was head of the IFA for 12 years and although things have improved the big elephants in the room have been completely ignored.  You know all is not well when former players have publicly said the anthem should go and that the stadium should be somewhere else. Lets also remember that the IFA are keen to accuse the FAI of poaching all the time and yet are not prepared to address the actual root of the problems. Since I can remember (early eighties) to the present Northern Ireland has been quite evenly represented by both communities which makes the head in sand policy all the more appalling. The anthem needs to be changed British regions/countries like Scotland and Wales have their own anthems. The flag is a difficult one but why use a defunct government flag for a sporting team, the IFA used the St Patricks flag for the first 75 odd years of its existence. The stadium is undergoing redevelopment so it looks like its Windsor for the foreseeable future with the IFA giving their darlings Linfield a massive advantage over the other Irish league teams. The one plus side is the area that was once a very intimidating place to go to has seen unbelievable demographic change in the last 15 years with quite a large migrant community too making the area slowly more neutral.

michaelg

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on October 15, 2015, 11:34:49 PM

Correct.

A poster's, sister's husband who thinks that those who sing it are aware of its relevance, is not what I would call personal testimony.

michaelg

Quote from: east down gael on October 16, 2015, 12:08:55 AM
It definitely isn't!i do feel for the genuine supporters of the team though,and they would in fairness be the majority.i would never support the team.the 'our wee country' stuff,although harmless, turns me off completely.its the bouncy,union jacks,god save the queen which instead of not supporting them makes me wish they don't do well.

Do you even know where the 'our wee country stuff' come from?  See the link below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5j3P2edmlsE

If this turns you off completely, you are clearly easily offended.  Your admission that you want the team to lose, says it all too.  Would your not wanting the team not to do well / lose, not be exactly the same as a loyalist from the Shankill wanting the Ireland rugny team to lose because of the Soldiers Song etc?

muppet

Finally Tony, you are beginning to talk some sense.  :D
MWWSI 2017

Bazil Douglas

Quote from: michaelg on October 16, 2015, 05:36:04 PM

Correct.

A poster's, sister's husband who thinks that those who sing it are aware of its relevance, is not what I would call personal testimony.

Jez lad, calm down the post wasn't meant as a factual, or gospel truth, statement as I said food for thought, the subject came up in a general conversation, the guy is a NI supporter has been since the 70s just thought he might be better qualified to form an opinion considering his back ground. But hey opinions are like assholes everyone has one. I apologise if it dosen't fit in with your rosy happy families ideas of yer beloved team.

michaelg

Quote from: Bazil Douglas on October 16, 2015, 07:15:25 PM
Quote from: michaelg on October 16, 2015, 05:36:04 PM

Correct.

Jez lad, calm down the post wasn't meant as a factual, or gospel truth, statement as I said food for thought, the subject came up in a general conversation, the guy is a NI supporter has been since the 70s just thought he might be better qualified to form an opinion considering his back ground. But hey opinions are like assholes everyone has one. I apologise if it dosen't fit in with your rosy happy families ideas of yer beloved team.
I've been a supporter the same length of time, so I am equally well qualified to form and state an opinion.  Go ahead and believe whatever opinion best supports your own pre-conceived ideas about the NI football team.