Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Franko

Dunloy will be back, but so will Slaughtneil.

I can see these two teams competing regularly for USHC honours for a few years to come and with both sides being so young I'd hope we have some cracking encounters ahead.

Hejustkeepsdroppingballs

Sleeping Giant and Jesusjones

The pups may not have bit yesterday and there may be a few more academy sessions needed as you both say. It is though great to be back at the top of Antrim hurling which was the main aim for us. I hope you 2 enjoyed that success which is sad really but in reality its all you will have for the foreseeable future as loughguille/cushendall are well behind us and we are only getting started.

Slaughtneil a very good team and no doubt they will improve year on year as will we and it will be interesting the next time we meet which will be next year I can safely say

A great year from our boys you can hold your heads up high and never worry about the keyboard warriors

johnneycool

Got listening to a bit of Sidey and Tosh on the radio on the way home.

Sidey made a comment about how come there were 6k in Owenbeg to watch two club teams in the Ulster Club championship, yet if Derry and Antrim were to play at the same venue in the Ulster Championship there'd only be 300 odd at it. No answers were forthcoming from the mighty tosh other than gushing over Slaughtneil.

IMO it's very simple.
Firstly clubs are more evenly matched in terms of resources and secondly you're only 60 odd minutes away from an AI final where you've a real chance to compete as can be seen by the Dall getting to a recent final and Loughgeil winning in a few years prior to it.

The current Ulster Championship is a total waste of time and should possibly be mothballed till it can become meaningful again.

The Ulster Council should put the huge resources that go behind it to better use elsewhere in hurling  8)

Sleeping giant

Quote from: Hejustkeepsdroppingballs on October 09, 2017, 11:50:31 AM

The pups may not have bit yesterday and there may be a few more academy sessions needed as you both say. It is though great to be back at the top of Antrim hurling which was the main aim for us. I hope you 2 enjoyed that success which is sad really but in reality its all you will have for the foreseeable future as loughguille/cushendall are well behind us and we are only getting started.

Slaughtneil a very good team and no doubt they will improve year on year as will we and it will be interesting the next time we meet which will be next year I can safely say

A great year from our boys you can hold your heads up high and never worry about the keyboard warriors
i didn't enjoy anything about it.  it was simply a small dig at you after your mad comment.  had Dunloy won ulster id have no problem supporting them across the border.  so chill man!!   also when's the last time use beat loughgiel in championship?  id doubt its just gonna be straight forward dominantion.  it is great for Antrim hurling that a young dunloy team is back and back to stay, but don't go ingraving big ears years in advance mate. just incase  :o
1983 & 2012 All Ireland Champions.

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: Sleeping giant on October 09, 2017, 01:05:50 PM

i didn't enjoy anything about it.  it was simply a small dig at you after your mad comment.  had Dunloy won ulster id have no problem supporting them across the border.  so chill man!!   also when's the last time use beat loughgiel in championship?  id doubt its just gonna be straight forward dominantion.  it is great for Antrim hurling that a young dunloy team is back and back to stay, but don't go ingraving big ears years in advance mate. just incase  :o

Instead of bragging about who is better can we not discuss how a Derry club has beat the Antrim champions two years in a row
I was in Armagh last year for the Ulster final  for SN v LG
Same pattern
Wasn't the hurling that let us down but being subjected to containment due to superior physical conditioning
SN has a serious player base to select from at underage compared to Antrim clubs and can be more selective about what type of player to draw on
Strong athletic and a great desire to close down ball holders
We also lost the Christy ring to big strong men
Are we falling behind on the S&C side of things
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

NAG1

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on October 09, 2017, 01:37:58 PM
Quote from: Sleeping giant on October 09, 2017, 01:05:50 PM

Instead of bragging about who is better can we not discuss how a Derry club has beat the Antrim champions two years in a row
I was in Armagh last year for the Ulster final  for SN v LG
Same pattern
Wasn't the hurling that let us down but being subjected to containment due to superior physical conditioning
SN has a serious player base to select from at underage compared to Antrim clubs and can be more selective about what type of player to draw on
Strong athletic and a great desire to close down ball holders
We also lost the Christy ring to big strong men
Are we falling behind on the S&C side of things

I think it came a year or too early for Dunloy and to be fair they ran into a battle hardened outfit in SN. There is always a mix required especially in these bigger games, you need the light fast forwards but you always need ball winners to go with them. Across Antrim we are probably suffering slightly at the minute with producing strong men/ characters that can play and win their own ball.

The game has changed tactically with the possession type game, but to be successful on days like yesterday you basically need to front up and win your battle man on man and if your team is winning 70% plus of these then you are going places.

Na Glinntí Glasa

the first 5 mins we got to hurl but from that point on wards Sneill shut us down up front. They closed down the space and surrounded each and every person on the ball. i was impressed with how they closed us down in terms of possession and work rate.

Do i think they are a better hurling side, no, but they do have a brilliant work rate for the full hour and their hunger and desire is hard to match. they are most def a well drilled team who have been pushing at this for the past 5 years and it showed yesterday.

I wasnt gutted about being beat yday rather disappointed we didn't show up the same as we did in the Antrim final. Its been a great year for the club and with 3 more finals this weekend in football and camogie we still have a lot to look forward to
hurl like f**k boi!

BlacknAmber

Quote from: NAG1 on October 09, 2017, 09:41:09 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 09, 2017, 09:12:34 AM
2 Derry teams putting out Antrim teams! Fair play to whatever they are doing in Derry club hurling but we need to look at why we arent competing with them.. Its a non contest at county level but those results 2 years running doesnt make good reading..

SN are just in one of those periods for the club that they have a great bunch all together, looking at the under age results they are not bringing much through so they may have to make hay.

Lavey are a senior team and expected them to win this one.

We can learn from them in terms of the way the approach these games and the physicality they bring, but I wouldnt be panicking just yet.

Ps must be galling for Ballycastle to watch two of their own club men involved yesterday with them pretty much in crisis mode.

Not galling at all...the town people wish Michael & Cormac every success with SN, they are clubmen through and through and always will be. They've served time in our club, it's our players that need to step up and show their worth & hunger. I've no doubt the two lads will be back at the helm in the future....when our lads have decided to commit to the cause. Best of luck to Michael, Cormac & the SN panel in the Ulster final. Doing fine work there!

theskull1

Quote from: BlacknAmber on October 09, 2017, 04:34:51 PM
Not galling at all...the town people wish Michael & Cormac every success with SN, they are clubmen through and through and always will be. They've served time in our club, it's our players that need to step up and show their worth & hunger. I've no doubt the two lads will be back at the helm in the future....when our lads have decided to commit to the cause. Best of luck to Michael, Cormac & the SN panel in the Ulster final. Doing fine work there!

Best of luck to the loyal footmen in the years ahead who be doing the heavy lifting in their club trying to turn things around. Without them there'd never be a need for the cavalry
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Sleeping giant

twice in the history of the ulster championship.  hardly major cause for concern.  it's just a really good solid Slaughneil team.  asking questions about why or how is a small bit disrespectful to them.  simply put there a very good team.  be interested to see if they win ulster what they've taken out of last years AI semi and if they've learnt much     i believe it's Munster opposition this time round. 

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Sleeping giant on October 09, 2017, 05:06:48 PM
twice in the history of the ulster championship.  hardly major cause for concern.  it's just a really good solid Slaughneil team.  asking questions about why or how is a small bit disrespectful to them.  simply put there a very good team.  be interested to see if they win ulster what they've taken out of last years AI semi and if they've learnt much     i believe it's Munster opposition this time round.

That Dublin team was very very good .. Munster opposition haven't been setting the club scene on fire but at that stage they are all decent
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

The dublin team hammered everyone. Slaughtneil did not far off as well as the clare team in the final when you think about it.

Jesusjones

You won an Antrim championship. That's it. I see you've took no notice of getting your wings clipped by Slaughtneil, you should really be a bit more humble because your doing yourself and your club no favours. Yes I've no doubt Dunloy will win more titles in the next 10 years but I'd bet so will we and so will Loughgiel (far be it from me to big up Loughgiel but did you beat them this year at all?), Ballycastle also have the potential but would need to deal with their obvious issues. We won 2 in a row in 05 and 06 with McManus, Graffin, McGill and Shane McNaughton coming through as minors and everyone said we would dominate for 10 years. It didn't happen like that. Jim Nelson landed in Loughgiel and turned a team that had lost 6 in a row into All Ireland Champions. You are guaranteed nothing next season or any season. I'd say in 1986 Ballycastle would have thought they'd win more. And the following year Rossa were in an All Ireland Final, I bet they thought they'd win more than 1 championship in the following 30 years. You'd be best taking your medicine quietly.

old timers

Is the Dunloy team really as young as what is being said on here.  I know they have a few younger players who are 18 /19. Few of last years minor team. But as for the rest I thought they were long standing senior players but not sure ?

Sleeping giant

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 09, 2017, 05:28:39 PM
Quote from: Sleeping giant on October 09, 2017, 05:06:48 PM

That Dublin team was very very good .. Munster opposition haven't been setting the club scene on fire but at that stage they are all decent
i didn't say they weren't.  but for a team that hadn't played at that level before it was a learning curve. loughgiel first time around against O Loughlin Gaels was a learning curve.  the bigger stage the smaller things come to matter.  was simply saying it will be nice to see what they took from last years game.