GAA Response to Coronavirus

Started by screenexile, March 12, 2020, 12:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dublin7

Quote from: Hereiam on October 05, 2020, 10:05:43 AM
GAA needs to call a halt to the season. They made the right call at the beginning of this pandemic and they need to do the same again, I know in the north here there is a section of people that are just waiting to lay the blame at the GAA if this gets any worse.

The GAA aren't exactly helping themselves as pointed out by previous posters. John Horan was quick to call out NPHET when they introduced limitiations but the silence from Croke Park has been deafening the last few weeks as you see all the videos/tv pictures of clubs and/or county boards ignoring social distancing rules   

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Captain Obvious on October 05, 2020, 10:24:57 AM
How many counties still have club finals to play off, Donegal and?

Laois in football anyway I believe. Portlaoise lost the quarter final yesterday.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

APM

Quote from: the goal was on on October 05, 2020, 08:47:59 AM
Absolutely woeful from gaa and county boards since games resumed. Deserve to be shut down. Crowding, hugging, over attendances, opening gates . No efforts to curtail it. How hard is it to spray down a few marks?!. Every dog on the street knows that partying after games and for days is the biggest threat but not a word about it from clubs or boards. Teams heading to the capitals from binges days after finals and then coming back to their communities .

Fair enough, but there is a level of personal responsibility here.  People are being willfully irresponsible and the fact that an awful lot of people are now extremely cynical about Covid precautions is not something the GAA can do much about. This is particularly the case at club level, where you are not only asking a chairman to set down rules in regard to championship celebrations, but then to enforce them.   That might mean rebuking players, club mates and neighbours about social distancing.  But what then about private house parties etc?  What can they do about that?

The bottom line is that there is now a large proportion of the country that doesn't want to be told to wear a mask or social distance as they think it is all a load of shit.  They may have done everything right before, but following endless mixed messages and inconsistency, they have now had enough and there is no telling people - no matter how selfish it might seem.

We had almost 1,000 cases in one day last Friday in the north. I would expect that to be significantly exceeded early this week and continue to grow exponentially unless there is another lockdown of sorts.  If the disease is as dangerous as it was in the spring, sooner or later that will translate into significant increases in hospital admissions and that's where this becomes a major problem. 

Getting back to the GAA's responsibility, the only way is probably to shut it down, then the clubs will not be put in such an invidious position. The leadership is required at the top, not at the bottom. 

Hereiam

Horan needs to to make the call now and not wait to see what the government are going to do, I'm sure a lot of people around the country at this stage couldn't care less who wins the All-Ireland this year. Shut it down Mr Horan......shut it down now.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: dublin7 on October 05, 2020, 10:25:24 AM
GAA needs to call a halt to the season. They made the right call at the beginning of this pandemic and they need to do the same again, I know in the north here there is a section of people that are just waiting to lay the blame at the GAA if this gets any worse.

The GAA aren't exactly helping themselves as pointed out by previous posters. John Horan was quick to call out NPHET when they introduced limitiations but the silence from Croke Park has been deafening the last few weeks as you see all the videos/tv pictures of clubs and/or county boards ignoring social distancing rules
Main thing that isn't helping is the mixed messages and state of confusion.

GAA asked for clarity as to why the 200 ( number including players officials etc) at matches in ROI suddenly became zero. Only for weeks later with a higher covid case loads 200 supporters was allowed to attend.

downjim

I believe clubs are looking for guidance from croke park and would be happy with a halt to the season. The gaa intercounty season could continue with no  spectators but club games are giving us bad press at the minute and something we don't need. The GAA was brilliant during lockdown but all that good work is being done away with.  The GAA need to lead again on this.

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: Cunny Funt on October 05, 2020, 10:40:38 AM

GAA asked for clarity as to why the 200 ( number including players officials etc) at matches in ROI suddenly became zero. Only for weeks later with a higher covid case loads 200 supporters was allowed to attend.

This is giving people a cop out that they don't deserve, at no stage has anyone in authority said that social distancing has been done away with. The lack of personal responsibility from GAA supporters is indefensible and will certainly be a contributing factor to costing us the inter county season as now looks likely.

Rossfan

Agreed Fhairce but why didn't the GAA lay down the law to spectators from the start?.
200 people on 5,000 seat stands all let huddle together.
Not a lot they could do about supporters gathering afterwards but couldn't all Championship winning clubs be told in advance not to hold any mass celebrations?
No matter what levels we go to in the 26 or what "circuit breakers" in the 6 it's time the GAA abandoned inter County for 2020 and leave it at that.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Cunny Funt

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on October 05, 2020, 10:52:47 AM

This is giving people a cop out that they don't deserve, at no stage has anyone in authority said that social distancing has been done away with. The lack of personal responsibility from GAA supporters is indefensible and will certainly be a contributing factor to costing us the inter county season as now looks likely.

Blame game towards people is a waste of time, I could go on in detail about how the poorly controlled indoor factories played a big part in the spike in our covid cases in late July early August but I won't. This bloody annoying virus is the main thing to blame.

johnnycool

Quote from: Cunny Funt on October 05, 2020, 11:12:58 AM

Blame game towards people is a waste of time, I could go on in detail about how the poorly controlled indoor factories played a big part in the spike in our covid cases in late July early August but I won't. This bloody annoying virus is the main thing to blame.

I find it nuts that the GAA are pushing ahead with minor and U20/21 intercounty games let alone the senior championships.

armaghniac

Yes, but people need to stop doing what they were doing, be they factories or sport bodies. Those factories do not purport to be community organisations, they are there to make money, but the GAA should have a higher ambition.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Cunny Funt

Quote from: johnnycool on October 05, 2020, 11:14:11 AM

I find it nuts that the GAA are pushing ahead with minor and U20/21 intercounty games let alone the senior championships.

Don't think they were going too until the government gave them millions to push ahead with the championships. If the government agree on a nationwide level 5 this week I would expect a decision will be made on going ahead or not with the championships this winter.

downjim

Are the rumours true that gaa will be halted today after a meeting in the afternoon? Did anyone hear this?

johnnycool

Quote from: downjim on October 05, 2020, 11:22:13 AM
Are the rumours true that gaa will be halted today after a meeting in the afternoon? Did anyone hear this?

There is a meeting in Stormont this afternoon with a press release after it.

Looking like a circuit break of maybe two to three weeks including schools having "extended" mid term breaks.

sid waddell

There isn't much point blaming an invisible virus which has no consciousness

The virus can only be managed by people acting responsibly

People getting angry because other people are getting angry at their irresponsible behaviour is a parable for our times, false victimhood has become the default reaction of those who behave badly, sadly we have become Thatcher's anti-society of individuals

Blackrock have no excuse

The GAA is supposed to be about community and yet it has been demonstrated that there are plenty of people in the GAA who don't give a flying fig about community