GAA Response to Coronavirus

Started by screenexile, March 12, 2020, 12:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedHand88

Does anyone still think there will be a championship??

Blowitupref

Quote from: RedHand88 on September 24, 2020, 07:19:27 PM

In the past with millions lost with little or no supporters in attendance i would have said no. Right now we know the government have promised millions if they run the championship and more money will likely come for the latest news that every game will be broadcast live. So it's a maybe as all still depends on the rate of infection and the country not going into level 4 by November.

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

twohands!!!

Quote from: Blowitupref on September 24, 2020, 07:42:54 PM

In the past with millions lost with little or no supporters in attendance i would have said no. Right now we know the government have promised millions if they run the championship and more money will likely come for the latest news that every game will be broadcast live. So it's a maybe as all still depends on the rate of infection and the country not going into level 4 by November.

The GAA will be doing everything in their power to hold a championship even behind closed doors.
I saw a figure of €11 million for the television rights last year. No way in hell are the GAA going to turn down this money given the overall GAA financial situation.
There's probably a few million money in terms of sponsorship money from the 6 championship sponsors and a bit of cash from Allianz for completing the league.

The fact that there is a special exemption at Level 4 for inter-county and professional matches is a clear indication that the Republic's government is on board with the championship going ahead if at all possible.

The thing is there is a reasonable possibility that some team might have to drop out if there are cases amongst players or management, which given there are 63 county squads is definitely not beyond the bounds of possibility.

There is also the possibility that if things get bad in Northern Ireland, different restrictions could be put in place which might mean that all the NI counties might be forced to drop out.
I tried to find anything specific about championship games in NI but couldn't find anything as concrete as in the Republic's plan.
Also given Arlene's recent comments, I wouldn't be surprised if she blocked/didn't allow the same exemption Dublin did.
If this happens I think the GAA woukd still go ahead with the 26 counties (as long as none of the 26 are at level 5)
You wonder what would happen if Dublin was at Level 5 and the other 31 counties were at Level 2, 3 or 4.
What would happen if it was Level 5 in all the 26 and games were allowed in the North ?

Overall I think there is a pretty decent chance the championship goes ahead - the big thing for me is the exemption allowing inter-county games at Level 4.

Blowitupref

Quote from: twohands!!! on September 24, 2020, 08:31:43 PM

The GAA will be doing everything in their power to hold a championship even behind closed doors.
I saw a figure of €11 million for the television rights last year. No way in hell are the GAA going to turn down this money given the overall GAA financial situation.
There's probably a few million money in terms of sponsorship money from the 6 championship sponsors and a bit of cash from Allianz for completing the league.

The fact that there is a special exemption at Level 4 for inter-county and professional matches is a clear indication that the Republic's government is on board with the championship going ahead if at all possible.

The thing is there is a reasonable possibility that some team might have to drop out if there are cases amongst players or management, which given there are 63 county squads is definitely not beyond the bounds of possibility.

There is also the possibility that if things get bad in Northern Ireland, different restrictions could be put in place which might mean that all the NI counties might be forced to drop out.
I tried to find anything specific about championship games in NI but couldn't find anything as concrete as in the Republic's plan.
Also given Arlene's recent comments, I wouldn't be surprised if she blocked/didn't allow the same exemption Dublin did.
If this happens I think the GAA woukd still go ahead with the 26 counties (as long as none of the 26 are at level 5)
You wonder what would happen if Dublin was at Level 5 and the other 31 counties were at Level 2, 3 or 4.
What would happen if it was Level 5 in all the 26 and games were allowed in the North ?

Overall I think there is a pretty decent chance the championship goes ahead - the big thing for me is the exemption allowing inter-county games at Level 4.

I assumed such exemptions weren't allowed for level 4. If its only hundreds are allowed to attend the GAA shouldn't be saying no to that as its some gate receipt money instead of none.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Cunny Funt

The Super cup final between Bayern Munich and Sevilla on tonight in Budapest with around 20,000 in attendance in a 68,000 capacity stadium and to think we might only have 200-500 supporters at GAA Championship matches this winter in Croke Park?

twohands!!!

Quote from: Blowitupref on September 24, 2020, 08:49:33 PM
Quote from: twohands!!! on September 24, 2020, 08:31:43 PM

I assumed such exemptions weren't allowed for level 4. If its only hundreds are allowed to attend the GAA shouldn't be saying no to that as its some gate receipt money instead of none.

The exemption is that matches are allowed to take place, not that spectators are allowed.

Level 1 and 2 means matches with limited spectators.
Level 3 and 4 means matches but no spectators.
Level 5 means no games at all.

Rossfan

I expect for financial reasons (media and sponsors €€€€s) we will be having a competition called "Championship".
However if some Counties can't prepare fully and others may have to concede games it will only be in effect a tournament.
And if no spectators....
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

ballinaman

Oh it'll be great during the dark days of winter ...nah, it'll be a load of bollox

seafoid

Quote from: ballinaman on September 25, 2020, 12:39:49 PM
Oh it'll be great during the dark days of winter ...nah, it'll be a load of bollox
Hurling in the shite and the cold. It will be a strange championship.

Blowitupref

Connacht senior football championship fixtures and venues.

November 1st 1:15pm

Leitrim v Mayo -Páirc Sean

Semi finals

Galway v Sligo - Pearse Stadium November 7th 1:15pm

Roscommon v Leitrim or Mayo Hyde Park 1.30pm November 8th

Connacht final November 15th 1.30pm

Blowitupref

And the NFL back after a 7 month break.

NFL round 6
October 17th

Div 1
Monaghan v Kerry - Inniskeen, 2pm
Dublin v Meath, Parnell Park 7pm  - Eir Sports

Div 2
Westmeath v Laois - Cusack Park 2pm
Armagh v Roscommon - Athletic Grounds 5.30pm    RTE

Div 3
Cork v Louth - Pairc Ui Chaoimh 4pm
Derry v Longford - Celtic Park  4.30pm
Down v Leitrim - Pairc Esler 5pm

Div 4
Wicklow v Antrim Aughrim 2pm
Carlow v Sligo  Cullen Park 5pm

October 18th

Div 1
Galway v Mayo - Tuam Staduim 2pm TG4 live
Donegal v Tyrone - Ballybofey - 4pm TG4 live

Div 2
Clare v Fermanagh - Cusack park Ennis 1pm
Kildare v Cavan - Newbridge 2pm  TG4 deferred

Div 3
Tipperary v Offaly - Semple Staduim 1pm
Div 4
Limerick v Wexford - Neville Park 1pm

NFL Round 7
October 24th

Div 1
Kerry v Donegal  - Austin Stack Park 2pm

Div 2
Cavan v Roscommon - Breffni park 2pm
Clare v Armagh -Ennis 2pm
Kildare v Westmeath - Newbridge 2pm
Fermanagh v Laois - Brewster Park 2pm

Div 4
Antrim v Waterford - Portglenone 2pm
Wexford v Wicklow - Wexford Park 2pm
Sligo v Limerick - Markievicz Park 2pm

October 25th

Div 1
Galway v Dublin - Pearse Stadium 2pm
Mayo v Tyrone - MacHale Park 2pm
Monaghan v Meath - Clones 2pm

Div 3
Longford v Cork - Pearse Park 2pm
Louth v Down - Drogheda 2pm
Leitrim v Tipperary - Pairc Sean 2pm
Offaly v Derry - O'Connor Park 2pm

armaghniac

€15m from Dublin government for GAA, LGFA and Camogie to run their championships.
No doubt Michelle O'Neills government will ensure a proportionate sum from Stormont.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Main Street

What's left after Dublin GAA take their slice?

Rossfan

Longford Inter and Senior Semi Finals plus Laythrum Inter Final off this weekend due to th'oul Virus.
Inter County must be heading for 50/50 at best next month?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Lar Naparka

Quote from: armaghniac on September 25, 2020, 10:28:34 PM
€15m from Dublin government for GAA, LGFA and Camogie to run their championships.
No doubt Michelle O'Neills government will ensure a proportionate sum from Stormont.
Never thought about that.
I'm sure the question will be put to Michelle or, more probably, Arlene sometime soon. The response will be interesting.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi