GAA Response to Coronavirus

Started by screenexile, March 12, 2020, 12:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodney trotter

Yes but they will either have to test the County players or reconsider playing it. They are playing it in when the flu season starts. They are only learning more about the virus as the weeks go on. From not wearing marks to insisting on wearing masks in public places.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: thewobbler on August 27, 2020, 08:39:17 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on August 27, 2020, 08:31:03 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on August 27, 2020, 07:31:30 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on August 27, 2020, 07:23:52 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on August 27, 2020, 07:00:14 PM

This is the Cavan chairman's point. There is no rugby angle here. Unless you're talking about club rugby grounds.

I think the point as made earlier in the thread is that rugby and soccer fans are staying at home and watching streams, presumably because they know the club will lash them out of it if they physically present. So they don't. The GAA seem not to be able to get this message across.

You're not comparing like with like and you know it. Which is why you're ignoring the other point I made above. Closing a stadium is much easier than closing a playing field.

But none of us are hearing about soccer and rugby clubs just shrugging ther shoulders and letting people in.

And only one of us is comparing professional rugby to club GAA.

Wait until the junior and intermediate soccer leagues are underway, and All Ireland club rugby is underway. At that point you'll have a valid comparison on the capacity of volunteers in non-enclosed playing fields.

They are underway...

Blowitupref

Quote from: rodney trotter on August 27, 2020, 08:43:39 PM
Yes but they will either have to test the County players or reconsider playing it. They are playing it in when the flu season starts. They are only learning more about the virus as the weeks go on. From not wearing marks to insisting on wearing masks in public places.
I'd wonder what was learnt is the main reason for our current low number of cases requiring hospital treatment.

I can imagine it will be same testing policy in place as the club game if Inter County returns in October. I forsee bigger issues with schools than the flu season. Many county players are teachers and it remains to be seen how bad the flu will be this winter when many of the population are wearing mask and social distancing in public.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

rodney trotter

Teachers and doctors. The main reason Jack McCaffrey stepped away from Dublin, was that his work in the front line as a doctor wouldn't be compatible to plating County Football in October /November with this virus.

County panels could have a lot of different faces.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on August 27, 2020, 07:23:52 PM

I think the point as made earlier in the thread is that rugby and soccer fans are staying at home and watching streams, presumably because they know the club will lash them out of it if they physically present. So they don't. The GAA seem not to be able to get this message across.

Fans outside Tallaght Stadium watching Shamrock Rovers 12-11 penalty shoot-out win in the Europa League last night

Baile Brigín 2

....outside....

And they will still be fined.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on August 29, 2020, 06:01:27 PM
....outside....

Yes outside and not at home watching as you claim other sports supporters do. Fined by whom?

thewobbler

Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 29, 2020, 06:35:43 PM
....outside....

Yes outside and not at home watching as you claim other sports supporters do. Fined by whom?

I assume he means that the FAI will attempt to fine a club that has had its income decimated, for not fencing off land its doesn't own.

Can't see it myself.

Baile Brigín 2

....outside....

I understand thst there were issues with the stream and a group who were watching in a nearby pub stood on a wall to watch the shootout.

Its not quite the same thing as allowing too many in and not soxially dustancing, is it?

thewobbler

People watching matches in pubs.

People taking safety risks to watch matches from the perimeter.

Would it maybe not be safer to allow 10% capacity within the ground ?

I believe this was the nun of the Cavan chairman's point.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on August 29, 2020, 08:55:41 PM
....outside....

I understand thst there were issues with the stream and a group who were watching in a nearby pub stood on a wall to watch the shootout.

Its not quite the same thing as allowing too many in and not soxially dustancing, is it?
You are a great man for the excuses.

Blowitupref

I'm guessing that 2,500 didn't car pool to that match like 200 to GAA matches did?

[
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

SpeculativeEffort

11 deaths in the south in August and we dont even know if those people died 'with' or 'from' covid 19. Is it all a bit OTT?

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 29, 2020, 09:15:25 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on August 29, 2020, 08:55:41 PM
....outside....

You are a great man for the excuses.

I don't really care if 10 lads stood on a wall in Tallaght. It doesn't somehow mean the GAA did everything right

Cunny Funt

Quote from: SpeculativeEffort on August 29, 2020, 10:35:50 PM
11 deaths in the south in August and we dont even know if those people died 'with' or 'from' covid 19. Is it all a bit OTT?

14 by my count but as you said If with or from covid and a good number of those deaths didn't happen in August. Micheál Martin is ultra cautious and new health minister Stephen Donnelly is a fear monger totally out of his depth. He's making Simon Harris look highly  competent in comparison.