GAA Response to Coronavirus

Started by screenexile, March 12, 2020, 12:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Quote from: 6th sam on August 20, 2020, 11:47:21 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on August 20, 2020, 09:46:34 AM
I don't want anything I'm just an individual posting my view on an Internet forum.
The Government in the 26 has sorted out spectator social distancing by banning them.

I think the unfortunate aspect of the government decision is the speed of it. There are several supporters who benefitted enormously from return to sport . There had been clear evidence of distancing not being adhered to however. IMHO Government would have greater chance of sustainable compliance , if they engaged with sporting organisations and put a shot across their bows..."if u don't actively sort out distancing, we'll have to close you down" , and use them to promote compliance across all aspects of life ie engage them as community leaders. Using the "stick" of we'll be insisting on "behind closed doors" if we don't see evidence of this , is fair enough. There is no doubt the GAA would embrace this  challenge-the precedent is already there. That community engagement is essential for sustained compliance of the population. If government pulls the plug on environments that are amenable to regulation eg sporting events, gyms etc, then  people will resort to non-regulated social environments .

I would agree with this and would extend it to every area really. They should be engaging with and spot checking churches, GAA matches, factories you name it. If for example a factory isn't adhering it should be given something like a warning and if they are caught again shut down until they prove they have measures in place that they can. Same should go for pubs too.

Things should be assessed on a case by case basis and if you're not adhering then suffer the consequences. Then it is down to you to ensure you are getting your income etc.

This generalisation of this is happening everywhere and it's terrible is horseshit. People see one photo on social media and go mad sometimes a la Kilcoo Mayobridge.

Maiden1

Quote from: thewobbler on August 20, 2020, 09:17:16 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on August 20, 2020, 09:11:00 AM
Don't know about weddings but there is serious social distancing applied at Masses in my Diocese and presumably the rest do the same.
The GAA have done great work until they let the 100 or 400 spectators inside the grounds. Then it stops and they're let sit together all over the place.

Rossfan

1. You're careful to announce that mass in your diocese only is well marshalled.

2. But in almost the same breath you condemn 5000 clubs the length in breadth of Ireland, as being one in the same.

Surely you understand that you cannot qualify your statement on the latter through your observations on the former?
I'll bet when the priest says the mass is ended .. that most people leave around the same time and will be chatting as they head for the exit. 

130 by 80 meter is the minimum pitch size for a gaa match.  Which would be 420 meter perimeter.  Even if none of the people watching were from the same family that leaves plenty of room for social distancing if 100-150 people are watching the match.  I have to take my son to U11 matches which more or less have the children's parents watching the game (20 supporters max), am I expected to drive an hour to Newry for a match and then sit in the car as near as I can get outside the ground for an hour until it is over, if so I am more worried that if no one is keeping an eye on him he will be tripping over himself the whole game as he can't tie his shoe laces very well or step out in front of a car without looking coming to get me after the game than of any of us catching covid.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

RedHand88

Quote from: Taylor on August 20, 2020, 08:32:48 AM
Quote from: RedHand88 on August 20, 2020, 08:04:41 AM
Serious amount of GAA people think their sport should be exempt for whatever reason I do not know.

I think it is more the confusion & lack of explanation is the issue.

Am sure all sports are pissed off but GAA are more vocal.

I mean how can you close outdoor sports but indoor weddings/mass etc etc are all allowed where the chance of infection is much higher?

Outdoor sports are not cancelled. Crowds watching outdoor sports is off.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: thewobbler on August 20, 2020, 09:37:29 AM

Or do you really think a volunteer marshal should spend 60 minutes walking up and down each bank, telling people to stay apart ("but we all travelled here together and are in the same bubble"), and judiciously guessing who is telling the truth?
Absolutely. The real question is why do you think they shouldn't.

Its somewhat bizarre that you think the GAA shouldn't enforce their own social distancing rules that were implemented in order to be allowed play games.

Rossfan

Itchy
Do you not know that up to 500 can be at sports fixtures in the 6 Counties or that Ulster GAA  said that means 400 spectators?

By the way Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh is 90 today.
Happy Birthday oul stock.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Cunny Funt

I don't want anything I'm just an individual posting my view on an Internet forum.
The Government in the 26 has sorted out spectator social distancing by banning them.

The reason given for banning spectators is too many was car pooling to games and meeting up after matches. Many other activities have those issues also but people aren't and won't be banned from doing it

armaghniac

Quote from: Cunny Funt on August 20, 2020, 03:26:08 PM

The reason given for banning spectators is too many was car pooling to games and meeting up after matches. Many other activities have those issues also be people aren't and won't be banned from doing it

If car pooling is an issue or going to the pub afterwards is an issue then ban those things, not the going to the field which can be done perfectly safely.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

dublin7

The reason given for banning spectators is too many was car pooling to games and meeting up after matches. Many other activities have those issues also be people aren't and won't be banned from doing it

It's one of the reasons NOT the only reason. There have been several instances of people picking up Covid-19 at sporting events so they have stopped people attending them

Cunny Funt

Quote from: dublin7 on August 20, 2020, 03:59:59 PM

It's one of the reasons NOT the only reason. There have been several instances of people picking up Covid-19 at sporting events so they have stopped people attending them

It's the main reason as per Dr Ronan Glynn. Was no mention of social distancing at games in his latest video response to the confusion over these recent restrictions.

One of the biggest concerns for our medical experts is the rise in community transmission (not knowing where the virus was picked up)

Taylor

Quote from: RedHand88 on August 20, 2020, 02:41:02 PM
Quote from: Taylor on August 20, 2020, 08:32:48 AM
Quote from: RedHand88 on August 20, 2020, 08:04:41 AM
Serious amount of GAA people think their sport should be exempt for whatever reason I do not know.

I think it is more the confusion & lack of explanation is the issue.

Am sure all sports are pissed off but GAA are more vocal.

I mean how can you close outdoor sports but indoor weddings/mass etc etc are all allowed where the chance of infection is much higher?

Outdoor sports are not cancelled. Crowds watching outdoor sports is off.

I mean how can you close spectators watching outdoor sports but indoor weddings/mass etc etc are all allowed where the chance of infection is much higher?

yellowcard

Outdoor gatherings to be restricted to 15 people from next Monday in the north. Not yet clear if this applies to sporting events or whether matches can still go ahead?

PadraicHenryPearse

i think the numbers attending GAA matches should be restricted. There is a differnence between business and peoples livelihoods and  sports and this is factored into what is and isnt an acceptable risk. The line is drawn somewhere and thats that however where the line is, is of course debateable.

i have not seen very many good arguments IMO for increases in spectators numbers at matches, however if the GAA stressed the economic benefit to local businesses of matches taking place i struggle to find an arguement of not allowing spectators at matches.

armaghniac

Quote from: PadraicHenryPearse on August 20, 2020, 05:03:35 PM
i think the numbers attending GAA matches should be restricted. There is a differnence between business and peoples livelihoods and  sports and this is factored into what is and isnt an acceptable risk. The line is drawn somewhere and thats that however where the line is, is of course debateable.

i have not seen very many good arguments IMO for increases in spectators numbers at matches, however if the GAA stressed the economic benefit to local businesses of matches taking place i struggle to find an arguement of not allowing spectators at matches.

The good argument is that you are much less likely to get Covid outside than inside. Anyone that ignores this is ignoring science. Allowing 50 people indoors and only 15 outdoors is bollix.
And as for the economic argument, sport is a benefit to people, but there are some costs to running it and you are denying the means to cover those costs.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Cunny Funt

If the focus was on numbers at games stricter compliance would be brought in on social distancing and mandatory face coverings.

Blowitupref

Quote from: armaghniac on August 20, 2020, 05:17:50 PM

The good argument is that you are much less likely to get Covid outside than inside. Anyone that ignores this is ignoring science. Allowing 50 people indoors and only 15 outdoors is bollix.
And as for the economic argument, sport is a benefit to people, but there are some costs to running it and you are denying the means to cover those costs.

Well said.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose