GAA Response to Coronavirus

Started by screenexile, March 12, 2020, 12:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

Quote from: BennyCake on August 18, 2020, 09:57:05 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on August 18, 2020, 09:39:36 PM
There have been no cases tracked from outdoor sports events. None.

Ok, so the Armagh SFC semis are next week. Do you suggest they allow up to 18,000 spectators in, and just forget about social distancing?

Do you honestly not believe there is a happy medium can be reached in an 18k stadium for a club match? You looking a return to full lockdown or what's your issue here?

armaghniac

Quote from: Cavan19 on August 18, 2020, 09:35:57 PM
Can't go to a game but can go to the local and watch the live stream. Yes i know which would be safer.

TV in pubs needs to be stopped.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Clinker

Ok, so the Armagh SFC semis are next week. Do you suggest they allow up to 18,000 spectators in, and just forget about social distancing?

Tommy Gunn - see if you even waste time replying to that......

Starting to reckon that some people are beginning to crack up - understandably - with the lack of social interaction which has been enforced on them.

Hyperbole everywhere - sense of proportion gone.
A side effect of Covid19.

thewobbler

Quote from: armaghniac on August 18, 2020, 10:05:48 PM
Quote from: Cavan19 on August 18, 2020, 09:35:57 PM
Can't go to a game but can go to the local and watch the live stream. Yes i know which would be safer.

TV in pubs needs to be stopped.

It would be much, much easier to allow 1000 people into a large stadium.

imtommygunn

Is there a middle ground allowed or are you not allowed to choose anything bar all or nothing?

Yes clinker you are right. If the decision was properly consistent and thought out out etc then the games would be cancelled full stop. Gyms, bars, restaurants, meat plants and the list goes on and on and on.

There is no consistency in this decision. What is it- punishment? Are sports the only area where people have and have been punished?What else is?

Oh but there are photos of not adhering. You could apply that anywhere. Anywhere.

BennyCake

Quote from: thewobbler on August 18, 2020, 10:00:42 PM

Do you honestly not believe there is a happy medium can be reached in an 18k stadium for a club match? You looking a return to full lockdown or what's your issue here?

Of course there can be a happy medium. And if everyone abided by the guidelines, I'm sure you could get 2 or 3 thousand in.

Same with bars, restaurants, shops etc. Life can continue, most things remain open etc, but people are not adhering to the guidelines, so this is where we are.

smelmoth

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 18, 2020, 10:13:41 PM

Is there a middle ground allowed or are you not allowed to choose anything bar all or nothing?

I don't think there is anybody unwilling to listen to the logic behind some middle ground option. I assume the GAA will want to put forward some option themselves but don't imagine it will be easy. People think of the spectator area being big enough for moderate crowds but you also have to address whether fans actually avail of the space, how they get in and out of the ground, how they get to the stadium etc. Then we have consider toilets and indeed whether patrons wash their hands

smelmoth

Where are you getting that from?

thewobbler

Quote from: smelmoth on August 18, 2020, 10:35:22 PM

I don't think there is anybody unwilling to listen to the logic behind some middle ground option. I assume the GAA will want to put forward some option themselves but don't imagine it will be easy. People think of the spectator area being big enough for moderate crowds but you also have to address whether fans actually avail of the space, how they get in and out of the ground, how they get to the stadium etc. Then we have consider toilets and indeed whether patrons wash their hands

Yet shops, restaurants, bars, hotels, churches and now schools can open. All of them with deliberately small entrances/exits, and limited toilet space, and with people often arriving via public transport, rather than in a car with a couple of people from their bubble.

——

When you go looking for fault in anything, some can be found. But when you're concerned about open air venues hosting crowds at a tiny percentage of their capacity, it looks like your nitpicking.

—-/

Benny you come from a GAA background. Is it really inconceivable that when you see 20 people clustered together, that they're all extended family or neighbours and oftentimes both?

BennyCake

@wobbler: Extended family or neighbours? Sure that's hardly a good argument. Just because families live in different houses they can still infect each other.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: thewobbler on August 18, 2020, 10:42:57 PM

Yet shops, restaurants, bars, hotels, churches and now schools can open. All of them with deliberately small entrances/exits, and limited toilet space, and with people often arriving via public transport, rather than in a car with a couple of people from their bubble.

——

When you go looking for fault in anything, some can be found. But when you're concerned about open air venues hosting crowds at a tiny percentage of their capacity, it looks like your nitpicking.

—-/

Benny you come from a GAA background. Is it really inconceivable that when you see 20 people clustered together, that they're all extended family or neighbours and oftentimes both?

Not relevant. The GAA haven't been enforcing the rules as evident from tv and photos.

This is a mental decision that literally bans team sport, but its harder to argue when the rules were flouted.

thewobbler

Quote from: BennyCake on August 18, 2020, 10:48:08 PM
@wobbler: Extended family or neighbours? Sure that's hardly a good argument. Just because families live in different houses they can still infect each other.

People from 4 different households have been legally allowed to meet indoors in NI for the past 3 weeks.

If you're having a hullabaloo about same people now sitting together in an outdoors environment, then I'm sorry to tell you, your horse has bolted.

thewobbler

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on August 18, 2020, 10:54:26 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on August 18, 2020, 10:42:57 PM

——

—-/

Not relevant. The GAA haven't been enforcing the rules as evident from tv and photos.

This is a mental decision that literally bans team sport, but its harder to argue when the rules were flouted.

See my immediate following response to Benny.

The rules have not been flouted in Down. Championship crowds have been restricted to 300 spectators. Strictly. That people then choose prefer to sit beside each other than in the wide open expanse, is not on the GAA. Those people can claim to be in the same bubble. That you have no more evidence that they're not from the same bubble, than i have that they are, is also important.

You're hanging people because you like hanging. Not because hanging is needed.

BennyCake

Quote from: thewobbler on August 18, 2020, 10:54:54 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on August 18, 2020, 10:48:08 PM

People from 4 different households have been legally allowed to meet indoors in NI for the past 3 weeks.

If you're having a hullabaloo about same people now sitting together in an outdoors environment, then I'm sorry to tell you, your horse has bolted.

Tbh I don't give a shiny shite how many households can legally meet indoors.

I'm not having a hullabaloo. I'm basically saying if you meet with other family/friends/neighbours etc at things like sports events, pubs, restaurants, you risk getting or passing on the virus. That won't change, even if the law does.

rodney trotter

The GAA before reopening advised people to wear face masks, and barely anyone does to matches. They aren't comfortable to wear, but either should have been mandatory, or shouldn't have been having crowds. . John Horan wanted to increase crowds to 500 after previously writing off GAA for the year. Most other Sports have been playing behind closed doors