GAA Response to Coronavirus

Started by screenexile, March 12, 2020, 12:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clinker

Hello.
Does anyone know the exact rules about GAA social clubs opening or closing? Has the GAA told them to close?
Is there a written diktat somewhere? Can someone out it up here or a link?
What does serving food mean? Are bowls of stew or Dinny Cahill's hamburgers considered as serving food?
Can anyone provide clarity?

supersub

If you're serving bowls of stew just to get a social club open there's something seriously wrong.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on August 07, 2020, 11:03:08 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 07, 2020, 10:59:35 PM
Quote from: hardstation on August 07, 2020, 09:43:10 PM
I've asked about among people involved in a few clubs that are open. Nobody has heard a thing about it.

O'ds closed and only the outside part open
Their social club is closed?

Indoors
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

I'm guessing the clubs have made a decision by themselves based guidance rather than a directive from Ulster council
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

supersub

Quote from: hardstation on August 07, 2020, 11:39:17 PM
Quote from: supersub on August 07, 2020, 11:32:44 PM
If you're serving bowls of stew just to get a social club open there's something seriously wrong.
It's not beyond the realms of possibility that some clubs depend on their social club income. Especially in days where they aren't getting their normal gate money and as far as I'm aware there hasn't been a reduction or return of affiliation fees from the GAA?

Like everything else, clubs will do what they can to keep going.

Possible but not probable. Don't buy it. Clubs aren't going to 'go under'. Most county boards will have given a reprise in fees, reduced or delayed or both.

delgany

Ulster GAA/Antrim GAA Directive to all club committees

Social Clubs
Advice from Ulster Council is that 99% of our social clubs should not be open as they operate as effective wet houses and not restaurant style operations, I have heard numerous stories of how clubs think they can circumvent guidelines and legislation , so things to consider if wishing to open a bar.

Does your club have adequate facilities with hygiene clearance to adhere to legislation if providing food?

If providing an outdoor beer garden , do you have table service in place, has outdoor beer garden been passed for insurance and meeting council legislation?

Is your social club operating a members only policy and are you logging time and date members enter and exit social club?

Financial viability of opening a social club in this climate, ,(without functions that are not allowed) is very limited , margins are low in social clubs added to this additional staff costs due to waitering service and extra hygiene costs , ask yourself would your social club actually make money in this current climate or is opening your social club actually costing your club money to stay open, I have heard stories of the bar gives us cash flow, Turnover is a lot difference than profit, running a social club to get turnover while it is loosing money is economic madness and no committee should allow this to happen.

Club Shops

Shops can open if you can implement safe guards,
If opening club shop to sell club gear, this can be organised for collection in a timely manner.

If wanting to open shop to sell tea/coffee etc at matches, the reality is you are attracting up to 400 people to one point at a pressure period of time, rush hour is half time, realistically social distancing at our club tea shops is unrealistic as most of them work out of a small container with a hatch or door, I seen one club trying their best , where a person buys cup of tea and then goes to a separate table to put in milk and sugar, but remember all people who bought a cup of tea went to that table and lifted the milk etc , so unless you are 100% sure that you can implement hygiene controls , I would ask you to keep shop shut during matches as precautionary measure .

Changing Rooms/Hall

All indoor facilities are closed except toilets if you have no other toilet options , so no changing in halls , no letting your hall out to five a side , no using hall as it was raining on a training day.

If a club uses indoor facilitates and they have a Covid issue , if a player etc tests positive and has been found to have been indoors in one of our clubs , .i.e. at video analyses or team meeting, this will be judged as close contact by public health authorities and club is a risk of being shut down and being removed from participation in all games and training, per Croke Park advice , Covid is 19 times more likely to spread if indoor usage of clubs, that is why they have closed indoor facilities.

Conclusion

Ask yourself do you or another club executive member want to explain to the press and local community or maybe even a judge , why due to flouting guidance your club is the centre of a Covid outbreak in your community, even worse do you want to have to attend a wake to apologise on behalf of club for being the source of a Covid outbreak that caused someone to die ?

During the eye of the storm when the country was in the Bhearna Bhaoil , CLG stood up and was counted, we seen all that is good about our association, so while we lobbied hard to get our youth back playing games with limited supporters, we agreed to act in a responsible manner, we are not a business , we are not a social club confederation , we are the GAA, who are held in high esteem within our communities , so please remember who you are and what you represent and help keep your community safe, keep up the good work and enjoy your games.

County chair

Clinker

Quote from: delgany on August 08, 2020, 09:15:33 AM
Ulster GAA/Antrim GAA Directive to all club committees

Social Clubs
Advice from Ulster Council is that 99% of our social clubs should not be open as they operate as effective wet houses and not restaurant style operations, I have heard numerous stories of how clubs think they can circumvent guidelines and legislation , so things to consider if wishing to open a bar.

Does your club have adequate facilities with hygiene clearance to adhere to legislation if providing food?

If providing an outdoor beer garden , do you have table service in place, has outdoor beer garden been passed for insurance and meeting council legislation?

Is your social club operating a members only policy and are you logging time and date members enter and exit social club?

Financial viability of opening a social club in this climate, ,(without functions that are not allowed) is very limited , margins are low in social clubs added to this additional staff costs due to waitering service and extra hygiene costs , ask yourself would your social club actually make money in this current climate or is opening your social club actually costing your club money to stay open, I have heard stories of the bar gives us cash flow, Turnover is a lot difference than profit, running a social club to get turnover while it is loosing money is economic madness and no committee should allow this to happen.

County chair

Well done delgany. Some clarity.

Quote from: delgany on August 08, 2020, 09:15:33 AM
Ulster GAA/Antrim GAA Directive

we seen all that is good about our association,

County chair

Liked this bit. A hidden code so everyone knows it is genuine and local.

Milltown Row2

Impossible to argue with any of those points raised.. while it's not 'law' as such the points are very valid

thewobbler

Thanks MR2. Glad to see we comply with all the guidance, by accident or design.

Farrandeelin

Any sign of the GAA coming out and giving a definitive response as to whether the inter-county scene will be going ahead? We're in the second half of August now and if they're waiting for the outdoor activities to have crowds of over a certain limit?

I can't see the crowds for outdoor activities being raised over 1,000 any time soon. We'll be lucky if 500 is the maximum limit at all with the way things are going. I hope I'm wrong on this though obviously.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

thewobbler

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 17, 2020, 09:44:51 AM
Any sign of the GAA coming out and giving a definitive response as to whether the inter-county scene will be going ahead? We're in the second half of August now and if they're waiting for the outdoor activities to have crowds of over a certain limit?

I can't see the crowds for outdoor activities being raised over 1,000 any time soon. We'll be lucky if 500 is the maximum limit at all with the way things are going. I hope I'm wrong on this though obviously.

I'm confused.

If it's in the calendar, why wouldn't the county season be going ahead?

What use is another statement now, when government policy could change 3 times best wren now and the first throw in?

Gaa top brass are sports administrators, not soothsayers.

armaghniac

Quote from: thewobbler on August 17, 2020, 10:37:35 AM

Who is going to pay for it? When the request comes around to Ballyholland for funds will you be going around collecting?
In a usual season a mainstream Ulster championship game would bring in in €200,000+, to say nothing of the revenues from later rounds.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

thewobbler

Quote from: armaghniac on August 17, 2020, 10:42:08 AM

Who is going to pay for it? When the request comes around to Ballyholland for funds will you be going around collecting?
In a usual season a mainstream Ulster championship game would bring in in €200,000+, to say nothing of the revenues from later rounds.

Apart from meals after matches, I'm not sure why it would cost much more to run a county team than a club team this season. Most counties will have a training and match day season of 8 weeks or fewer. Those that get past that stage will surely get a tv money allowance.

6th sam

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 17, 2020, 09:44:51 AM

I'm confused.

What use is another statement now, when government policy could change 3 times best wren now and the first throw in?

Gaa top brass are sports administrators, not soothsayers.

Though there are genuine concerns regarding an Intercounty season going ahead, either due to risk of infection , or financial viability, any decision should not be rushed. Though it seems very unlikely that there will be any reassurance regarding the infectivity and effects of the virus before 2021, the GAA has time between now and start of intercounty training to make a measured decision . Those that would rush to shut up shop, should remember that cancelling, closure and lockdown also has an effect on health and welfare.

Rossfan

With the small attendances (100 paying "customers" in the 26) Co Boards will be lucky to get 10% of normal Club Championships income this year.
There will be little or no €€€€ for preparing County Senior and Minor teams.
Then if the County games go ahead with no more than 500 (about 350 "customers") they will cost the Provincial and Central Councils a fortune and again no income.
Then more importantly there will likely be some squads having to stand down or isolate due to positive tests/contacts.
Will everyone wait for them ir will they have to concede walkovers?
Will all or many Club Championships get completed before 17th October?
I will be surprised if there are inter County games this Autumn/Winter.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM