GAA Response to Coronavirus

Started by screenexile, March 12, 2020, 12:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marty34

What's the chances club championships won't get finished in the current time frame?

Push the county scene back or will it all turn into a farce?

Farrandeelin

Quote from: marty34 on July 17, 2020, 08:34:05 AM
What's the chances club championships won't get finished in the current time frame?

Whatever about the club scene not finishing on time, the county could be left for 2020.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

MayoBuck

John Horan on the radio there asking for GAA attendances to be increased to 500.

Taylor

Quote from: MayoBuck on July 17, 2020, 08:53:56 AM
John Horan on the radio there asking for GAA attendances to be increased to 500.

Good lad John.

Any chance the games in the North having 1 at a game?

ardtole

Why doesn't John Horan just deal with what the experts recommend. Comes across as arrogant to me.

armaghniac

Quote from: ardtole on July 17, 2020, 09:58:43 AM
Why doesn't John Horan just deal with what the experts recommend. Comes across as arrogant to me.

The attendance figures are a bit like the number of lifeboats on the Titanic, someone thought of a number regardless of the size of the venue,
The GAA has some large facilities and even a normal pitch could cater for 400 people one metre apart standing on the fence. So I think he has a case.

As for the North, in Cross' a certain number can go to the church, now the church in Cross' is quite large but not as big as Oliver Plunkett Park  and it makes no sense to have a certain number indoors while not allowing that number in a bigger outdoor venue. 
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

thewobbler

Quote from: armaghniac on July 17, 2020, 10:36:07 AM

The attendance figures are a bit like the number of lifeboats on the Titanic, someone thought of a number regardless of the size of the venue,
The GAA has some large facilities and even a normal pitch could cater for 400 people one metre apart standing on the fence. So I think he has a case.

As for the North, in Cross' a certain number can go to the church, now the church in Cross' is quite large but not as big as Oliver Plunkett Park  and it makes no sense to have a certain number indoors while not allowing that number in a bigger outdoor venue. 

I'd agree. In an effort for a Fitz Hall approach they've forgotten everyone is a different size.

Similarly to when govt allowed outdoor training, and golf, to return early, there must surely be a mental health and social benefit in allowing communities to meet each other in outdoor spaces with excess capacity.

Taylor

Quote from: thewobbler on July 17, 2020, 10:50:38 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on July 17, 2020, 10:36:07 AM

I'd agree. In an effort for a Fitz Hall approach they've forgotten everyone is a different size.

Similarly to when govt allowed outdoor training, and golf, to return early, there must surely be a mental health and social benefit in allowing communities to meet each other in outdoor spaces with excess capacity.

Lads we are all in agreement here and we can saw it till we are blue in the face - doesnt make a difference though in that we cant watch the games

Flanker

Quote from: oakleaflad on July 17, 2020, 11:00:28 AM
Craigbane, Banagher, Limavady, Drumsurn, Drum and Glack have all suspended activity. I believe it's just precautionary but you start to wonder could it impact Championship and is it all really worth it this season?

armaghniac

Most counties will only have a game or two. Club championships could be finished afterwards, if required.

Quote from: Flanker on July 17, 2020, 11:14:20 AM
Craigbane, Banagher, Limavady, Drumsurn, Drum and Glack have all suspended activity. I believe it's just precautionary but you start to wonder could it impact Championship and is it all really worth it this season?

You'd need a certain flexibility with fixtures compared to previous years.

Eire90

i am hearing a player from carlow played 3 games from saturday to a monday tested positive on monday

Eire90

I cant believe the arrogance of the donegal Gaa asking for more fans

johnnycool

Ulster Council;

In the 'Six Counties' no spectators are permitted to attend games. While the maximum number currently permitted at an outdoor gathering is 30, an exemption has been applied to allow that number to be exceeded if you are "taking part in, or assisting with, a sporting event." As supporters have no direct role in the actual staging of the event, it unfortunately means that they cannot be present. It is hoped that there will be some relaxation of this guideline in the near future but, for now, we appeal to supporters to act in the overall public interest and stay away from games. By doing this we hasten the day when we can go back to attending our great games. 

Clarification has been received in relation to parents 'attending' underage games (U-18 and below). In this respect where a parent is transporting a child to play in a game they are deemed to be 'assisting with' the fixture and are therefore permitted to attend.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 17, 2020, 08:49:44 AM

Whatever about the club scene not finishing on time, the county could be left for 2020.

In regards to Inter County all I see going ahead now is the completion of the NFL, I don't see HQ going ahead with the championship when crowds aren't allowed. Arguing over a mere 500 at games when the virus is contained kinda shows the chances of 1000s at games in October will be very slim.

armaghniac

Quote from: Captain Obvious on July 17, 2020, 04:41:12 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 17, 2020, 08:49:44 AM

In regards to Inter County all I see going ahead now is the completion of the NFL, I don't see HQ going ahead with the championship when crowds aren't allowed. Arguing over a mere 500 at games when the virus is contained kinda shows the chances of 1000s at games in October will be very slim.

it would be very hard to get thousands in and out of a stadium without congestion developing somewhere, people would act the maggot. But even if you could do this there would be crowds gathering at nearby pubs, going on buses etc. Their conduct there might not be the GAA's responsibility but the public authorities would not be keen on it. Especially if you had an big games in November/December people would not be in beer gardens and at outside tables but would be inside poorly ventilated pubs.
The virus is contained, but it has not been driven out and people are unwilling to drive it out, so there will be a price to pay in terms of no big games, no Christmas parties etc.