oldest club footballer in Ireland

Started by T O Hare, July 03, 2013, 12:37:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T O Hare

Mickey Linden came on for our thirds on Sunday (50 years of age) at half time in the Down reserve championship. We were getting beaten by three points at the time but the legend lifted the team and scored four outrageous points and set up a goal to lead us to a six point victory. He has to be one of the oldest club player in the country? The word Legend is used loosely these days but there is no doubt Mickey is "the Legend"
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Syferus

I'd mention Cake but he's ageless, timeless, priceless ;)

spuds

Linden was and by sounds of it still is a class act. Supposed to be a real sound bloke on top of that.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

T O Hare

Quote from: spuds on July 03, 2013, 12:48:50 AM
Linden was and by sounds of it still is a class act. Supposed to be a real sound bloke on top of that.
A gentleman and a great role model for all kids!
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Gold

"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

spuds

Quote from: T O Hare on July 03, 2013, 12:52:11 AM
Quote from: spuds on July 03, 2013, 12:48:50 AM
A gentleman and a great role model for all kids!
Love to hear that, is too easy for lads of such outstanding ability to be stuck up their own asses.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

Lar Naparka

The oldest club player I've heard of was 73 years old when he played his last club match.
He was the father of all the Bonnars who played hurling for Tipp back in the late 80s/ early 90s.
One day the local (junior) football club were going to have to forfeit a championship game when they couldn't field 15 players. They could only muster 14 and it seemed that the opposition were going to be awarded the game until the oul fella stepped in to tog out, if you follow me.
What's more, his team won the game and he wasn't the worst on the field, according to Cormac, one of his sons.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

johnneycool

Quote from: Lar Naparka on July 03, 2013, 01:53:01 AM
The oldest club player I've heard of was 73 years old when he played his last club match.
He was the father of all the Bonnars who played hurling for Tipp back in the late 80s/ early 90s.
One day the local (junior) football club were going to have to forfeit a championship game when they couldn't field 15 players. They could only muster 14 and it seemed that the opposition were going to be awarded the game until the oul fella stepped in to tog out, if you follow me.
What's more, his team won the game and he wasn't the worst on the field, according to Cormac, one of his sons.

Was Joe McDonagh, Galway hurler (singer) and former GAA president not playing junior hurling right into his 50's as well?

Maybe one of his bloodline who posts on here could confirm...

nrico2006

Would Linden be able to make the Mayobridge first team still?  I wouldn't be surprised considering he is apparently still lightening according to his times in the All Ireland masters 100 and 200 metres chanmpionships which he wins.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

heffo

Danny O'Connor, ex Vice Chairman of Dublin played a hurling match in his late 50's

Flex

Donegal's Martin Shovlin.  He's 52 (I think) and still playing..

southdown

thejuice

Fair play to Linden. Great player in his hey-day and shows there is still hope for some of us who have another while before we're 50.

We used to have over 40's games between Ardcath and Curragha. Used to be great oul craic and could be fairly serious affairs. Although the way things are going with emigration those clubs are likely to be mainly over 40's with a sprinkling of minors in a few years.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Aristo 60

qubdub

Legendary stuff from Mickey Linden. Absolutely brilliant, I love hearing heartwarming stuff like that!