The Future for Laois Football

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, July 05, 2021, 12:26:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laois Rising

Quote from: Spiritof86 on October 06, 2021, 05:33:44 PM
Quote from: clonadmad on October 06, 2021, 05:26:44 PM
The successful counties promote from within and would never even consider bringing in an outsider

Secondly their managers don't get parachuted into the big job

They have a body of coaching work often done from u14 upwards and it's a progression,be successful at 14,get moved up to 15 and so on.

There's a mentors pathway in place in these counties with ex players heavily involved.

I know of a man who was asked to take a u14 divisional team here,in the past month

He went away and came back with a proposal

They were going to train as a club team twice a week,central to the clubs location so they wouldn't be trucking in and out from the CoE

Had a 6 man back room team assembled to include 3 coaches,an athletic development person a physio and a stats video person

He was in the process of getting gear for them as he has access to funds and was looking to feed them afterwards so that they could get home to study etc after training.

Everything he suggested was shot down

One by one

He didn't have a son on this particular team,he was doing it to improve standards as that's his approach in his professional life.

Jaysus it's demoralising to hear stories like that 😔

And only you heard of this on the grapevine and shared it, most of us here would not have been aware of this. Again, the county board not challenged on this and to present their justifications for shooting this approach now. Sounded very logical what was being proposed. Look at improvements in Offaly last 3/4 years at underage level in both hurling and football. Doing the right things at the level is the only thing that's going to revive Laois GAA. If younger players are treated properly, respected and provided with a professional set up they are going to buy into it, commit and hopefully develop as footballers. You reap what you sow. 

On a side note I hope the Tailteann Cup does go ahead next year. I think playing in a competition where Laois could go well in and pick up a number of championship wins in the summer might help with re-establishing an interest with intercounty football in the county. Nothing beats success-would be nice for younger supporters going to Croker for a potential Tailteann Cup quarter or semi final with a realistic chance of winning these game. It could be the starting point needed to regain an interest with the wider Laois public in Laois GAA football.

Oblivious

I was in at u16 Divisional training and matches and the first night everything was laid on  with programmes printed proper jerseys warmup areas etc. There was almost 90 lads named. The first match was 15 on 15 with both having subs and the second match had one team toggled and the manager of the second looking at around 10 lads out of 23 or 24 lads and trying to cobble a team together. This group of players have S+C twice a week and football training once a week with matches every second Monday. However I heard last Monday that the first group had only 12 or 13 lads training and group 2 around 20. So out of 90 possible players for next year's minors around 30 odd turned up for training and a path to a Co panel. The U16 hurling was pulled altogether due to low interest. Now I'm not here to defend the Co board but you can hardly blame them for the apathy of players and clubs towards sending lads in for a Co team
Report to moderator    Logged

Just in response to the above, I was also at the divisional training, but note that the first night the numbers were significantly higher which is a result of clubs sending in high numbers which also includes players who would not be in a position to play at the required level from observation. I understand that, and some clubs only send in between 6-8 , some clubs 1 or 2 (even from the stronger clubs),  there are other clubs who send in 10 plus from average to good. Of the 90 named about 70- turned up from observation. The first game had subs and the second game had the bare minimum but it was till 15 a side. Its hard for anyone organising this if chosen players decide not to play or turn up so no reflection on the organisers.

Again from observation this week , there were two times allotted for the training, the earlier one had 12/13 lads training but also had 4/5 lads carrying injuries or not togged out. The later time may have suited a larger percentage than the earlier times with schools and commutes etc. Maybe they are dividing out the teams from team a and team b. Maybe some lads were not called back from the initial night. There are also some lads to return from Injury who were on the Minors last year and will be entitled to play this year.

So from having a go at the set up lets break it down.

(1) an initial group of 90 players had the option to try out for s&c training and divisional matches 70 turned up.

(2) There has been weekly s&c training mid week and at the weekend in heywood and omp

(3) They have secured a sponsor of enva for the divisional championships set up.

(4) I counted 6 coaches at the last training  session and talking to some of the players they found it a tough focused training session.

(5) Its October and its a long way off Minor championships,  but understand that this is were the building blocks start.

(6) There are more players to return who will be in the mix for the Minor set up

(7) Under 15's who will turn 16 next year will also be added into the mix

(8) No Minor manager or coaches have been picked to facilitate a minor squad.

So the random number of 30 which has been suggested will be the core of the minors is way off , but hey its low hanging fruit and it an easy reply to show the county board set up. maybe armed with a bit of knowledge we can all make informed decisions,Or we can set up a divisional begrudgers team with hurlers on the ditches versus were fecked. I am sure we may get a greater attendance than some of the county championship matches.       

Blow-in

Thanks for that. Best of luck with the year ahead.

High Fielder

Quote from: Oblivious on October 07, 2021, 01:21:12 PM
I was in at u16 Divisional training and matches and the first night everything was laid on  with programmes printed proper jerseys warmup areas etc. There was almost 90 lads named. The first match was 15 on 15 with both having subs and the second match had one team toggled and the manager of the second looking at around 10 lads out of 23 or 24 lads and trying to cobble a team together. This group of players have S+C twice a week and football training once a week with matches every second Monday. However I heard last Monday that the first group had only 12 or 13 lads training and group 2 around 20. So out of 90 possible players for next year's minors around 30 odd turned up for training and a path to a Co panel. The U16 hurling was pulled altogether due to low interest. Now I'm not here to defend the Co board but you can hardly blame them for the apathy of players and clubs towards sending lads in for a Co team
Report to moderator    Logged

Just in response to the above, I was also at the divisional training, but note that the first night the numbers were significantly higher which is a result of clubs sending in high numbers which also includes players who would not be in a position to play at the required level from observation. I understand that, and some clubs only send in between 6-8 , some clubs 1 or 2 (even from the stronger clubs),  there are other clubs who send in 10 plus from average to good. Of the 90 named about 70- turned up from observation. The first game had subs and the second game had the bare minimum but it was till 15 a side. Its hard for anyone organising this if chosen players decide not to play or turn up so no reflection on the organisers.

Again from observation this week , there were two times allotted for the training, the earlier one had 12/13 lads training but also had 4/5 lads carrying injuries or not togged out. The later time may have suited a larger percentage than the earlier times with schools and commutes etc. Maybe they are dividing out the teams from team a and team b. Maybe some lads were not called back from the initial night. There are also some lads to return from Injury who were on the Minors last year and will be entitled to play this year.

So from having a go at the set up lets break it down.

(1) an initial group of 90 players had the option to try out for s&c training and divisional matches 70 turned up.

(2) There has been weekly s&c training mid week and at the weekend in heywood and omp

(3) They have secured a sponsor of enva for the divisional championships set up.

(4) I counted 6 coaches at the last training  session and talking to some of the players they found it a tough focused training session.

(5) Its October and its a long way off Minor championships,  but understand that this is were the building blocks start.

(6) There are more players to return who will be in the mix for the Minor set up

(7) Under 15's who will turn 16 next year will also be added into the mix

(8) No Minor manager or coaches have been picked to facilitate a minor squad.

So the random number of 30 which has been suggested will be the core of the minors is way off , but hey its low hanging fruit and it an easy reply to show the county board set up. maybe armed with a bit of knowledge we can all make informed decisions,Or we can set up a divisional begrudgers team with hurlers on the ditches versus were fecked. I am sure we may get a greater attendance than some of the county championship matches.       

You were going along quite nicely until you made that final point. The veil slipped then, and you tripped yourself up. It obviously irks you that so many are critical and so many stay away. To be frank and honest, I'd rather be a hurler on the ditch than a nodding dog relying on my free parking and entry. I suspect you are either one such beneficiary or perhaps even a member of the CB. Even if you're not, keep going as you are. Everything is going so well.

Oblivious

considering 1027 post i can confirm no free passes, no free entry and not member of county board.

Ditch hurling has served the county so well for so long, but hey its good to talk

town1980

any idea on new manager any words on the street?

High Fielder

Quote from: Oblivious on October 07, 2021, 04:26:01 PM
considering 1027 post i can confirm no free passes, no free entry and not member of county board.

Ditch hurling has served the county so well for so long, but hey its good to talk

You've talked me round. I'll become a delegate. Oops already did that. Couldn't stand the bullshit politics and cronyism and walked away. Tried my hand on an underage panel as a selector and was stupid enough to ask why X and Y weren't expected to trial. That didn't go down well. Not quite a hurler on the ditch, because I also give a lot of time and money to Laois GAA, but I guess your shite smells more aromatic than mine. Your friends are doing a great job. Keep up the good work

Jd

I wasn't a critical of Co board at all i was making the point that the setups are actually very good at underage and it's up to the players to commit. I understand that these panels are open ended and that they're struggling to get some players who are on their radar to commit. As for the poster who talks about parking and passes I certainly wouldn't begrudge a fella who is giving up 3 or four hours three days a week a place to park and a free pass to matches, some of which he may be attending to see players he's interested in, would you?? Tis easy to shout and roar on the sidelines but maybe tip in and try to change it yourself

town1980

Jd

Spiritof86

Billy Sheehan set to be appointed .

Silkyskillssunshinee

Quote from: Spiritof86 on October 08, 2021, 01:46:58 PM
Billy Sheehan set to be appointed .

I wish Billy the best of luck but it's a bit of an uninspiring appointment to me. It'll be a very tough first year for him either way as he will have to try integrate a lot of new young lads into the starting team very quickly. If we're not careful, we could very easily slide all the way back into Division 4 after all the solid work Sugrue did.

Robbo

Better than I was expecting.
Young and ambitious trumps journeyman.
There'll be the usual negativity on here but we need a manager. He ticks a certain amount of boxes.

Hopefully he has a decent team with him including a couple of Laois men who could have an eye on the role down the line.
Best case scenario is that he sees us as a stepping-stone to a bigger job. Gives us 2/3 good years and moves on.
It'd be great if some of the likes of Killian Fitz, Conway, Kearns, Rory Stapleton and Clancy were part of the set-up. (The split season means they could still have club jobs after.)

We have plenty of cracks within Laois GAA. Don't think this appointment should concern anyone too much; we have bigger issues that will be there regardless of who is manager.

Best of luck to Billy.

Chrimtain

Good luck to him. If he brings the energy and enthusiasm he displayed as a player with Laois, then he may do well.

Gmac