Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bannside on February 02, 2020, 09:03:49 PM
There is no doubt that was a factor MR2. It made our job much more difficult. The player himself will know that, theres no point in hanging him out here.

Look these things happen in games, that's the whole point of the black card, I wouldn't have been the nicest defender,  so dragging a player down or tripping a player would have made me see a few.

Obviously there is a big push on how we speak to refs, it was part of our in house training and the refs were told to use it (black card) more often!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bannside

A few of our players had a go at the ref after the match... thinking there was another minute or two to be played. He had said something to Paddy Cunningham just before Paddy sent the ball over the bar to put one between them. Sounds like the ref changed his mind because Antrim players were not a bit happy!

whatwillbwillb

Young Loughran left at home yesterday Bannside, the cub is one of the best young talents we have and good for a couple of points and assists as he has proved in the limited game time lenny has given him.. bad call, game like that made for his ability,it seems the Lamhs are dominating or should I say dictating maybe the squad! Should have been 2 out of 2 yesterday.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: whatwillbwillb on February 03, 2020, 06:56:39 AM
Young Loughran left at home yesterday Bannside, the cub is one of the best young talents we have and good for a couple of points and assists as he has proved in the limited game time lenny has given him.. bad call, game like that made for his ability,it seems the Lamhs are dominating or should I say dictating maybe the squad! Should have been 2 out of 2 yesterday.

Are you basing this on the one game you've watched this year? Or from what you have seen from the training sessions you've attended maybe even the challenge games possibly? Or is it your own assumption that he should have played him? I'm basically getting had Loughran been playing we would have won? Those other claims are daft BTW
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Rodger Mona

BS im not  big fan of Cahair O'Kane and his views on antrim football, though when he calls it you have to give hime credit. Again love your optimism but our county have always struggled on the road. When ever we take one or two steps forward we always seem to take one back. By your own analyses Wexford game was the test of this current squad, with that convincing win we would have assumed Sligo away would be tight but we had capabilities to get us over the line. i myself wasnt at the game on sunday though i followed the match report and going by Lennys squads as last couple of years i cant see us in games when we are chasing, having the capacity  to get ourselves back in front of teams and sustaining it. If we start well we are usually good on the counter and are hard to break down. but chasing the game doesnt suit this squad of boys. Plenty of pace, determination and nice footballers but i think we are missing Fitzy and Tomas, or a character like Michaeal McCann or Aidso who could of dictated the play round the middle.

Sometimes i wonder with the age profile /All round calibre of this squad would another year or 2 in div4 be the worst thing. Especially when you see Derry and some of the teams in Div 3 who in my opinion have more established squads, and arent doing so well.

bannside

Good points RM, those four would be a huge help to any team. Smiley and Marc Jordan are in the middle grafting away, giving their all, but probably not first choice county midfielders in the traditional sense. Both are footballers and it's difficult to do the donkey work and and the sublime footballer all at the same time.

Whatwillbe, for what it's worth I'm a big fan of Adam. He would be getting game time if I had any say, but those are Lennys calls. MR2 that's based on seeing him 6 or 8 times, especially when he was the best player on the field in Creggan when St Galls played Aghagallon in the c'ship. Plus....talking to a few Portglenone lads on the under 20 panel say hes standout. That's good enough for me in some combo with PC Conor M Ruairi Mc Bride etc.

I like his style of play. A playmaker with the head up, a clever player who creates space and brings others into the game, not greedy nor all about him. Good feet for scoring. But Lenny obviously hasnt seen what I see and it's his opinion that matters. I would like to see more pace in the forward line, Tomas, Adam and Conor Small do that but it's unlikely we will see them play together in the right formation as there wont be many marks made inside.....but then again there were very few yesterday that I recall.

Cahir got his prediction right yesterday RM so yes credit to him for that. Sligo were a bit better than I thought, we were 20% down performance wise on last week, the two factors meaning we lost by a point, but if Mc Bride had tapped in from two yards midway through the first half (look it happens) we would be having a different conversation! That's the margins we are talking about.

Hopefully we get four points from our next two and that's us back in the mix.

BrendanAntrim

I wasn't there yesterday, so fair play to Bannside and anyone else who made the journey. Its been a while since I was at an away league game, Wicklow in fact, when we last got promotion.

I listened to the Ocean FM commentary - love those unashamedly one sided commentaries and fair play to Ocean FM - and I thought that it was sounding like we were in for a draw which would have been fine by me. This isn't a disaster though, a win in London looks entirely within reach and then its all attention on the home game v Carlow, which becomes a must win. If we end up with 6 points after 4 games promotion will be in our own hands.

Heads up all round, and it is important too that a decent crowd turn up late Feb for the Carlow game.

Hectic

Apologies if already discussed (but only trawled back a few pages) when do the league fixtures come out?

And seeing chat about Minor, Senior Reserve and Senior all on the one day.  Interesting alright.

Always liked Senior Reserve games played ahead of Senior games but personally I think to then add the Minor games is lunacy.

Getting into massive crossover of players in a lot of cases I would have thought and requires a lot of referees. I assume lads will be out officiating more than one game while players will be getting the miles into the legs too.

But this obviously has not been arrived at without thought and reason. Can anyone enlighten me as to the benefits to be had here.  Certainly might get some lads out of their beds ona Sunday. But beyond that?

whatwillbwillb

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 03, 2020, 08:49:04 AM
Quote from: whatwillbwillb on February 03, 2020, 06:56:39 AM

Are you basing this on the one game you've watched this year? Or from what you have seen from the training sessions you've attended maybe even the challenge games possibly? Or is it your own assumption that he should have played him? I'm basically getting had Loughran been playing we would have won? Those other claims are daft BTW

Come on MR2 catch a grip, I've watched this cub for a number of years from his Mc Crory/Hogan Cup performances to club and county so maybe I would have an edge over you on that one? It would be my opinion had he been there and given 20 minutes or more he would have made a significant impact as he tends to do when used, as to the other claims let wait and see, hopefully my sentiments are proved totally incorrect. Cheers Bannside glad you agree ;D

JimStynes

He's only out of minor so it's a bit much to expect him to be changing how games go.

paddyjohn

Have city teams not entered reserve teams in the ACFL?

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: Hectic on February 03, 2020, 10:54:55 PM
Apologies if already discussed (but only trawled back a few pages) when do the league fixtures come out?

And seeing chat about Minor, Senior Reserve and Senior all on the one day.  Interesting alright.

Always liked Senior Reserve games played ahead of Senior games but personally I think to then add the Minor games is lunacy.

Getting into massive crossover of players in a lot of cases I would have thought and requires a lot of referees. I assume lads will be out officiating more than one game while players will be getting the miles into the legs too.

But this obviously has not been arrived at without thought and reason. Can anyone enlighten me as to the benefits to be had here.  Certainly might get some lads out of their beds ona Sunday. But beyond that?

apparently they were sent out last night to the club secretary's. havent heard them yet
hurl like f**k boi!

delgany

Quote from: paddyjohn on February 04, 2020, 07:10:24 AM

4 belfast clubs out of 10 in Reserve Div 1
0 Belfast clubs out  7 in reserve div 2

imtommygunn

Laochra lao vs Eire og Antrim division three match just on tg4 there.

paddyjohn

Quote from: delgany on February 04, 2020, 07:02:12 PM
Quote from: paddyjohn on February 04, 2020, 07:10:24 AM

4 belfast clubs out of 10 in Reserve Div 1
0 Belfast clubs out  7 in reserve div 2

Tells it's own tale I suppose.