Rwanda 25 years on

Started by Insane Bolt, April 07, 2019, 09:44:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Insane Bolt

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-47843843

Hard to believe it's 25 years from this atrocity. 100 days and between 800,000-1,000,000 killed.

J70

Mind boggling what happened. Almost a million people in three months in an area one third the size of the island of Ireland? In terms of intensity and rate of casualties, it even exceeds the carnage wrought by the Nazis and their local collaborators in Eastern Europe, albeit for a much shorter period of time. Another example of hatred and bigotry causing people to see other people as evil threatening animals, not as human beings.

Insane Bolt

I worked with Rwandans on building projects in Uganda and some of the stories they told were horrific. There were 20 lads from a technical college along with 2 supervisors and one day I witnessed some of the lads making a cut throat gesture to a lad whom I had assumed was a local...ie Ugandan....I went over and asked what was going on....to be told that the lad being threatened was a Tutsi....and the others were Hutu. Now I know we laugh about 'kicking with the left foot'....'eyes closer together' in the North......so I asked 'how can you tell?'.....they said the Tutsi had squarer jaws and flatter noses😳. The lad that was threatened was really scared....so much so that I went to the guy in charge...an Irish lad....he sent the young lad home for the day.....then called the 20 lads and told them in no uncertain terms that he would send them back to Rwanda that evening if they didn't stop threatening the lad (he had fled the genocide as a child). Next day atmosphere was very cool....the young lad stuck close to us Irish guys.....and eventually things settled down. The guy in charge of them (German priest) told us some harrowing stories......especially the revenge carried out....and wasn't widely reported in the media.
Has much changed in the world in 25 years? Palestine, Rohingya, Syria, Yemen......man's inhumanity to man continues unabated.

Wildweasel74

The UN fucked about too long before making any sort of intervention. Had there been oil involved. The America would been in on their peace keeping mission within a week. 🤔

bennydorano

Remember watching Hotel Rwanda and thinking it was as good as a history documentary. A great lazy man's overview of the whole situation.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: bennydorano on April 08, 2019, 11:03:24 AM
Remember watching Hotel Rwanda and thinking it was as good as a history documentary. A great lazy man's overview of the whole situation.

For me the most harrowing scene was when the western tourists were being evacuated from the hotel on a coach that would take them to safety, but the locals were left behind to their fate. One lady sitting on the bus with her pet dog sitting on her lap takes a picture of the locals standing in disbelief, knowing they're going to die.