How much of your transactions are in cash?

Started by AustinPowers, October 23, 2023, 04:31:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What percentage of your transactions are in cash?

100% cash (don't use cards or apps)
90 - 99% cash
About 75% cash
About 50% cash / 50% card (or apps)
About 25% cash
1 - 10% cash
Don't use cash (all transactions are cards or apps)

imtommygunn

I don't think I know any chinese takeaways that do card.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 24, 2024, 10:34:37 AMI don't think I know any chinese takeaways that do card.

Hopefully they have their tax returns done by end of month!

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

clonian

I don't understand the big issue with having to use your card to pay for something if you have used your card to withdraw cash before that. If you're getting paid in cash fair enough but the majority of people aren't paid in cash. I have no issue with a company saying they only take cash but it can be annoying if they don't make it known beforehand.

I don't get any cash from the work I do and I can't be arsed carrying cash about to end up with change that you don't use anymore.

I am glad that tapping your card in a bar/night club wasn't a thing when I was younger - that could wipe you out for the week on a Friday night.

naka

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 24, 2024, 10:34:37 AMI don't think I know any chinese takeaways that do card.
wife says she doesnt know too may hair dressers who take the card

Milltown Row2

Quote from: naka on January 24, 2024, 11:49:22 AM

Depends were you go I suppose, wife always uses card, card machines were not about when I went to the barbers lol

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Square Ball

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 24, 2024, 10:28:31 AM
Quote from: Square Ball on January 24, 2024, 10:27:49 AMA lot of take outs on the Ormeau road only take cash. Personally I try to use cash mostly but always have the card in reserve.

Are you paid in cash?

Nope, are many paid in cash?
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

AustinPowers

Quote from: clonian on January 24, 2024, 11:07:17 AMI don't understand the big issue with having to use your card to pay for something if you have used your card to withdraw cash before that. If you're getting paid in cash fair enough but the majority of people aren't paid in cash. I have no issue with a company saying they only take cash but it can be annoying if they don't make it known beforehand.

I don't get any cash from the work I do and I can't be arsed carrying cash about to end up with change that you don't use anymore.

I am glad that tapping your card in a bar/night club wasn't a thing when I was younger - that could wipe you out for the week on a Friday night.

I'll have it!  ;D

I find it's alwsys handy  to have loose change around the house or car.. 

Milltown Row2

Quote from: AustinPowers on January 24, 2024, 12:21:26 PM
Quote from: clonian on January 24, 2024, 11:07:17 AMI don't understand the big issue with having to use your card to pay for something if you have used your card to withdraw cash before that. If you're getting paid in cash fair enough but the majority of people aren't paid in cash. I have no issue with a company saying they only take cash but it can be annoying if they don't make it known beforehand.

I'll have it!  ;D

I find it's alwsys handy  to have loose change around the house or car..

Handy to have 1ps 2ps and 5ps in your pocket, car or house is about as handy as a slap in the gub lol!

I've always cash in the wallet, but I'll use the card every time when at the shop, cash is mainly used for tips, don't do takeaways (very rarely) so wouldn't be lost there, and the local Indian takeaway (eventually, though sometimes card machine isnt working lol) has a machine.

Probably best use cash most when away on Hols as I can budget it better, take a grand in Euros and see where that takes me! But hate when pocket is filled with coins..

If I started getting things cheaper using cash I'll use it

trueblue1234

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 24, 2024, 12:01:01 PM
Quote from: naka on January 24, 2024, 11:49:22 AM

Depends were you go I suppose, wife always uses card, card machines were not about when I went to the barbers lol

Cards, cash, my wife's doesn't mind. She'll make it disappear either way.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Taylor

For small independent local shops I would try to use cash.

For the larger/corporate businesses I use card

Norm-Peterson

I use card when using a self checkout which is 75% of the time. I use them in supermarkets as I don't like small talk with cashier's.
If I go to somewhere like a petrol station I use cash, I don't trust cards to work as I have had bad experiences in the past with chips not working. It is not worth the embarrassment so I use cash on those occasions.
I recall once in Toomebridge, Co. Antrim I got diesel and went in to pay and realised I had brought the wrong credit card with me so I had no way to pay. I had to give the cashier my phone to prove that I would return with the money. I would have thought she would have trusted me to pay as I was a regular customer.

illdecide

Yes, card is handy. No doubt in that but what a lot of you don't see is the small businesses who are charged a fortune by the banks for transactions. The tips in bars and restaurants are gone now too so as much as it's handy for the punter all you're doing in making the banks richer and eventually closing the small businesses. In 10-20 years time there will not be a small business open anywhere, they simply can't afford the high wages (min wage is £11:50 p/h soon. Anything they make is paid back to government in tax and VAT.
Go to Tesco and other major Supermarkets and they're all pushing you down the self-service route and as time goes they reduce the amount of self-service that uses cash too forcing you to pay by card or stand in the long queue, eventually there will be only a handful of people working in these stores just to stack shelves etc. Taking cash out of society is wrong and a lot of people are suffering for it but it's handy as feck for us the punters
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Keyser soze

Supermarkets and other small businesses esp bars and restaurants cannott get enough people to work for them, high wages or not.

Milltown Row2

Spoke to staff at local Spar and and they brought in 3 self checkouts, they have employed more people, self checkouts not having a knock on effect with staffing.

AustinPowers

Quote from: illdecide on January 26, 2024, 08:57:31 AMYes, card is handy. No doubt in that but what a lot of you don't see is the small businesses who are charged a fortune by the banks for transactions. The tips in bars and restaurants are gone now too so as much as it's handy for the punter all you're doing in making the banks richer and eventually closing the small businesses. In 10-20 years time there will not be a small business open anywhere, they simply can't afford the high wages (min wage is £11:50 p/h soon. Anything they make is paid back to government in tax and VAT.
Go to Tesco and other major Supermarkets and they're all pushing you down the self-service route and as time goes they reduce the amount of self-service that uses cash too forcing you to pay by card or stand in the long queue, eventually there will be only a handful of people working in these stores just to stack shelves etc. Taking cash out of society is wrong and a lot of people are suffering for it but it's handy as feck for us the punters

Totally agree. Every time  you pay by card , a bank is making  money. 

I never use  self service tills. Not that I be in the big stores very often anyway , but the smaller  shops  have them now too. I'd rather queue for a few minutes than  use them.

I have noticed  the amount of cash checkouts decreasing though in big stores . More and  more card only.  They  will all eventually become card only .  I won't go into   a shop that refuses cash. But  in time, if people  just begrudgingly  accept card only, and shops are allowed to legally refuse cash  , then  it will  disappear quicker.