China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Going in the right direction anyway.
Let's hope it continues after the easing of some restrictions.
I see the 6 Co Executive relaxing a couple of measures Monday.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Rudi

Quote from: Rossfan on May 14, 2020, 06:49:01 PM

426 new cases in the ROI today, is hardly going in the right direction.

Rossfan

Check the oul details buck - load of them were old cases not notified till now for some reason.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Mikhail Prokhorov on May 14, 2020, 05:35:34 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 14, 2020, 09:40:43 AM
Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on May 14, 2020, 09:34:34 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 14, 2020, 09:26:51 AM
Quote from: Mikhail Prokhorov on May 14, 2020, 12:13:56 AM
some who have been on the covid payment, got part time work driving/cleaning/stocking etc, they wont go back to work until it runs out and will make the most of this while it lasts to prepare for the obvious downturn coming after

If they've taken part time work does that not exclude them from furloughed payment ?

Nearly sure I read that you cannot perform any paid work for your employer if furloughed (only training) but you can seek employment elsewehere if your current work contract allows (possibly to make up the missing 20%).

So if you were paid £400 per week you are looking for a part time job to pay you £80??

some pizza delivery drivers making 80 euro a night, cash in hand. hard to give that up while getting 350 covid payment as well. they'll wait til the payment is stopped.

Well if they are happy enough breaking the law, carry on?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Rudi on May 14, 2020, 07:00:07 PM

The 426 cases are spread out over a long period (back to March) . Fewer than 200 of them in the last few days.

ROI is certainly going in the right direction especially when you look at the current hospital and ICU admissions and 58 is the current number in ICU. Not going in the wrong direction when the current restrictions are lifted is the big challenge in the months ahead.

Rudi

Quote from: Rossfan on May 14, 2020, 07:06:49 PM
Check the oul details buck - load of them were old cases not notified till now for some reason.

Fair enough. Its an incrediably daft way of monitoring data all the same.

johnnycool

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on May 14, 2020, 04:35:02 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on May 14, 2020, 04:27:54 PM
Have you a link to these studies?

He posted one in post #5051.

Hopefully the govt get off their hole, order the tests*, and then start doing sampling. Then we might start to get an idea of just where we sit.

Then with that info, can start to establish whether it gives immunity and/or prevents passing it on.

Assuming anti-bodies does mean immunity and does mean you can't pass it on - then, they need to figure out whether its possible to build an immune carer buffer between the vulnerable and the less vulnerable - which would mean lockdown could be eased (not lifted) for many individuals <40 years old. Those over, say, 70 (or with health conditions) could cocoon, with all interactions limited to carers already with antibodies and therefore incapable of passing it on. So carers and would be carers would be tested as a matter of urgency.

*bickering over the price at the moment I believe. If the information led to a partial reopening of the economy even one day earlier, then even hundreds of millions paid above the price they might have negotiated down to would be extremely cheap. Penny wise, pound foolish.

the antibody test IMO isn't really the game changer unless we know for sure these antibodies offer immunity from getting it again or even if you can or can't carry the virus again.

There's going to be big issues with patents for these tests and hopefully the vaccine if/when it arrives as there's a lot of public money rightly being pumped into private pharma to speed up the development process as a French company recently came out to say that if they developed a vaccine they'd provide for the US market first as they'd received funding from there. I think the French Gov have had a word in their ear and they've backtracked on that somewhat.

Smurfy123

The south of Ireland are certainly going in the right direction
Cases per day week on week
17 April 559 confirmed cases down to 170
17 April 59 hospital inpatients a day down to 17
17 April icu beds 170 down to 55
17 April 33 deaths per day down to 13

They are getting there

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Ed Ricketts on May 14, 2020, 04:33:04 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on May 14, 2020, 04:27:54 PM
Quote from: Ed Ricketts on May 14, 2020, 04:01:56 PM
Quote from: mackers on May 14, 2020, 02:31:58 PM
Quote from: Ed Ricketts on May 14, 2020, 01:19:27 PM
If these findings are even close to reality then multiple subsequent waves of infections are inevitable. And further lockdowns are inevitable. And further massive death tallies are inevitable. There's a notion at large that we're coming through the other side of this thing, when a lot of the evidence suggests that we're only staggering back to the corner after round 1.
Inevitable ....really? What do you base this throw away line on? I'm not for one second saying that it definitely won't happen but this sort of nonsense messes with my head! It seems as if people take pleasure in pronouncing doomsday scenarios.  Go easy.......we have a thread on this message board dealing with mental health.  This sort of stuff floating about the internet is not without implications you know.

Firstly, I'll spare you the life story, but you'll have to trust me when I say that I take no pleasure from a vision of the world where this virus exists.

Secondly, if negative information about this, or any other issue, causes you anxiety then the solution is to avoid the discussion. Unfortunately, there is very little reason for real positivity while the virus remains rampant across the planet. The development of the reliable antibody test is a positive news story, though.

Lastly, the inevitability of further infections, lockdowns, and deaths is a logical conclusion from the findings of these studies. c. 95% of the population remains an open goal once the thing is allowed to spread again. And spread it will as societies open up, just as it spread before they closed down.

It's important that information like this gets out to the public and is understood. This is the only way that there will be compliance with necessary future measures. As stated previously, the mood out there seems to be that the worst has passed and everything is on the up. But more people need to understand that this is a long haul effort, dispiriting as that may be.

Have you a link to these studies?

See above.

I read the article, it's very informative....However, it makes no mention of the positive test in late December in France which has been verified - which therefore puts their own modelling out of sync. Which I find strange for an article dated 13.05, it would seem odd to therefore put a number on how many people may or may not have had it when it's been in France for at least 6 weeks earlier than thought,

We are all still learning I suppose but I would really like more articles on these very early cases especially those in Europe especially anything that has references to different strains - most articles I've come across seems to suggest there are two strains in Europe.

Still searching for some kind of smoking to infection ratio in any country. I feel this would be imperative, certainly for the reassurance of those panicked by the figures banded about.

Smurfy123

So just confirmed that more than 50% of registered deaths in Northern Ireland are in Nursing homes
What a truly catastrophic stat. Nursing homes should have been protected first and foremost. The dogs in the street knew that the old and vulnerable with underlying health issues were the people who would get this virus. We in the north knew this and had time to sort stuff unlike Italy

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: Smurfy123 on May 15, 2020, 10:06:16 AM
So just confirmed that more than 50% of registered deaths in Northern Ireland are in Nursing homes
What a truly catastrophic stat. Nursing homes should have been protected first and foremost. The dogs in the street knew that the old and vulnerable with underlying health issues were the people who would get this virus. We in the north knew this and had time to sort stuff unlike Italy

Probably why Robyn Swann as gone AWOL.

trailer

Quote from: Rudi on May 14, 2020, 07:00:07 PM

200 of these are old cases that weren't reported from one hospital. Like in the name of God. That's just unforgivable. This half arsed, lackadaisical attitude isn't really on. And sorry to harp on but it's typical of these wankers who populate top civil service and government positions. 

Smurfy123

And now the average deaths in the uk this past 5 years have been officially released and the deaths this past 3 weeks is actually lower than the average 5 year toll
Can anyone explain this? Probably because nobody is going out? Amazing
As Trump would say. It's time to open up

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Smurfy123 on May 15, 2020, 10:35:36 AM
And now the average deaths in the uk this past 5 years have been officially released and the deaths this past 3 weeks is actually lower than the average 5 year toll

I read from the very informative @ProfKarolSikora on twitter (give him a read if you don't already follow) yesterday, daily, there are 400+ deaths due to cancer in the UK.

I never thought it would be that high, for some reason that's a really sobering number to me that has me scratching my head a bit today.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Smurfy123 on May 15, 2020, 10:35:36 AM

Where have you seen this?