China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maroon Manc

322 people under 45 have died from Covid 19 in the UK which works out about 1.1% of deaths.

Smurfy123

Carehomes are the big story now in the North.
Deeply worrying statistics coming out of some
Blind leading the blind
Scandalous

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 06, 2020, 11:54:31 PM
So just to ask Karen from FB, can kids get it and if so pass it on? Asking for a friend?

Also if you live 4.7 km from the border, can you go to the shop in the south?

Think an angry mob has congregated at Emyvale to stop me going to the shop.

Luckily there is about 4 other ways into the South  :-X

trailer

Quote from: Rossfan on May 06, 2020, 11:29:04 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on May 06, 2020, 11:27:04 PM
Please stop engaging with this absolute idiot and just mute him.
+1.
Just put him on ignore list

Rossfan with his 16000+ posts thinks he's the boss of the board.

Mikhail Prokhorov

Quote from: trailer on May 07, 2020, 11:21:50 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on May 06, 2020, 11:29:04 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on May 06, 2020, 11:27:04 PM
Please stop engaging with this absolute idiot and just mute him.
+1.
Just put him on ignore list

Rossfan with his 16000+ posts thinks he's the boss of the board.

plenty on here with an opinion on everything and an expert at nothing  ;)

the more posts the more clueless

Rossfan

Do you recommend Karen instead?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Rossfan on May 07, 2020, 05:20:33 PM
Hopeful news....
https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0507/1137098-reproductive-rate/

Hopeful indeed. Cases per day continue to fall (lowest number of cases today since mid March) and the amount of people currently in ICU continues to decline.

armaghniac

Quote from: Cunny Funt on May 07, 2020, 06:02:23 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on May 07, 2020, 05:20:33 PM
Hopeful news....
https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0507/1137098-reproductive-rate/

Hopeful indeed. Cases per day continue to fall (lowest number of cases today since mid March) and the amount of people currently in ICU continues to decline.

I was listening to Prof. Paddy Mallon on the radio (anyone know where he is from?). He reckoned that if we stick at it and if we test everyone who has any sort of flu and the contacts of people shown to have Covid then we might get levels down to a very small number where substantial  resumption of life would be possible. I notice today that attention has turned to people coming in at the airport, this wasn't so important when there were many cases here anyway, but will become more important as cases fall. 
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Smurfy123

Just read 95% of new cases reported today in the South of Ireland are in carehomes.
Can people not see where the problems now are
Come on now let's start opening our eyes

Blowitupref

Quote from: Smurfy123 on May 07, 2020, 09:19:51 PM
Just read 95% of new cases reported today in the South of Ireland are in carehomes.
Can people not see where the problems now are
Come on now let's start opening our eyes

Opening your eyes to see that restrictions in place has worked?
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

LCohen

Quote from: trailer on May 05, 2020, 01:12:27 PM
Quote from: LeoMc on May 05, 2020, 01:02:26 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on May 05, 2020, 12:56:53 PM
Quote from: LeoMc on May 05, 2020, 12:41:31 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on May 05, 2020, 12:40:13 PM
Quote from: Smurfy123 on May 05, 2020, 12:33:08 PM
Radio how do you know lockdown saved life's? Are you listening to all the bullshitters at these press briefings? They have got everything wrong.
Now the first place that should have been on lockdown was carehomes. Nobody in nobody out.
Radio what's with the abuse calm down it's a discussion board

He doesn't.

He is, for whatever reasons, a Covid zealot.

Trying to get him to admit that there this a complex and grey scenario where nobody has definitive answers, is like asking a Christian hardliner to concede that God may not exist.
So in this complex and grey scenario do you advocate caution and trying to prepare or just see how it goes?

Look we have gone down a path now. Whether I agreed with that path or not doesn't matter, I've followed it closely. That's what's citizens should do. So we should see it out.

But I should never be construed as the worry for scientists. I don't accept any situation as black and white, and when future pandemics come along, I'll address them with an open mind.

The problem is, not everyone is open minded. There is a sizeable population who will literally believe anything they hear, and follow any direction they are told, as long as they trust the source. Even if that source is as consistent as a runny turd; they will still follow.

Governments and media will not trust science after this. There will be dozens of studies of Sweden's approach undertaken in the next 5 years and each of them will produce different findings. Not different good. But different enough for politicians and the media to pay less heed to scientific advice.

As such, what I would advocate is that the scientific community is a but more honest, starting now, about what they know. To reflect inwardly that maybe they don't know everything.
Are "Scientists" as one great homogeneous body claiming they have all the answers?

If whichever Government came out and said "we don't know if this will work but sure we will give it a go" what would that do to compliance levels and how would the effectiveness of the measures then be critiqued for future pandemics?

Scientists definitely got this one wrong. What did Trump call the WHO? China's Foreign relation agency? There's a lot of truth in that.

Which scientists?

LCohen

Quote from: Smurfy123 on May 05, 2020, 01:51:38 PM
You honestly couldn't make this up...

UK governement's Chief Scientific Officer

🔺March 9th banning flights would "not be effective"
🔺March 12th that football games were "low risk", the day after Madrid fans travelled to Liverpool

Now what changed? After all these scientist knew late January about this pandemic

No wonder all faith has been lost in the uk governments scientific approach

By all means lampoon these individuals but I'm sure you will be the first to admit this is in no way the same as saying that scientists as a body have been wrong or that lockdowns have been wro

Milltown Row2

Quote from: LCohen on May 07, 2020, 09:44:49 PM
Quote from: Smurfy123 on May 05, 2020, 01:51:38 PM
You honestly couldn't make this up...

UK governement's Chief Scientific Officer

🔺March 9th banning flights would "not be effective"
🔺March 12th that football games were "low risk", the day after Madrid fans travelled to Liverpool

Now what changed? After all these scientist knew late January about this pandemic

No wonder all faith has been lost in the uk governments scientific approach

By all means lampoon these individuals but I'm sure you will be the first to admit this is in no way the same as saying that scientists as a body have been wrong or that lockdowns have been wro

I'm still trying to find out if kids get it and pass it on.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea