Has the intercounty system in football told us all it’s ever going to tell us?

Started by caprea, February 13, 2020, 05:38:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Look-Up!

Quote from: five points on February 18, 2020, 08:07:30 PM
Quote from: Look-Up! on February 18, 2020, 06:29:38 PM
But just on the TM cup and Tier 2 comparison, they are not the same. TM originally had the feel of a leper colony about it and to let the Div 4 teams f**k off and play with their own ball. It got peoples' backs up from the start. If it was open to everyone i.e once your bet you're in it, it's a completely different concept. If you want to argue motivations of the competing teams after this fair enough, it's just a case of opinions, but to say it has been tried already is wrong IMO.
Cavan played several years in the Tommy Murphy Cup and we were never in Division 4.
I thought it was just the once. They changed the format a bit but it was mostly a Div 4 competition

rosnarun

if you win the tier2 cup are you guaranteed Sam mcguire   the following year . if not this would be a real incentive.

I know if Mayo ever played tier 2 they would do their damnedest to win it
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

caprea

People free to discuss whatever they want but disappointing that this discussion is now about "Tiers".

The question that is far more interesting is that if Kerry and Dublin jointly won intercounty  Gaelic Football and look to go on winning it for the next 10 years then why go on playing it?

five points

Quote from: Look-Up! on February 19, 2020, 01:19:25 AM
But just on the TM cup and Tier 2 comparison, they are not the same. TM originally had the feel of a leper colony about it and to let the Div 4 teams f**k off and play with their own ball. It got peoples' backs up from the start. If it was open to everyone i.e once your bet you're in it, it's a completely different concept. If you want to argue motivations of the competing teams after this fair enough, it's just a case of opinions, but to say it has been tried already is wrong IMO.
Cavan played several years in the Tommy Murphy Cup and we were never in Division 4.
I thought it was just the once. They changed the format a bit but it was mostly a Div 4 competition

It was only a Div 4 competition for the final 2 years of its 5-year existence.
Full year-by-year record here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_Tommy_Murphy_Cup

AFM

Quote from: caprea on February 19, 2020, 11:10:45 AM
People free to discuss whatever they want but disappointing that this discussion is now about "Tiers".

The question that is far more interesting is that if Kerry and Dublin jointly won intercounty  Gaelic Football and look to go on winning it for the next 10 years then why go on playing it?

Sure why go on living, death is just going win in the end!

Look-Up!

Quote from: caprea on February 19, 2020, 11:10:45 AM

There's still the Ulster and Connaught championships. Progress through the divisions in the league. Club football. Sure why play any sport if you're not the best at it?
Tier 2 probably rears its head because it's something realistic lesser teams can hope to win. I get the resistance to it and the natural inclination to compare it to TM cup. But football has changed a lot since the TM cup. The romance of the championship is not what it was and I think it's beginning to dawn on smaller counties that the gap to the big boys has become so big that even a once off brilliant crop of young lads coming through will not close it much.

caprea

Look-Up!

Quote from: five points on February 19, 2020, 11:21:04 AM
Quote from: Look-Up! on February 19, 2020, 01:19:25 AM

It was only a Div 4 competition for the final 2 years of its 5-year existence.
Full year-by-year record here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_Tommy_Murphy_Cup
How did you qualify for it. I remember us playing in it once when they tried to expand it. Apart from that my recollection of it was for Division 4 teams or teams who had recently been in Division 4.
And was it not ruling out the back door for some teams that pissed a lot off?

five points

Quote from: Look-Up! on February 19, 2020, 11:39:48 AM
How did you qualify for it. I remember us playing in it once when they tried to expand it. Apart from that my recollection of it was for Division 4 teams or teams who had recently been in Division 4.
And was it not ruling out the back door for some teams that pissed a lot off?

I can't remember it all but wikipedia says it was in the early years open to everyone that was beaten in the early rounds of the qualifiers. Clare beat Sligo in the 2004 final and both were strong enough at the time. Only 4 teams entered in 2004.  Ruling out the back door for Div 4 definitely killed it in the end and will do the same only worse for the new competitions.

Any ambitious Div 3 team will fancy their chances of progressing in the qualifiers. I know if Cavan get relegated this year, I'll be bitterly disappointed if they're denied that opportunity.

Rossfan

Quote from: rosnarun on February 19, 2020, 10:47:28 AM
if you win the tier2 cup are you guaranteed Sam mcguire   the following year .
Yes if I recall correctly..

If we are to abolish County due to differences in population etc etc what do we put in its place?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

caprea

Quote from: Rossfan on February 19, 2020, 11:48:51 AM

If we are to abolish County due to differences in population etc etc what do we put in its place?

10-12 regional professional teams

Look-Up!

Quote from: caprea on February 19, 2020, 01:42:15 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on February 19, 2020, 11:48:51 AM

10-12 regional professional teams
Personally I'd have no interest in supporting a team like this. I'm sure there's plenty like me. We've grown up used to the county system and affiliated to the players representing us.
For a proper professional system to work I'd imagine there would also have to be free movement of players so you could have a team of players representing a region not from the region. Maybe you could have a quota that a certain amount have to be local but you'd have to get the percentage right.
Who knows what will happen in the future. It would certainly be a terrific lifestyle for anyone good enough to make a living from it but it would take some work to get to the stage where it would be financially viable. Next generations would have to buy into it big time.
How it would effect the club game would be another gamble. It would certainly alleviate fixtures congestion but funding would be a problem. Ireland is a small country and there is a limit to how big the pie can get. If you pay Paul you rob Peter.

Eire90

Eire90

caprea

Quote from: Eire90 on February 19, 2020, 03:41:11 PM
so are we talking about the american franchise system

We are talking about the elite level of GAA being professional like the way elite sport works in every country on earth. You can follow a model or build your own model to suit. There's no requirement to copy the US franchise model.