Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trailer

Quote from: Tubberman on November 16, 2018, 10:08:48 PM
Quote from: ardtole on November 16, 2018, 10:04:06 PM
Quote from: screenexile on November 16, 2018, 09:52:49 PM
Quote from: Sheugh Water on November 16, 2018, 08:34:41 PM
Quote from: screenexile on November 16, 2018, 04:52:16 PM
Corbyn is part of the reason the Country is in a mess. . . a load of left wing headbangers joined the Labour Party for 50p now there's no way they can force him out even though he's never going to appeal to the middle ground Labour need to win back Parliament.

Along with that he's a f**king Brexiteer so f**k him anyway. The UK is in severe bother but I actually think there is a way out of this if May sticks to her guns!!

Yep Irish nationalists should stay well clear of Corbyn. Not to be trusted

Nationalism is fine without Corbyn the border poll will be soon enough... the problem will be the Irish taking us on not the Brits casting us aside!!

You hit the nail on the head screenexile, if there was a vote in the 26 counties next week for Irish unity, I honestly think as low as 35/40% would be in favour.

i think it would be more like 55% in favour,  but it would be out of patriotism or a sense of nationalism and finality to the whole partition issue. it certainly wouldn't be down to personal gain because we would almost certainly be worse off.

Two interesting posts. Reinforces my view that there is only a thin veneer of Irishness painted over those in the 26.

armaghniac

i think it would be more like 55% in favour,  but it would be out of patriotism or a sense of nationalism and finality to the whole partition issue. it certainly wouldn't be down to personal gain because we would almost certainly be worse off.

People wouldn't be in favour before, and wouldn't be in favour afterwards, but there would be considerable bandwagon effect on the day. This was the case in Germany.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Farrandeelin

Corbyn is part of the reason the Country is in a mess. . . a load of left wing headbangers joined the Labour Party for 50p now there's no way they can force him out even though he's never going to appeal to the middle ground Labour need to win back Parliament.

Along with that he's a f**king Brexiteer so f**k him anyway. The UK is in severe bother but I actually think there is a way out of this if May sticks to her guns!!

Nationalism is fine without Corbyn the border poll will be soon enough... the problem will be the Irish taking us on not the Brits casting us aside!!

You hit the nail on the head screenexile, if there was a vote in the 26 counties next week for Irish unity, I honestly think as low as 35/40% would be in favour.

It'd more than likely take 10 or 15 years to come back to normal. I'm sure people could manage that.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Milltown Row2

It be amazing, I could be more Irish.. oh wait
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Tubberman

Quote from: Farrandeelin on November 16, 2018, 10:45:25 PM

It'd more than likely take 10 or 15 years to come back to normal. I'm sure people could manage that.

Depends on a person's circumstances. In principle,  I'd be willing to take a bit of hardship "for the greater good", but people have mortgages, creche fees, car loans etc to pay.  Not everyone is in a position to give up a few grand so that Sammy Wilson gets an opportunity to squak in Leinster House
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Sheugh Water

Quote from: trailer on November 16, 2018, 10:18:19 PM

Correct. He's in bed with SF as well. Corbyn is the biggest threat to peace in Ireland.

He is an English politician so and if history has taught us anything that means he is therefore a threat to peace, its inevitable anyhow that peace will be broken sooner or later, again a lesson from history which has been repeated at various intervals over 800 years

Eamonnca1

Why does everyone make this assumption? Economists have looked into this and found that with the elimination of duplicate bureaucracy the island would be a lot better off.  GDP would be up, not down.

Sheugh Water

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on November 16, 2018, 11:50:51 PM

Why does everyone make this assumption? Economists have looked into this and found that with the elimination of duplicate bureaucracy the island would be a lot better off.  GDP would be up, not down.

It would take time but yes it would be better longterm

Rossfan

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 16, 2018, 11:03:40 PM
You could vote in Referenda without having to move to the 26 ;)
You wouldn't have Rees Mogg (has to be a comedy show caricature surely?)deciding you're future.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Rossfan on November 17, 2018, 12:05:33 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 16, 2018, 11:03:40 PM
You could vote in Referenda without having to move to the 26 ;)
You wouldn't have Rees Mogg (has to be a comedy show caricature surely?)deciding you're future.

Ah, I could move to Roscommon, that be fun
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Rossfan

You could relax for a change and not always have to be on your guard so you can get offended.
We can have a laugh at ourselves here as we don't take ourselves too seriously ( but don't mention Ballagh)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

RedHand88

Quote from: Rossfan on November 17, 2018, 12:17:43 AM
You could relax for a change and not always have to be on your guard so you can get offended.
We can have a laugh at ourselves here as we don't take ourselves too seriously ( but don't mention Ballagh)

Strange of you to mention a random town in Mayo....

Waaaaaayyyyyyyyy  ;D ;D ;D

Dougal Maguire

I'd like to think that if push came to shove the thought of possibly suffering some short term pain in order to achieve what our ancestors fought and died for would be enough to persuade people to vote for a UI. The fact that it would also wipe the smug smile of Jeffrey's face should also be enough I'd have thought
Careful now

omochain

Quote from: seafoid on November 16, 2018, 08:18:53 PM
Quote from: omochain on November 16, 2018, 07:27:16 PM
Quote from: seafoid on November 16, 2018, 05:32:20 PM
Quote from: Franko on November 16, 2018, 04:58:09 PM
Quote from: HiMucker on November 16, 2018, 04:49:42 PM
Franko you beat me to it there. I'm sure there is an element of self interest, but in my opinion and having heard the men speak in a more private arena, just like what has been said of Corbyn, they come a across as very decent individuals. I think history will judge them well.

Probably truth in that.  Varadkar (and probably moreso Coveney) do come across to me as level headed and decent.
Even if it was just alignment of interest the GFA gave the Dublin govt leverage to be used in times like these. There is a very good reason for the DUP heads to be shouting  and roaring now. The 6 counties are not the same as Finchley.
Anyway if you look at the demographics it is a no brainer.

I think Kevin OHiggins was justice minister when a group of Gaels came down in 1927 looking for help. They were turned away. So many times people from the North were ignored.
Now you have Paris and Berlin supporting the Dublin position which supports the GFA ie living in NI with Irish passport and an open border.

Bia na mara:

a bit of advice please

That period of Irish history between 1918 and 1938 is seriously under covered. Do you have any recommendations on where I can go to do some research on the period.

Conor McNamara is very good

https://www.kennys.ie/results/?q=Conor+Mcnamara

Kennys.ie is good for Irish history

Ulster history is fascinating. The O'Neills had a coronating chair in Tullyogue. SF should have used it for Michelle. Untouchable political theatre vs makey uppy on the DUP side.
Thanks, appreciate the help.

Tubberman

Quote from: Sheugh Water on November 16, 2018, 11:52:50 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on November 16, 2018, 11:50:51 PM

It would take time but yes it would be better longterm

It would take a long time and a lot of voters wouldn't be around to see that day.
The costs of integrating public bodies, civil service, rationalisation, cross-community integration,  enhanced security etc etc would be huge.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."