American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Anyone see this? Minnesota high school team come back from 27-10 down with a minute left to win.

https://deadspin.com/high-school-football-team-wins-game-by-scoring-19-point-1820330610/amp

AZOffaly

Quote from: Syferus on November 11, 2017, 10:37:13 PM
Auburn 16-7 up against Georgia at the half. Fromm being tested (and failing) with the rushing game locked down, while Georgia's own previously stingy rushing defensive has given up big chunks to Johnson. Auburn winning here would really make things interesting nationwide.

Auburn look great tonight. This makes Georgia very vulnerable all of a sudden and Auburn are right back in it.

Syferus

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 11, 2017, 11:29:54 PM
Quote from: Syferus on November 11, 2017, 10:37:13 PM
Auburn 16-7 up against Georgia at the half. Fromm being tested (and failing) with the rushing game locked down, while Georgia's own previously stingy rushing defensive has given up big chunks to Johnson. Auburn winning here would really make things interesting nationwide.

Auburn look great tonight. This makes Georgia very vulnerable all of a sudden and Auburn are right back in it.

40-17 FT.

Serious hurtin' to put on the #1 team in the nation, according to the CFP voters. Means the Iron Bowl in two weeks should be a CFP quarter-final in all but name. Iron Bowls are always great ocassions but when both teams are in late November with live national title hopes it's something special. The Tigers coming good at the right time.

RealSpiritof98

Alabama look in trouble, the Irish down 20-zip and Geogia beat, could 1,2 and 3 really go down tonight, crazy wonderful game

Syferus

Quote from: RealSpiritof98 on November 12, 2017, 02:44:21 AM
Alabama look in trouble, the Irish down 20-zip and Geogia beat, could 1,2 and 3 really go down tonight, crazy wonderful game

Mostly due to injuries on defense for Bama. Driving with a quarter to go and only seven down, I wouldn't be sending up the white smoke yet. Auburn beat Miss State without breaking a sweat.

RealSpiritof98

Quote from: Syferus on November 12, 2017, 02:48:22 AM

Mostly due to injuries on defense for Bama. Driving with a quarter to go and only seven down, I wouldn't be sending up the white smoke yet. Auburn beat Miss State without breaking a sweat.

All levels now, will be a good final 10 mins if miss state do anything here, looks like the sooners gonna be the big winners

Syferus

Quote from: RealSpiritof98 on November 12, 2017, 03:01:17 AM
Quote from: Syferus on November 12, 2017, 02:48:22 AM

All levels now, will be a good final 10 mins if miss state do anything here, looks like the sooners gonna be the big winners

Bama are a different breed to Georgia, ND, OK. There's a reason they're probably the greatest dynasty in the history of college football.

All roads lead to the Iron Bowl now.

RealSpiritof98

My limited knowledge agrees, however some shocking calls I thought from the MS coaches, surely he should have went for it 4th and 4 on the 49 against such a good team. Also that PI at the end why wasnt it put at the 1 ala NFL-forgive my ignorance

heganboy

Notre Dame are the Liverpool of College Football.
Or the Armagh of college football
Or the Ireland of college football
Or the Ballyhegan of college football.

Anyway, flatter to deceive again please...
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Asal Mor

Quote from: J70 on November 11, 2017, 12:12:27 PM
Quote from: Syferus on November 10, 2017, 05:04:13 PM
People attributed Chris Benoit's crimes to steroids at first but head injuries seems far more likely a cause. It doesn't do anything to exonerate Hernandez but it does help explain it and if anything makes it even more tragic.

When you see Tom Brady's wife slipping up and disclosing he had concussions that were never reported,  and him being both at the most protected position in football and totally financially secure, can you imagine what the lad with a vet minimum contract and no guaranteed money will do to avoid being reported for a head injury?

Could it NOT affect his guilt though? His diminished control of impulses, rage, decision making etc., after all, are directly related to what he did. It's not like he got coked up and did it. He had an undiagnosed disease which unfortunately can only be detected post mortem. This stuff is going to pose difficulties for the justice system in the future, whether it's athletes or combat veterans or whatever. "My client had X number of severe concussions. We fear he may have brain disease and cannot be proven, conclusively, beyond all doubt, to be fully responsible".

If the case studies and research are there, how can the justice system ignore it? But if and individual can only be proven to be a sufferer post mortem...?
I think you're right J70. Like a mentally ill person who commits a crime it's impossible to know how much control or rational choice was there. Would any of the damage have shown up on a brain scan? Might be a legal defense if it did. I heard Alan Shearer talking about going for a brain scan to check for damage as part of the documentary about brain injury in soccer(mainly from the pov of heading a ball i think) that will be aired tonight.

Not sure if combat veterans sustain many concussions nowadays.  ;) You might have been thinking of BA Baracas.

stew

Quote from: Asal Mor on November 12, 2017, 06:08:18 AM
People attributed Chris Benoit's crimes to steroids at first but head injuries seems far more likely a cause. It doesn't do anything to exonerate Hernandez but it does help explain it and if anything makes it even more tragic.

When you see Tom Brady's wife slipping up and disclosing he had concussions that were never reported,  and him being both at the most protected position in football and totally financially secure, can you imagine what the lad with a vet minimum contract and no guaranteed money will do to avoid being reported for a head injury?

Could it NOT affect his guilt though? His diminished control of impulses, rage, decision making etc., after all, are directly related to what he did. It's not like he got coked up and did it. He had an undiagnosed disease which unfortunately can only be detected post mortem. This stuff is going to pose difficulties for the justice system in the future, whether it's athletes or combat veterans or whatever. "My client had X number of severe concussions. We fear he may have brain disease and cannot be proven, conclusively, beyond all doubt, to be fully responsible".

If the case studies and research are there, how can the justice system ignore it? But if and individual can only be proven to be a sufferer post mortem...?
I think you're right J70. Like a mentally ill person who commits a crime it's impossible to know how much control or rational choice was there. Would any of the damage have shown up on a brain scan? Might be a legal defense if it did. I heard Alan Shearer talking about going for a brain scan to check for damage as part of the documentary about brain injury in soccer(mainly from the pov of heading a ball i think) that will be aired tonight.

Not sure if combat veterans sustain many concussions nowadays.  ;) You might have been thinking of BA Baracas.

Wisconsin powering on, what do they have to do to get in, strength of schedule poor but they beat the 25th ranked team yesterday like they were a D3 team..

ND finished for the playoffs, Bama drop, surely the Badgers deserve a spot at this stage.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Syferus

Quote from: stew on November 12, 2017, 10:39:20 AM
Quote from: Asal Mor on November 12, 2017, 06:08:18 AM

Wisconsin powering on, what do they have to do to get in, strength of schedule poor but they beat the 25th ranked team yesterday like they were a D3 team..

ND finished for the playoffs, Bama drop, surely the Badgers deserve a spot at this stage.

Alabama won on the road in the SEC against the #16 team in the nation.

AZOffaly

I presume he meant Georgia drop.

Only Washington screwed up my predictions so far :)

hegan, what's your issue with Notre Dame? I like Notre Dame, obviously the fighting Irish thing was a hook for me but I visited the campus, have been at 3 games and I really like the whole Notre Dame attitude to football. I love their history, but I also like the fact that they have high standards. Same reason I like and admire Stanford and Penn State for example.

Syferus

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 12, 2017, 01:02:05 PM
I presume he meant Georgia drop.

Only Washington screwed up my predictions so far :)

hegan, what's your issue with Notre Dame? I like Notre Dame, obviously the fighting Irish thing was a hook for me but I visited the campus, have been at 3 games and I really like the whole Notre Dame attitude to football. I love their history, but I also like the fact that they have high standards. Same reason I like and admire Stanford and Penn State for example.

I was with you until you brought Penn State into it. Disgusting program and an equally disgusting fan-base. Nothing worse than an organisation that pretends to have morals for the cameras but are bankrupt in reality.

AZOffaly

The whole Sandusky thing was a monumental screw up, and the program has been tainted without doubt.