Leinster Senior Hurling Championship 2020

Started by G@@, March 03, 2020, 09:42:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

High Fielder

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on November 10, 2020, 09:22:26 AM
If Laois County Board don't sack him, it's not going to play out very well.  There is now a tension between the two sides,  which was not created by the County Board.  Managers constantly spout on about "professionalism" (berating your employer on National Media "professional" ) and using County Boards as a fall guy.  Quite simply the money is not there,  the GAA is not just there to facilitate senior teams.  There is a delusion among plenty of people that the GAA is all about the main team.  Laois GAA are naïve in they constantly allow the cult of manager to grow to the detriment of the organization.  This again chips away at the Laois GAA Brand, If they are constantly been ran down how can you respect them ?  On  a personal level I find them very efficient if a little overran from the constant demands placed upon them. 

These outside manager only serve themselves and not Laois,  it's constant short-termism.  Eddie in some parts is being held up as the wronged when he insulted and berated the County Board.  It's always the same in this County,  the unpaid unhearlded County Board (trying to keep the whole thing running on pittance) are portrayed as the bad guys.  The Manager who gets paid "expenses" builds up unrealistic expectations is the hero and in the end the real victim is Laois GAA.

Get a grip. The thing is run on a shoestring and that suits them just fine. Don't give me this poor old CB horse shite. You must be another lackey who gets free parking and a gentle pat on the back as you're let through the big gate. Your posts make me puke. Spineless

High Fielder

Quote from: portlaoisekid on November 10, 2020, 09:26:47 AM
We all know what he said is true but lets face it he was gone anyway. There is only one loser in all this and that's Laois hurling, is Brennan the oracle? no but he made us become a better team and aside from Cheddar its a long time since we saw that. They both set standards high and wanted to aim even higher, both hit a brick wall and left. This cycle will never end as our CB don't give a toss about long term success for hurling in this county.

CB are on the hit list as usual for not meeting these standards but also lets not forget that its no secret how disappointed Brennan has been with lads not committing. We need those not committing to play and they wont, so once again standards not being met . So there's more at play than our CB and from what I hear that's as much of an issue as our CB for the mgt team.

At the end of the day Brennan comes out of this smelling of roses and will probably rock up at a high level county with Corcoran and achieve success.

Spot on. We are our own worst enemy here. We have good talented players who give this the side eye. Taking lads in from Kilkenny and Kerry is asking for trouble because they don't understand that mindset. You can't blame lads for not going in either, because let's be honest here, it's fairly meaningless. One big shit storm and that's just the bind the likes of ourselves and Offaly are in. I understand the hurling lads feeling second best, but believe me lads, the footballers are only getting a bigger portion at an already empty table. This debate goes deeper than Eddie Brennan and Laois

BallyroanAbu

Shows your mentality insult people who you want contributing to Laois but then again what do you expect.  Good luck with tapping up the ultra wealthy when you insult people who are already contributing.

Zooming around

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on November 10, 2020, 09:22:26 AM
If Laois County Board don't sack him, it's not going to play out very well. 

I'd say it could play out very badly if they do sack him. The players love him and have made good progress under him. He has shown himself to be ambitious and wants to succeed.

High Fielder

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on November 10, 2020, 09:48:48 AM
Shows your mentality insult people who you want contributing to Laois but then again what do you expect.  Good luck with tapping up the ultra wealthy when you insult people who are already contributing.

You're right and I'm sorry BA. My language was a little coarse. Let's just say I disagree with your view point. Nobody does anything for nothing nowadays.

blueandwhite1

Sensational interview. There are always two sides to the story but I'm squarely with Eddie on this. I'm glad it came out as it will put maximum pressure on the county board. Aside from the money stuff, which is a genuine challenge in Laois, there are many things that our county board regularly botch. The running off our championships is one thing pointed out by Eddie which was a cause of frustration for everyone. The general lack of engagement, communication, stakeholder management is very poor. Every hurling manager in Laois except the useless spineless journeymen, and many of our more promenent senior hurlers over the years have said the same thing. County board couldn't give a flying f*&k about the players and the games. It is populated by people who have time on their hands to attend meetings rather than energetic thinkers who can work with people to get things done.

As for the LED lights - great for the environment but at a time when we are full of debt and there isn't a bob for our county teams. What was wrong with the old lights? Hardly an environmental disaster if they are turned on 10 times a year.

Butch Cassidy

There's obviously issues but this was not the platform for airing grievances and I'm surprised Eddie would speak so candidly to a person he wouldn't know all that well. It sounds like he has many issues and his frustration boiled over. I dont think Eddie came out of this well.

I hope Eddie sits down with the county board and iron out the differences as he has been great for Laois hurling an MBE great if they could build on the Clare game.

Giovanni

I haven't heard the actual recording of the bit at the end but it's very unfortunate. I'm a huge fan of the work that Eddie Brennan has done and clearly he is a bit frutrated (particularly seeing the fine margins that were involved in the Clare game) but I do think it was an error of judgement to vent like that, even if it was off the record.

I would also feel that maybe the work done by the Country Board is not always appreciated properly (including by me). It was, after all, the County Board that was responsible for selecting the same Eddie Brennan in the first place and as Ballyroan points out are doing a lot of work for free. It's not a great reward to be denigrated like that in such a public way by a leading figure in GAA circles.

At the same time, I really hope that they can get together and resolve these issues in a way that respects all points of view (and also the financial realities that we're living in at the moment). I do hope the County Board will really consider the essence of the point - raising more resources - rather than taking personal offence (which I could easily understand in the circumstances). With Eddie Brennan in charge, I think fundraising would be an easier task than might have been the case in the past.

blueandwhite1

Quote from: Giovanni on November 10, 2020, 12:13:46 PM
I haven't heard the actual recording of the bit at the end but it's very unfortunate. I'm a huge fan of the work that Eddie Brennan has done and clearly he is a bit frutrated (particularly seeing the fine margins that were involved in the Clare game) but I do think it was an error of judgement to vent like that, even if it was off the record.

Giovanni, would recommend you listen to it. It is going around on Whatsapp. It is about 3-4 minutes long. I don't think it was an error of judgement at all. He was dead right. His job is not to placate the county board it is to contrast their support of the senior hurling team setup from what is acceptable, and what is normal in more successful counties. It might be a one sided perspective but it also points to a culture that is not likely to bring success in the future. We really need to do something like what Michael Duignan has done and parachute in someone who cares more about the development of the game than anything else.

Yes, the CB are volunteers that do a lot of good work. Grand, let them look after lights and such things but they should not have the purse strings or decisions on how competitions or run, coaching or on how to develop the games more broadly in the county. Their mediocre performance would suggest they are not up to the job.

Laois Rising

I agree with you Giovanni- maybe the publicity of this might help bring in additional backers/funding for next year. Laois hurlers have been on an upward curve since Eddie came in and there is still plenty of scope for improvement. While our underage teams haven't won too many big games lately we have seen some quality players on those sides. If those young players were to join a senior set up where the right environment and structures were in place you could see Laois stepping up another level and being competitive against top tier sides on a more regular basis over the next decade. Players like Podge Delaney have made great strides since being introduced to the panel-the potential is definitely there.  The Comerford's, James Keyes etc. are lads in their early 20s who are starting to/will break through and the future of Laois hurling could be a bright one if properly supported.

clonadmad

Two stark examples for those of ye defending the county board

Laois nearly lost the services of Derek McGrath because it took the CB 10/11 weeks to make a decision to allow him to get on board

A simple Yes or No was what was required

Why the delay

Because if they got McGrath on board it would show up a lack of a "name" for the other underage teams instead of going balls out to get other top of the line coach's in for the u20's

Tipp county board

Tipp footballers in Munster final Bloody Sunday centenary weekend

Want to play in the original green and white jersey

Roadblocks in the way as regards sanctioned jersey,sanctioned colors with croke park,o'neills having a jersey and stock in place and also with Teneo  the sponsor

Within 36 hours over a weekend

Everyone of those issues are sorted,tipp will play in the Bloody Sunday colors with Tipperary not Teneo across their midriffs

Why because their CB got off their holes and did what was necessary

Everything that Eddie Brennan said was True

True in relation to the Laois CB,the Hurling board and also in relation at the very end to Ned Quinn and the KK CB

burdizzo

Blueandwhite1 is right - and Brennan himself brought this up in the interview. Why the hell not get passionate hurling men (Niall Rigney was suggested as an example) and get them to infiltrate the County Board?

BallyroanAbu

County Board is a democracy so Niall does not need to infiltrate all he needs to get is people to vote for him.

High Fielder

Democracy. If your face fits, go forward for selection. More politics than the Dail in GAA any day of the week. An absolute closed shop. You don't see many of these boys standing down despite being kilt with their voluntary duties. They just look for another role. Democracy me smalls.

redsetanta

Duignan was an outspoken, former player and got elected. Why not the likes of Rigney if he wanted it?
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi