Leinster Senior Hurling Championship 2020

Started by G@@, March 03, 2020, 09:42:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G@@

Laois V Clare in the qualifier - neutral venue.
"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!

Spiritof1915

I believe ronan broderick ruptured his cruciate following the Dublin game. Will be a loss.

redsetanta

Wouldn't have minded a shot at Cork as they don't seem to be in great shape. Can't see us getting close to Clare to be honest.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

burdizzo

Don't know if this game is Saturday or Sunday (Saturday's to be wet) but they played Clare on a wet day in March and weren't a million miles away.

Helix.

Quote from: Spiritof1915 on November 02, 2020, 11:45:08 AM
I believe ronan broderick ruptured his cruciate following the Dublin game. Will be a loss.

Poor hoor I feel his pain. Speedy recovery to him!

beano

Nowlan park should be some advantage to us. Sport at this levels is very fine margins . At half time on Saturday Dublin were looking at a bad beating . Now they were unlucky not to win . With regards to Saturday . I'm looking for a decent performance. Thankfully the match isn't in thurles as the wide open spaces would have hurt us. The game plan should be simple , keep it tight at back and take long range points from midfield/half forward line . Hopefully we take heart from an encouraging display against them in the league.

blueandwhite1

Unfortunately my outlook for Saturday is fairly pessimistic. Knock out championship hurling now and Clare will be hurting badly from their defeat last weekend. We were very poor against Dublin and are still missing too many to be competitive. I hope I'm wrong but would be expecting a good hiding from any of the remaining teams from what I have seen so far. The only bright side is that Clare are slightly less big than most of the other teams so we mightn't be dominated physically as much as with other teams.

redsetanta

Trying to stop Tony Kelly will be the first place to start!
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Keyser Söze

Quote from: beano on November 02, 2020, 03:23:44 PM
Nowlan park should be some advantage to us. Sport at this levels is very fine margins . At half time on Saturday Dublin were looking at a bad beating . Now they were unlucky not to win . With regards to Saturday . I'm looking for a decent performance. Thankfully the match isn't in thurles as the wide open spaces would have hurt us. The game plan should be simple , keep it tight at back and take long range points from midfield/half forward line . Hopefully we take heart from an encouraging display against them in the league.

Sounds simple! Need to focus on trying to squeeze the opposition around the middle third while playing some form of sweeper. Not easy but we failed big time in this regard v Dublin.
Kelly will be difficult to contain and there's serious pace inside with the Aarons x 2 and Shane O' Donnell. We aren't blessed with pace starting or in back up. Could see our FB line picking up early yellows- don't think we have the back up to come in and relieve them?

Pessimistic also unfortunately, we have a solid history of shipping huge beatings in these games. Hope I'm wrong. Somebody above hoping for Cork instead of Clare is mental talk to me. This is as good as it could have been & it's still likely to be a very tough day.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

beano

I think we have to be realistic - At the start of the year we are ranked last of all the Liam McCarthy teams so we have to put things into context. No need to be over negative. A decent performance and keep score within ten is a realistic target. That's not negative just realistic.  What's the story with John Lennon ? Is he badly injured?

My team for Saturday would be :

Rowland, Ciaran McEvoy, Matthew/Sean Downey, Donnacha, Jack Kelly , Ryan and Podge Delaney Paddy and Fennell in Midfield. Aaron Dunphy Pickey and james Ryan. Ross, Willie Dunphy and John Lennon (If fit he is sweeper).

options from bench to include : lee Cleere , eric kileen, stephen bergin, diarmuid conway, James keys

On another note; Any sign of Mossy Bruce? He hasn't posted in a While!!

Helix.

Quote from: beano on November 02, 2020, 10:12:28 PM
I think we have to be realistic - At the start of the year we are ranked last of all the Liam McCarthy teams so we have to put things into context. No need to be over negative. A decent performance and keep score within ten is a realistic target. That's not negative just realistic.  What's the story with John Lennon ? Is he badly injured?

My team for Saturday would be :

Rowland, Ciaran McEvoy, Matthew/Sean Downey, Donnacha, Jack Kelly , Ryan and Podge Delaney Paddy and Fennell in Midfield. Aaron Dunphy Pickey and james Ryan. Ross, Willie Dunphy and John Lennon (If fit he is sweeper).

options from bench to include : lee Cleere , eric kileen, stephen bergin, diarmuid conway, James keys

On another note; Any sign of Mossy Bruce? He hasn't posted in a While!!

I'd have Lee Cleere in corner back  instead of McEvoy but rest of it seems as best as we have at the moment.
Keep the score at least respectable and make an attempt of attacking instead of shutting up ship with sweepers.

redsetanta

Something similar to performance against Tipp last year would be great.

I mentioned Cork earlier because I don't think they are any better than Clare at the moment and wouldn't be putting 10 goals past us. Why not play Cork instead of Clare? The last time we played Clare in the championship in the double header they gave us a pasting.

Keyser Söze

I'd have Cork ahead of Clare, and I think they have better hurlers all round that we wouldn't be able to live with. They are a bit like RE are in the Laois championship. Their skill level is really really high and they tend to paste teams weaker but struggle a bit with teams on the same level. Just a matter of opinion I suppose.
I don't McEvoy would be suited to the full back line at InterCounty level. Legs & explosive speed needed in there. Downey in there is a good move of a small bit left field.
Hopefully there is a spirited performance in them.

No sign of Mossy for a long time, has Merman decided to go to ground too? He was (rightly) very unhappy about a particular post that wasn't deleted a few weeks back.

blueandwhite1

I assume Downey at full back is based on this strong performances there for Carlow IT. He has plenty of hurling and pace anyway.

Keyser Söze

He's a very good fit in fairness. Forgot he had moved back there for Carlow this year after a few years around midfield/half forward for them.