Leinster Senior Hurling Championship 2020

Started by G@@, March 03, 2020, 09:42:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merman

I've heard conflicting reports that a couple of players have agreed to rejoin the Laois panel.
Does anyone have any clarity?

redsetanta

Wouldn't surprise me with the way the championship has been planned for this year. Doesn't interfere with the club and will be done and dusted by Christmas. Ideal for many lads.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Ogie

Laois Clubs being kicked again by HQ, Games allowed to go ahead but Gaa won't let,
All to keep the cash cow of the Inter County Season safe.

Ridiculous that the Hurling finals can not go ahead this weekend but lads are supposed to train away til November or December for their day.

burdizzo

I know. There was no stopping the Dublin games when they were 'lock-down', was there?
It's worse for the under age teams still in it - are they supposed to train until December on the off-chance there'll be games?

Uisce

Will there be any clarity given on when these matches can go ahead? Is the end of the inter county season as a whole or just when Laois are knocked out as I see conflicting reports?

Extremely unfair on all clubs still involved to have no idea when they will be playing again.

Giovanni

Quote from: burdizzo on October 05, 2020, 07:55:40 PM
I know. There was no stopping the Dublin games when they were 'lock-down', was there?

This is a very good point. I know the situation is unprecedented but this kind of thing is very hard to take when there are inconsistencies like the ones you've mentioned above.

Downtheroad

Quote from: Giovanni on October 06, 2020, 10:06:33 AM

This is a very good point. I know the situation is unprecedented but this kind of thing is very hard to take when there are inconsistencies like the ones you've mentioned above.
The scenes from around the country at the weekend were a disgrace. GAA HQ had to act if they wanted to maintain any semblance of credibility. It looked like there was at least 400 in the stand at one match which showed a blatant disregard for the rules.   

SCFC

Quote from: Downtheroad on October 06, 2020, 12:51:53 PM

The scenes from around the country at the weekend were a disgrace. GAA HQ had to act if they wanted to maintain any semblance of credibility. It looked like there was at least 400 in the stand at one match which showed a blatant disregard for the rules.   

Completely agree. There must have been 500 at the Meath football final. And then the Blackrock parade didn't help at all. Some people just have to take a mile when they're given an inch.

ottoman

Quote from: SCFC on October 06, 2020, 01:07:46 PM
Quote from: Downtheroad on October 06, 2020, 12:51:53 PM

Completely agree. There must have been 500 at the Meath football final. And then the Blackrock parade didn't help at all. Some people just have to take a mile when they're given an inch.

The Meath county final was ridiculous. There was well over 500 people at that and it live for all to see on TV. You could see this coming, scenes were getting worse week by week as the county finals were been played out in each county...

merman

Dublin game confirmed for Croke Park. I'll make a stab at predicting a team based off who I think is in training and who I thought showed well during the club championship.

1. E Rowland - Obvious choice. Captain.
2. D Hartnett - Admittedly, I didn't see him hurl this year but he's a class act.
3. M Whelan - Still a crucial member of our defence.
4. D Conway - Most improved hurler in Laois.
5. J Kelly - Don't think he was at his best for RE but has credit in the bank.
6. P Delaney - Matthew's heir apparent.
7. L Cleere - Another good year having recovered from illness.
8. J Lennon - Class act.
9. S Downey - Great athleticism and power. Good to have him back.
10. P Purcell - Crucial to our hopes.
11. R King - I think he's the man to fill Mark Kavanagh's #11 shirt.
12. C Stapleton - Has had a great year with BK.
13. W Dunphy - Great year last year and has looked sharp this.
14. S Maher - Looks to have his confidence back.
15. A Duphy - Probably my favourite Laois attacker.

F Fennell, R Mullaney, B Conroy, R Broderick, M Dowling, E Killeen and J Ryan all look like really good options and could easily start also.

marty34

Quote from: merman on October 14, 2020, 01:10:11 PM
Dublin game confirmed for Croke Park. I'll make a stab at predicting a team based off who I think is in training and who I thought showed well during the club championship.

1. E Rowland - Obvious choice. Captain.
2. D Hartnett - Admittedly, I didn't see him hurl this year but he's a class act.
3. M Whelan - Still a crucial member of our defence.
4. D Conway - Most improved hurler in Laois.
5. J Kelly - Don't think he was at his best for RE but has credit in the bank.
6. P Delaney - Matthew's heir apparent.
7. L Cleere - Another good year having recovered from illness.
8. J Lennon - Class act.
9. S Downey - Great athleticism and power. Good to have him back.
10. P Purcell - Crucial to our hopes.
11. R King - I think he's the man to fill Mark Kavanagh's #11 shirt.
12. C Stapleton - Has had a great year with BK.
13. W Dunphy - Great year last year and has looked sharp this.
14. S Maher - Looks to have his confidence back.
15. A Duphy - Probably my favourite Laois attacker.

F Fennell, R Mullaney, B Conroy, R Broderick, M Dowling, E Killeen and J Ryan all look like really good options and could easily start also.

Who's on the frees?

I think as we head into the heavy type weather, greasier ball and heavy pitches to a certain respect, free-taking will be crucial at this level.  They need to be on the top of their game i.e. 80-90% scoring rate.

It'll be very important, very similar with the football also.  It'll have a big impact on games and could be the difference.

merman

Roddy is an excellent free-taker.
I think he hit every free against Clough/Ballacolla in the 1st round.

He missed a couple against BK but he has the technique and temperament. I also don't think we have an alternative on the panel. I don't think Picky is as accomplished and neither PJ Scully nor Cha Dwyer are involved to the best of my knowledge.

The PRO

Laois Rising

I was wondering the same thing. Is Kavanagh's injury going to keep him out for the championship. Even greater reliance on having an accurate and consistent free taker in winter hurling.

burdizzo

What about Ciaran McEvoy from Portlaoise? He was shaping up well earlier in the season, I thought?
(Not for the frees, obviously, but maybe for a place in the half-back line.)