The DUP thread

Started by armaghniac, December 31, 2022, 05:22:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnycool

Quote from: general_lee on July 12, 2023, 10:15:12 AM
Quote from: Itchy on July 12, 2023, 09:42:09 AM
I see some lad fell down a right distance of one yesterday after lighting it, I would say he has a fair chance of being at his next bonfire paralysed in a wheelchair
Natural selection. Time they were banned.

One of MutantArds finest it seems fell quite a height too, he'll be lucky to walk again by the looks of it.

But sure the local RUFF/EB UVF or whoever oversees that particular bonfire in EA ground (it used to be a primary school) will see to it that he and his family are well looked after.

What I have noticed is this Flaggelation is a class thing, very few flags up in the "developments" in Newtownards or Holywood when I went through it the other day, it's just the sink estates like the Westwinds and the Bowtown Road (pronounced boot-on) where the fleggers seems to be their strongest.

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: johnnycool on July 12, 2023, 10:51:29 AM
I see some lad fell down a right distance of one yesterday after lighting it, I would say he has a fair chance of being at his next bonfire paralysed in a wheelchair

One of MutantArds finest it seems fell quite a height too, he'll be lucky to walk again by the looks of it.

But sure the local RUFF/EB UVF or whoever oversees that particular bonfire in EA ground (it used to be a primary school) will see to it that he and his family are well looked after.

What I have noticed is this Flaggelation is a class thing, very few flags up in the "developments" in Newtownards or Holywood when I went through it the other day, it's just the sink estates like the Westwinds and the Bowtown Road (pronounced boot-on) where the fleggers seems to be their strongest.
Who fell off the Ards bonfire? Was it the one in Bowtown?  I thought it had moved from a bonfire to a beacon some years ago. Send me a PM if you don't want to go public
Careful now

AustinPowers

https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/sammy-wilson-hails-craigyhill-bonfire-as-best-of-northern-ireland-in-parliamentary-motion/a1209824782.html

I think the bit that  stood  for me out was....

Mr Wilson said: "The efforts of the people in Craigyhill are an example of what is best in Northern Ireland.

Milltown Row2

Good soaking today for a change
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnnycool

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on July 12, 2023, 11:18:32 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on July 12, 2023, 10:51:29 AM

Who fell off the Ards bonfire? Was it the one in Bowtown?  I thought it had moved from a bonfire to a beacon some years ago. Send me a PM if you don't want to go public

The bonfire in question is the one in front of the firestation, used to be a Primary school so bonfires on that particular site are probably only 10 to 15 years into their tradition.

I'd say the knuckle draggers who attended this one are from the Movilla Road, Greenwell Street area, frequenters of the pub called "The Pub" in their glory.

93-DY-SAM

Only a matter of time before the lad that fell from the bonfire has a personal injury claim in against the council. The only good thing is he'll probably be represented by Donaghadee's finest QC so he hasn't a hope of winning.

imtommygunn

Tbh it seems like a miracle that more people aren't seriously hurt or killed at these things. Man dies in Larne so what do they do - build bigger. Ludicrous.

pbat

Once your man Steele's case come up and the family take a fortune of MEA council and the lad from last night sues Belfast council then you might see council's taking a stand on allowing there property been used.

MEA were to have an urgent behind closed doors meeting in May about bonfire's on their properties but it was adjourned to the autumn.

Would cooperate manslaughter laws apply against the council in the Steele's case?

Jell 0 Biafra

what would be the basis of any lawsuits against local councils?  Are they supposed to prevent this sort of thing?

AustinPowers

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 12, 2023, 06:06:58 PM
Tbh it seems like a miracle that more people aren't seriously hurt or killed at these things. Man dies in Larne so what do they do - build bigger. Ludicrous.

Yeah , it's madness . Then you get big Sammy  bringing it up in parliament , which just  ratchets the thing up a peg or ten

Seen that video  with the fella falling last night. I'm sure  it's a broken leg (or two) at best.  Feck knows what injuries he has , or how he'll be left after this . Would be  interesting to get his views on bonfires when  he  recovers , and if it was all worth it

general_lee

Quote from: AustinPowers on July 12, 2023, 10:13:14 PM

Yeah , it's madness . Then you get big Sammy  bringing it up in parliament , which just  ratchets the thing up a peg or ten

Seen that video  with the fella falling last night. I'm sure  it's a broken leg (or two) at best.  Feck knows what injuries he has , or how he'll be left after this . Would be  interesting to get his views on bonfires when  he  recovers , and if it was all worth it
Broken ribs, hip etc nothing life threatening.
How exactly are councils liable? 

93-DY-SAM

Quote from: general_lee on July 12, 2023, 10:30:00 PM
Quote from: AustinPowers on July 12, 2023, 10:13:14 PM

Broken ribs, hip etc nothing life threatening.
How exactly are councils liable?

They wouldn't be. But that wouldn't stop some from trying.

screenexile

If it happens on council land are they not supposed to have the property in a safe condition to prevent injury?

Jell 0 Biafra

It probably was pretty safe until nutters started to build giant bonfires.

imtommygunn

Quote from: screenexile on July 12, 2023, 11:26:56 PM
If it happens on council land are they not supposed to have the property in a safe condition to prevent injury?

How do you make ground safe so someone falling 30 odd foot, or whatever it was, onto it doesn't hurt themselves?

The problem here is there would be significant "anti-social" things which would happen if councils prevented these scales of bonfires happening. The council(s) are damned if they do and damned if they don't.