The DUP thread

Started by armaghniac, December 31, 2022, 05:22:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Last Man

Everyone needs a tribe. I work with a lot of "PUL" people, some love the whole "carry on", others are embarrassed by it. The enthusiasts are not bad people but they enjoy the opportunity for a get- together and a bit of craic. Not saying for a minute there aren't bad actors involved but the same can also be said of our side. Humans are savages, thats how we got to be the apex predators.
Choose not to be paranoid/offended and the headers will lose their grip.

Snapchap

Quote from: 5times5times on July 10, 2023, 10:15:08 AM
Quote from: NAG1 on July 10, 2023, 09:31:15 AM
Quote from: Orior on July 10, 2023, 12:54:45 AM
There were also some Catholics at the Moygashel bonfire. They were Catholics from an integrated school but still claimed as a win by loyalists.

This always baffles me when they claim that Catholics/ Nationalists attend these bonfires etc.

No educated self respecting non-loyalist would put themselves in that position, to be at an event that is directly aimed hating on on that section of the community.

Pure unadulterated hate fests.
#

Just like the Westie's Feile, and usually the Wolfe Tones?
What a weird/silly post.

marty34

There were also some Catholics at the Moygashel bonfire. They were Catholics from an integrated school but still claimed as a win by loyalists.

This always baffles me when they claim that Catholics/ Nationalists attend these bonfires etc.

No educated self respecting non-loyalist would put themselves in that position, to be at an event that is directly aimed hating on on that section of the community.

#

Not sure what you're comparing here.

The Féile has been a brilliant addition to West Belfast.  It started for all the right reasons and cutting down on the anti-social behaviour etc.  A great initiative.

They have loads of debates, sport, talks and concerts etc. for everyone.

I don't think they burn union jacks or unionist election posters etc. at the Wolfe Tones concerts.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: marty34 on July 10, 2023, 11:17:19 AM

#

Not sure what you're comparing here.

The Féile has been a brilliant addition to West Belfast.  It started for all the right reasons and cutting down on the anti-social behaviour etc.  A great initiative.

They have loads of debates, sport, talks and concerts etc. for everyone.

I don't think they burn union jacks or unionist election posters etc. at the Wolfe Tones concerts.

Definitely improved from the Springhill days ;D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Wildweasel74

I was at one when I was 11, we stayed with a mixed family at Ballykeel. I remember when going out to play with the children they said don't tell them u surname or religion. Otherwise I be top spot on that Bonfire. Same family ended up getting fire bombed out of Ballykeel years later.

LC

Was up around the north coast at the weekend.....must a be a fair few neanderthals around Portrush as the place was full of flegs.  I can only presume that the people around Portstewart have a bit more cop on as thankfully it was not plastered in the same way. 

NAG1

Quote from: LC on July 11, 2023, 08:25:12 AM
Was up around the north coast at the weekend.....must a be a fair few neanderthals around Portrush as the place was full of flegs.  I can only presume that the people around Portstewart have a bit more cop on as thankfully it was not plastered in the same way.

The caravaners love it  ;D

It is a kip of a place especially over the summer months, shame really when it could be such a tourist attraction.

LC

Quote from: NAG1 on July 11, 2023, 08:44:02 AM

It is a kip of a place especially over the summer months, shame really when it could be such a tourist attraction.

You are 100% correct you can only imagine what bus loads of foreign tourists think of the likes of Bushmills when they drive through it around this time of year on their way to the Giants Causeway and it absolutely plastered with flags , red white and blue kerbs etc. 

marty34

Quote from: LC on July 11, 2023, 09:47:28 AM

You are 100% correct you can only imagine what bus loads of foreign tourists think of the likes of Bushmills when they drive through it around this time of year on their way to the Giants Causeway and it absolutely plastered with flags , red white and blue kerbs etc.

They probably think it's a festival of some sort.  They wouldn't know any difference.

imtommygunn

Portstewart is nice but a lot of the places up round the neck of woods are "fleggy" and I don't think would be voting yes in the united ireland vote... Same when you drive round the coast road from waterfoot to carrickfergus - lovely in so many places then you hit the flags everywhere. There's one wee place I think there are more union jacks than there are buildings in the village.

marty34

In mainly nationalist villages all over the north, there's always a few flags up at the 12 th (for 2/3 weeks) and, as an outsider, you'd think it's a majority unionist village/town whereas in fact, it could be up to 70% or 80% nationalist.

All about perception and I firmly believe, as a result of this, unionists can't see the demographics changing so quickly in certain villages and towns.

general_lee

I'd say the Scottish ones love it! I suppose if it's done "tastefully" (I use that term sparingly) it can't really do much harm. Different if they've been hanging rotten for the previous 6 months.

tbrick18

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 11, 2023, 09:57:29 AM
Portstewart is nice but a lot of the places up round the neck of woods are "fleggy" and I don't think would be voting yes in the united ireland vote... Same when you drive round the coast road from waterfoot to carrickfergus - lovely in so many places then you hit the flags everywhere. There's one wee place I think there are more union jacks than there are buildings in the village.

I think it's fair to say that Portstewart would have a more Catholic population than Portrush.
But even Portrush has mellowed out over the years. My mother had some relatives who lived in Portrush, all dead and gone now, but they never had any issues as far as I know. We've been to a couple of caravan sites in Portrush too, big on on a hill up behind the Lidl and it was full of kids in gaelic jersey's playing football with kids in rangers tops. They all just got on.
As much as a don't like the fleggers or marchers, there's plenty of middle of the road normal protestants in both Portrush and Portstewart who would not be involved in any of that, but as with most places here, the minority knuckle dragger element get their way.

I have to say I love the north coast and we're going up there for a week in August with the kids. Plenty of beaches, plenty of eating houses and is laid back enough.

LC

Quote from: general_lee on July 11, 2023, 10:02:51 AM

I'd say the Scottish ones love it! I suppose if it's done "tastefully" (I use that term sparingly) it can't really do much harm. Different if they've been hanging rotten for the previous 6 months.

Many years ago I worked in Ayr for a while.....yes definitely no surprise Johnny Adair relocated to here.......an absolute sh#t hole.

armaghniac

some guy on Slugger did the sums on the Craighyhill bonfire

I looked at the Craigiehill from an aerial photo and the outer ring of the lower half of the bonfire is made up of 6 rings of pallets the first ring being 24 pallets the last ring being four and the bonfire diameter reduces as it reaches its enormous height.

The height of the bonfire is 202 feet in old money, which is 61,650mm. A euro pallet is 144mm high so the bonfire has 423 rings of pallets.

So assuming rings of 24, 20, 16, 12, 8 and 4 pallets and following the ring profile reducing as the bonfire gets taller, this equates to approximately 27,000 pallets.

A euro pallet is 24kg, so this equates to a total tonnage of wood of 648 tonnes.

The amount of carbon emitted from burning 1 kilogram (kg) of wood can vary depending on the type of wood and the combustion conditions. However, on average, the carbon content of dry wood is roughly 50% by weight. This means that approximately 0.5 kg (or 500 grams) of carbon is released when 1 kg of wood is burned.

It's important to note that when wood is burned, not all of the carbon is released as carbon dioxide (CO2). Some of the carbon is converted into other compounds, such as carbon monoxide (CO) and particulate matter (soot). The efficiency of the combustion process, including factors like temperature and oxygen supply, also affects the emissions.

To estimate the amount of carbon dioxide specifically emitted from burning 1 kg of wood, we need to consider the stoichiometry of the combustion reaction. When wood burns completely, the reaction can be simplified as follows:

C6H12O6 + 6O2 → 6CO2 + 6H2O

This equation shows that for every 6 moles of oxygen (O2) consumed, 6 moles of carbon dioxide (CO2) are produced. Since the molar mass of carbon is 12 grams per mole and the molar mass of carbon dioxide is 44 grams per mole, we can calculate the amount of CO2 produced from the carbon in 1 kg of wood:

(0.5 kg carbon) × (44 g CO2 / 12 g carbon) = 1.83 kg CO2

The Craigiehill bonfire will emit approximately 1,185 tonnes of CO2 emissions during its short life.

Most of the pallets are painted, and the viewers of the bonfire and the local community can look forward to being exposed to the following pollutants:-

Nitrogen oxides (NOx): Nitrogen present in the air combines with oxygen during combustion to form nitrogen oxides. NOx emissions contribute to the formation of smog

Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs): Paints often contain VOCs, which are released as gases during combustion. VOCs can contribute to air pollution, smog formation, and have adverse health effects.

Hazardous Air Pollutants (HAPs): Some paints may contain hazardous substances such as lead, mercury, chromium, or other heavy metals. Burning painted wood can release these HAPs into the air, which pose health risks and environmental concerns.

Particulate Matter (PM): Burning painted wood can generate fine particulate matter, including soot and ash. These particles can contribute to air pollution and have adverse effects on respiratory health.

Toxic Gases: The combustion of painted wood can release toxic gases such as carbon monoxide (CO) and nitrogen oxides (NOx). sulphur dioxide (SO2). These gases are harmful to human health and contribute to air pollution.

A standard used Euro pallet costs £8.00 to £10.00 second hand, and all coloured pallets remain property of CHEP and therefore are stolen, so we are watching pallets with a conservative value of £250,000 being burned.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B