The DUP thread

Started by armaghniac, December 31, 2022, 05:22:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

full moon

Quote from: general_lee on July 07, 2023, 03:06:14 PM
Quote from: full moon on July 07, 2023, 02:26:31 PM
Do Alliance members/voters engage in the Order Order parades and stuff anymore? Or Ulster Rugby type followers. Much of it seems more loyalist and working class in nature?
Some of the rugby farmer types still love it. More and more people from a Unionist background are seeing it for the anachronistic shite that it is.

It's just sad and pathetic at this point, it just creates more hatred and the cycle continues.

It does seem like some more "educated" or upper class unionists/prods probably find it embarrassing.

pbat

Quote from: full moon on July 07, 2023, 09:24:03 PM
Quote from: general_lee on July 07, 2023, 04:39:51 PM
Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on July 07, 2023, 03:37:40 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on July 07, 2023, 03:24:08 PM
Do Alliance members/voters engage in the Order Order parades and stuff anymore? Or Ulster Rugby type followers. Much of it seems more loyalist and working class in nature?

The OO is different in character in country parts and in Belfast. In many country parts a few oul fellows get together a few times a year and in most cases do not cause any great trouble to anyone, not least because they have to live there all year round. in Belfast it lets the sectarian slums take over the main streets, but the educated classes have less and less to do with it.
Don't be fooled. Let's remember that those singing about Michaela McAreavey in that band hall were not from Belfast's slums but indeed from God fearing South Derry.
Yeah some places in Armagh are ferociously anti-Irish/Catholic. The area stretching from Portadown-Armagh-Markethill-Tandragee is fairly staunch.

There is a village called Richhill it's a stop on the Belfast-Cavan/Monaghan bus route. It's in that area I think?

It seemed like a staunch loyalist enclave, there was UVF flags on main Street I think and Soldier F. Not a place that seemed like stopping for a pint in lol
And Richhill would be quite an affluent village, a lot of police officers and solicitors/barristers live in it.

full moon

Quote from: pbat on July 07, 2023, 09:45:05 PM

The OO is different in character in country parts and in Belfast. In many country parts a few oul fellows get together a few times a year and in most cases do not cause any great trouble to anyone, not least because they have to live there all year round. in Belfast it lets the sectarian slums take over the main streets, but the educated classes have less and less to do with it.
Don't be fooled. Let's remember that those singing about Michaela McAreavey in that band hall were not from Belfast's slums but indeed from God fearing South Derry.
Yeah some places in Armagh are ferociously anti-Irish/Catholic. The area stretching from Portadown-Armagh-Markethill-Tandragee is fairly staunch.

There is a village called Richhill it's a stop on the Belfast-Cavan/Monaghan bus route. It's in that area I think?

It seemed like a staunch loyalist enclave, there was UVF flags on main Street I think and Soldier F. Not a place that seemed like stopping for a pint in lol
And Richhill would be quite an affluent village, a lot of police officers and solicitors/barristers live in it.

It seems like in even the most sectarian areas there are PSNI living there.

PMG1

Quote from: naka on July 07, 2023, 02:21:01 PM
Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on July 07, 2023, 01:50:57 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on July 07, 2023, 11:51:50 AM
Hopefully it's a sign that these sectarian hatefests are getting less popular.

This will lead to a bumper turn out this year and the fall away again next year. No one wants to walk 10 miles and listen to hymns anymore when you can stand, drink and piss in the street for the day!

It's basically turned into to a rave in Sandy row now. Which is the issue for the elders.
It's a day on the beer on sandy row
Similar to saint patricks day in the holy lands

Not much temperance and religious fervour
Had the pleasure of spending a 12th of July on the 10th floor of the city hospital tower block with the Mrs one year, Birds Eye view of Sandy Row. Pure piss session then at about 5 o'clock a crowd of lads (50 odd) came from Shaftesbury Square direction and an unreal riot started between them and the Sandy Row crowd, kicked absolute shite out of each other, bottles, sticks and everything. Went on for about 10 minutes before the cops intervened, at least 20 taken to hospital, started firing stuff at the ambulances too and one ambulance man got assaulted. It was class viewing, funny enough though not one mention of it on the news that evening

snoopdog

Plenty like thst on  both sides. The GAA gets them too when a county starts to go on a run. The part timers come out for the bus trip and drink and abuse the regulars and start fights.  We are no saints either.

ardtole

I thought Clones this year for the Down v Armagh game was very messy.

Armagh18

Not far from Markethill. Fairly staunch and bitter for the most part yeah!

armaghniac

Quote from: Armagh18 on July 08, 2023, 12:50:29 PM

Not far from Markethill. Fairly staunch and bitter for the most part yeah!

Not the famous Rian O'Neill, but Moneymore seems one place where people can tolerate each other.
https://twitter.com/RyanONeill07/status/1678106522503528449
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Wildweasel74

Windmill abu

I worked there for about 5 years. Last year travelling to work I saw Derry flags and Union Jacks flying together on the same lamp post. I didn't know if it was a (hopefully)more tolerant way of getting along. Or did neither side have a Tyrone flag to burn 😛
Never underestimate the power of complaining

Orior

There were also some Catholics at the Moygashel bonfire. They were Catholics from an integrated school but still claimed as a win by loyalists.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

NAG1

Quote from: Orior on July 10, 2023, 12:54:45 AM
There were also some Catholics at the Moygashel bonfire. They were Catholics from an integrated school but still claimed as a win by loyalists.

This always baffles me when they claim that Catholics/ Nationalists attend these bonfires etc.

No educated self respecting non-loyalist would put themselves in that position, to be at an event that is directly aimed hating on on that section of the community.

Pure unadulterated hate fests.

5times5times

Quote from: NAG1 on July 10, 2023, 09:31:15 AM

This always baffles me when they claim that Catholics/ Nationalists attend these bonfires etc.

No educated self respecting non-loyalist would put themselves in that position, to be at an event that is directly aimed hating on on that section of the community.

#

Just like the Westie's Feile, and usually the Wolfe Tones?

NAG1

Quote from: 5times5times on July 10, 2023, 10:15:08 AM
Quote from: NAG1 on July 10, 2023, 09:31:15 AM

#

Just like the Westie's Feile, and usually the Wolfe Tones?

While not a massive fan of the WT and definitely think it was time for the Feile to move on from this a few years ago, I don't see any comparison.

One is a sectarian hate fest aimed at the destruction of one side of the community, the other is one act at a week long music festival.

tbrick18

Don't let them impress you with those "facts".
Moygashel is one of the least tolerant areas in the north. Regularly have had signs up in the area about "foreigners" not being allowed. UVF, Para and Soldier F flags. The election centre used to be in a primary school at the periphery of moygashel and the locals used to stand at the gates with flags in hand intimidating one side of the community, until the electoral commission changed the location to the leisure centre. Subsequently we had the poor us being persecuted cries.
IF there were catholics for an integrated school at the bonfire (and that's a big IF), then I would suspect they are from those mixed marriages where the leaning is still towards the loyalist/unionist side. Knowing something about the ilk of some (not all) families in the integrated schools in that area, many are only there because its the closest school. The secondary doesnt require transfer tests for entry and the primary has plenty of families who are anything but integrated. It's one of my main issues with integrated education here actually, in my experience they are not particularly integrated in practice. I've heard kids being called fenian scum in an integrated ps for example and primarily all staff are from a loyalist/unionist background.