A United Ireland. Opening up the discussion.

Started by winghalfback, May 27, 2015, 03:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Well, they can control how many comes in, pass their own laws instead of being handed down laws by unelected bureaucrats in Europe, set it's own taxes. Being in the EU has affected wages, jobs and put pressure on housing, infrastructure, nhs, schools, manufacturing etc.

EU plans for an anthem, flag, president, etc is another thing that was ridding people of their identity and will continue to. Hopefully Brexit is the first dominoe to fall.

armaghniac

Quote from: BennyCake on October 22, 2017, 11:20:16 PM
Well, they can control how many comes in, pass their own laws instead of being handed down laws by unelected bureaucrats in Europe, set it's own taxes. Being in the EU has affected wages, jobs and put pressure on housing, infrastructure, nhs, schools, manufacturing etc.

You are reading too many second rate English newspapers.  You could say that the EU has affected wages by increasing them and provided business for manufacturing. The problems with the NHS, schools etc are down to the right wing British government, the EU is not stopping them investing in these things.

QuoteEU plans for an anthem, flag, president, etc is another thing that was ridding people of their identity and will continue to.

It is adding to people's identity. I am no less Irish than I was in 1973. Are you?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Applesisapples

There used to be an aul saying that the first thing on a Republican agenda was the split, ala Life of Brian. A UI will not be decided primarily on economic terms as for many it is an emotional ingrained position. Unionists are more united because they have only on position to defend, their place in the UK. But before we can go any where near a vote the nationalist parties need to come together and form a coherent view. In my view 50+1% won't work either there will need to be a transition with cash from the UK and EU and this will in all likelihood play out over a couple of decades at least.

johnneycool

EU plans for an anthem, flag, president, etc is another thing that was ridding people of their identity and will continue to. Hopefully Brexit is the first dominoe to fall.

Yip,
   Those big farmers in Antrim and Down feckin hate farm subsidies and that cheap labour that came in from Eastern Europe. They really really hated it.

The fishermen also hated these quotas but were also in receipt of subsidies and availing of cheap labour which they also  hated so much. They also hated exporting most of their fish to mainland Europe. That will become so much easier shortly.

Thankfully that will all come to an end with the advent of Brexit..................

screenexile

Current legislation in place means that Britain can control how many comes in the Government just chose not to!!

Eamonnca1

Quote from: armaghniac on October 22, 2017, 10:54:35 PM
reduced to BINO.

Even Urban Dictionary isn't helping me out here. What's BINO?

dec

Hound

Well, they can control how many comes in, pass their own laws instead of being handed down laws by unelected bureaucrats in Europe

It's funny this is a statement made by many pro-Brexiteers, yet the Tories haven't actually been able to find any "bad" laws among the ones handed down by EU, so are transposing every single one of them formally into UK law. They say they'll revisit them later, but that's bluster.

It's as if everyone has forgotten what a pain in the ass the UK was to the EU. Any new law they didn't like when it was being proposed they shot it down or amended so it was acceptable!

AQMP

Poll by Lucid Talk carried out at the end of last week.  Over 3,000 responses representing a weighted response of 2,080.

Figures rounded up a wee bit:

Do you think there should be a border poll?

Yes, Within 5 years - 47%
Yes, between 5 and 10 years - 15%
Yes, but more than 10 years from now - 17%
Never - 18%
D/K - 3%

What should be the winning measurement?:

50% + 1 - 54%

If there was a border poll tomorrow how would you vote?

Remain (part of UK) - 55%
Leave (United Ireland) - 34%
D/K - 10%
Wouldn't Vote - 1%

If Brexit goes tits up (paraphrase!):

Remain (part of UK) - 54%
Leave (United Ireland) - 46%

Excludes D/K and non voters.

illdecide

I haven't been involved in the debates and i'm certainly not going to read back over 100 pages so if this has already been discussed "Sorry".

Is there a possibility that the Government can ask for another referendum on Brexit as i believe if there was another one the vote would be a lot different that last May/June, the only reason i'm asking is the vote here for politicians was done and then 6 months later another one was called. I know an election and referendum are different but don't know if another one can be called?
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

armaghniac

Quote from: AQMP on October 25, 2017, 12:24:25 PM

D/K - 10%
Wouldn't Vote - 1%

I presume there is still a few percent of D/K in the last figure.
What the last figures show is that there is a few percent of the Remain who will switch to Leave if the circumstances are right, and probably a much bigger proportion of D/K who are influenced by the exact proposition put forward.

Brexit will probably not go entirely "tits up" but will rather provide a medium-term problem, meaning that there will be a few percent of people thinking about things over the next while. The problem is there does not seem to be any NI nationalist politician with any capacity to lead in these circumstances.

Quote from: illdecide on October 25, 2017, 12:55:47 PM
Is there a possibility that the Government can ask for another referendum on Brexit as i believe if there was another one the vote would be a lot different that last May/June, the only reason i'm asking is the vote here for politicians was done and then 6 months later another one was called. I know an election and referendum are different but don't know if another one can be called?

Perhaps you need the Brexit thread. Of course, they can call another referendum, but they won't. Davis says today in that Westminister won't even get a vote on Brexit before they leave!! More likely the government could fall because of a backbench Tory revolt and there could be another Westminister election.

AQMP

Quote from: armaghniac on October 25, 2017, 12:58:12 PM
Quote from: AQMP on October 25, 2017, 12:24:25 PM

D/K - 10%
Wouldn't Vote - 1%

I presume there is still a few percent of D/K in the last figure.
What the last figures show is that there is a few percent of the Remain who will switch to Leave if the circumstances are right, and probably a much bigger proportion of D/K who are influenced by the exact proposition put forward.

Brexit will probably not go entirely "tits up" but will rather provide a medium-term problem, meaning that there will be a few percent of people thinking about things over the next while. The problem is there does not seem to be any NI nationalist politician with any capacity to lead in these circumstances.

Full results not published yet I took these from a radio interview with Lucid Talk.  I think he said the "swing voters" in the "Bad Brexit" scenario are some Alliance, Greens, PBP and some D/Ks etc

armaghniac

Quote from: AQMP on October 25, 2017, 01:04:23 PM
Full results not published yet I took these from a radio interview with Lucid Talk.  I think he said the "swing voters" in the "Bad Brexit" scenario are some Alliance, Greens, PBP etc

This is evident if you read Slugger.
A small number of UUs in areas where Alliance are not strong might be in this category also.

The question what constitutes a bad Brexit? A complete cockup with right wing Tories in power? This is possible but after the last election the people in England might rebel and put in Labour.

AQMP

Quote from: armaghniac on October 25, 2017, 01:07:19 PM
Full results not published yet I took these from a radio interview with Lucid Talk.  I think he said the "swing voters" in the "Bad Brexit" scenario are some Alliance, Greens, PBP etc

A small number of UUs in areas where Alliance are not strong might be in this category also.

The question what constitutes a bad Brexit?

Brexit ;)

armaghniac

Quote from: AQMP on October 25, 2017, 01:08:31 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on October 25, 2017, 01:07:19 PM

The question what constitutes a bad Brexit?

Brexit ;)

We have that word BINO again.