The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: punt kick on August 09, 2017, 11:46:50 AM
Quote from: Franko on August 09, 2017, 10:22:47 AM
So now the fat orange buffoon has pushed the whole world to the brink of nuclear war with Pyongyang.  Watching him sitting yesterday with the full pout and arms folded talking about "fire and fury" was f**king cringeworthy.

How did this absolute f**king IDIOT get to be the leader of the free world?

Fair play to him - should we let this nutjob arm himself to the teeth.

He IS armed to the teeth.

sid waddell

So now the fat orange buffoon has pushed the whole world to the brink of nuclear war with Pyongyang.  Watching him sitting yesterday with the full pout and arms folded talking about "fire and fury" was f**king cringeworthy.

Angela Merkel is the leader of the free world.

seafoid

Quote from: sid waddell on August 09, 2017, 12:35:25 PM

Angela Merkel is the leader of the free world.
In diplomatic terms the US has recused itself for 4 years. Trump is a f**king idiot. 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

stew

Quote from: CiKe on August 09, 2017, 06:38:45 AM
Quote from: stew on August 08, 2017, 11:57:16 AM
Trump has the stock market the highest it has ever been, more money is in my 401K than ever before, he scored a big win over N Korea in getting a billion tacked on to the already crippling sanctions, he even got the Chinese and the Russians to vote with him in a unanimous, historic decision.

The great state of Wisconsin has billions being added to its economy, not to mention thousands of jobs comma two car companies have decided they're coming to build vehicles in the States. The coal industry has got a shot in the arm and West Virginia miners are back at work doing what they do best, I could go on and on but the fact of the matter is the economy is in tremendous shap,  unemployment is at a low not seen in ages and there is confidence within the American consumer in Donald J Trump.

Emmanuel is going to bend over here after the courts get at him, he would be better served fixing the political corruption in his City, and maybe support the policing bodies on his city, oh wait.

Can't remember where I saw the article but the cars deal in Wisconsin and Walker came in for huge criticism. Supposedly is annual cash outlay and not tax rebate, the number of jobs created is unconfirmed and even if they were created, would be at cost of $1mn per job or something like that. Didn't sound like such a good deal for Wisconsinites who won't be working for these companies

Lolololololololollll
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

seafoid

Stephen Colbert‏
59% of Americans think Trump's presidency has been a failure. The other 41% still don't have twitter.

AZOffaly

Quote from: seafoid on August 09, 2017, 09:11:46 PM
Stephen Colbert‏
59% of Americans think Trump's presidency has been a failure. The other 41% still don't have twitter.

To be honest, Stephen Colbert, and all the other 'celebrity' commentators, are a big reason why Trump got elected in my view. They managed, via their smart arsed approach to his candidacy, to make him appear a picked upon and sympathetic figure. Why people should place value in who entertainers endorse has never made sense to me.  They'd have been better off shutting their gobs.

J70

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 10, 2017, 08:42:10 AM
Quote from: seafoid on August 09, 2017, 09:11:46 PM
Stephen Colbert‏

To be honest, Stephen Colbert, and all the other 'celebrity' commentators, are a big reason why Trump got elected in my view. They managed, via their smart arsed approach to his candidacy, to make him appear a picked upon and sympathetic figure. Why people should place value in who entertainers endorse has never made sense to me.  They'd have been better off shutting their gobs.

I've heard Trump called many things (most with justification), but "picked upon" and "sympathetic"??

Besides, do many people REALLY place much stock in what celebs say? And it's not like the right doesn't have their own celebrities coming out with all kinds of hyperbole about Democratic and liberal figures.

But, I will grant you, the paranoid, persecution complex is strong on the right in general, especially the christian element.

AZOffaly

I'm saying that to those people who voted for him, it would almost be a 'f**k you' vote to the likes of Colbert, who would be as far away from the right as you can get. The likes of well paid, cosseted,  celebrities, ranting against a man who was saying things that his voters wanted to hear (regardless of their truth) was always likely to be a red rag to a bull.

Don't get me wrong, I think Trump is a dangerous cretin, but America would have been better served if lads like Colbert pulled his horns in a bit.

J70

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 10, 2017, 11:39:00 AM
I'm saying that to those people who voted for him, it would almost be a 'f**k you' vote to the likes of Colbert, who would be as far away from the right as you can get. The likes of well paid, cosseted,  celebrities, ranting against a man who was saying things that his voters wanted to hear (regardless of their truth) was always likely to be a red rag to a bull.

Don't get me wrong, I think Trump is a dangerous cretin, but America would have been better served if lads like Colbert pulled his horns in a bit.

They're voting for and standing behind a man who has slandered and falsely demonized his way to the top of politics. You can go back to his cynical full page ad calling for the death penalty for the wrongly convicted Central Park Five, to launching his run for the White House based on spreading and hyping made up lies about Obama's birthplace, to questioning John McCain's undisputed war heroism, to the ridiculous allegations about Ted Cruz's father to most recently about Richard Blumenthal.

If Colbert or whoever legitimately making fun of Trump is a primary, or in any way significant, factor in their support for this freakshow, then they're beyond a joke themselves and people with whom common cause cannot be found.

AZOffaly

Will you stop. I'm agreeing with all that. What I'm saying is that by coming across as so smug and terribly smart, they are alienating people who then end up voting for the knob. Did you not learn anything from that last election? You have to play the electorate, you have to speak to them, not preach to them. Colbert and the other lads were preaching. Trump was speaking to them. He was talking absolute unmitigated bullshit, but he knew what he was doing.

J70

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 10, 2017, 11:57:24 AM
Will you stop. I'm agreeing with all that. What I'm saying is that by coming across as so smug and terribly smart, they are alienating people who then end up voting for the knob. Did you not learn anything from that last election? You have to play the electorate, you have to speak to them, not preach to them. Colbert and the other lads were preaching. Trump was speaking to them. He was talking absolute unmitigated bullshit, but he knew what he was doing.

Sorry, but I disagree. Making fun of politicians is part and parcel of life and has been for years and years. Anyone who is that resentful of "elites" that they would take such offense and vote purely out of spite was never going to not vote for Trump anyway. Comedy is a great way of shining a light on things. If someone wants to lie to themselves in the face of blatant evidence, whether delivered by a "smug" comedian or scientist or academic or journalist (but never right wing talking head or entertainer!), then they can't be reached anyway.

AZOffaly

I agree with that. I loved spitting image and scrap saturday etc. Satire is great. Some of this stuff was OTT though. They never left it alone. And I think one of the things is the humour also seemed to poke fun at those they thought were going to vote for him.

I think they genuinely thought he was a soft target, and that if they alienated his voters, so what? I think that materially affected the election.

If you think that voters weren't swayed towards Trump by the media and 'commentators' such as this, then a) I think you are wrong and b) If you are right, then America is truly fucked.

seafoid

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 10, 2017, 11:57:24 AM
Trump listened to them got elected and is now betraying them. It is very sad.