Robert Dunlop killed in North West 200

Started by ExiledGael, May 15, 2008, 10:29:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: ONeill on May 19, 2008, 12:06:45 AM
I disagree with anyone who calls for an end to this sport. People have a choice. It's a massively popular sport in certain parts and unless it's in your blood, you don't understand the the buzz/adrenline it gives the participants as well as their followers. Those who take part, and the relatives of, know the dangers - as do others involved in sports which involved high speed from skiing to horse racing.

I agree. I think anyone who would partake in such a sport is very, very foolish, but there is no law against being a fool!

Do these guys actually get insurance? I cannot imagine an insurance company who would want to cover someone for injury or even death in a sport as dangerous as road bike racing.

JimStynes

Very true o'neill. its easy to say if gaa had the same risks then i would give it up but impossible to know unless i was put in that position. Every sport with speed has dangers and people die from accidents but road racing just seems crazy. I would say all those riders at the north west will have known or been friends with someone who has died in road racing accidents. I found the following article about your man ryan fraquhar before Robert Dunlops accident

Ryan Farquhar has admitted he may consider his future in road racing at the end of this season in the wake of Martin Finnegan's death on Saturday.

"This could possibly be my last year in road racing. I'm not saying it will be but it is possible," he told the BBC.

"It could just as easily have been me that was killed on Saturday and I know it's not fair on my wife and child but it's like a drug and I love the sport.

"I have one major ambition left to fulfil, to win a major Superbike race."

"If I won a big bike race at some of the international meetings, that may influence my decision about the future."

Farquhar witnessed the crash in which Finnegan suffered fatal injuries at the Tandragee 100 and said he "felt sick at the time".

"You just have to try and carry on as normal but it is hard to get your head round it.

"We had a great race earlier in the day in the Open event and I think the feature race would have seen another great battle between the two of us, but it was not to be. It is all very sad.

"Martin knew the risks he was taking, as I do, but I just have to try and put it to the back of my mind and try and focus on the North West 200.

"I am expecting that I may get flashbacks of the crash whenever I get back on the bike but I will just see how it goes.

"Martin's passing is a big, big loss to the sport and I know he loved the sport, just like I do," added Farquhar.

turf123

Terribly sad news about Robert. I feel for his sister who has lost 2 of her brother and her first husband (Paul Robinson) in motor  biking accidents. I live in Portstewart myself and the buzz about the place every year is great for the town and although I am not a huge fan of bikes i enjoy the craic of the occassion. This death has certainly opened my eyes of the dangers of biking, however to call an end to it wont happen. There are too many bike fanatics around who would strongly object to it and too a lot of people the risk involved makes it more fun for them-an adrenalin rush. Was nice to see a minutes silence in a club match between ourselves and Lavey on Friday night.

RIP Robert and God bless your family and friends.

Ambrose

Remembering William Dunlop.

Family, friends and fellow riders reflect on the life of William Dunlop, one of Northern Ireland's best ever motorcycle road racers. The programme also features many of his most famous race victories.

Tonight, BBC1 10:35.
You can't live off history and tradition forever

Denn Forever

When did Michael, son of Robert, die?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

dec

Quote from: Denn Forever on May 15, 2019, 01:54:53 PM
When did Michael, son of Robert, die?

I assume that was a typo

It was William that died, Michael is racing this year despite getting injured in practice

https://www.bbc.com/sport/northern-ireland/48260499