Violence in Adult Club Football

Started by Jinxy, September 17, 2018, 09:54:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

In your county, has it:

Significantly increased in recent years
Significantly decreased in recent years
It's about the same

befair

Word is that Ballyholland + Downpatrick have been banned from next year's county championship. Cue the appeal and the lifting of the ban.....

Therealdonald

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 13, 2018, 11:40:21 AM
Quote from: JoG2 on October 13, 2018, 11:11:01 AM
Quote from: LeoMc on October 13, 2018, 09:27:56 AM
Quote from: Therealdonald on October 12, 2018, 07:38:09 PM
I just think we're going down a dangerous road with this nonsense. There will always be flare ups, when pride and passion are involved. Some posters on here reckon that involving police or heavier suspensions from the county boards will deter offenders. It won't. There is a life sentence in jail for murder....yet we still have murderers.

Police should never be involved with GAA business. Be it criminal or a slap during a game.  We talk about the dirty joe slap from behind? What about the late high elbow? Is this going to be assault? Or the clothesline tackle that we see more and more of? Once we have police involvement, then all of the above can be reported to the police. You're knickers are all in a twist.

It's club championship season, tempers run high. Consider that 200/300 years ago, the same parishes wouldve been fighting to the death in the name of sport.
So anything goes?
Judas hits are ok.
Kick a man on the head when he is down?
Draw a hurl on a man from behind?
If the Ref misses it you are grand to go on.

Careful now, therealdougal sounds like a tough brut!

I doubt he even played, or at best played the Z team/ beer belly team.

Ah now MR row, we eat townies like you with your soft attitudes for breakfast.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Therealdonald on October 16, 2018, 08:57:03 PM
I just think we're going down a dangerous road with this nonsense. There will always be flare ups, when pride and passion are involved. Some posters on here reckon that involving police or heavier suspensions from the county boards will deter offenders. It won't. There is a life sentence in jail for murder....yet we still have murderers.

Police should never be involved with GAA business. Be it criminal or a slap during a game.  We talk about the dirty joe slap from behind? What about the late high elbow? Is this going to be assault? Or the clothesline tackle that we see more and more of? Once we have police involvement, then all of the above can be reported to the police. You're knickers are all in a twist.

It's club championship season, tempers run high. Consider that 200/300 years ago, the same parishes wouldve been fighting to the death in the name of sport.
So anything goes?
Judas hits are ok.

Aye proper softies here in Milltown  ::)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Therealdonald

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 16, 2018, 10:42:12 PM

So anything goes?
Judas hits are ok.

I'm just glad all the crying has died down. Cavanagh was an accident.  And it's a well known fact that if it wasn't for blow-ins from the country ye would have no medals down in Milltown.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Therealdonald on October 16, 2018, 11:56:43 PM

So anything goes?
Judas hits are ok.

I'm just glad all the crying has died down. Cavanagh was an accident.  And it's a well known fact that if it wasn't for blow-ins from the country ye would have no medals down in Milltown.

Course, you'd think we'd 15 blow in ya wally! You again show yourself to be a dafty never mind what I suspect, just a barfly. I doubt you owned a pair of boots too  ;D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Kickham csc

Quote from: befair on October 16, 2018, 06:37:54 PM
Word is that Ballyholland + Downpatrick have been banned from next year's county championship. Cue the appeal and the lifting of the ban.....

Absolutely.

Two clubs fight in a league match....but get suspended in the following years championship. Two completely different competitions, so how can you get punished in the different competition. Defies logic if you ask me. The GAA have left themselves wide open for appeal.

Surely, a massive points deduction or automatic relegation to the lower division would be a more appropriate action.

Or suspension from all senior activity for the following year.

themac_23

Quote from: Kickham csc on October 17, 2018, 11:47:08 AM
Quote from: befair on October 16, 2018, 06:37:54 PM

Absolutely.

Two clubs fight in a league match....but get suspended in the following years championship. Two completely different competitions, so how can you get punished in the different competition. Defies logic if you ask me. The GAA have left themselves wide open for appeal.

Surely, a massive points deduction or automatic relegation to the lower division would be a more appropriate action.

Or suspension from all senior activity for the following year.

probably intentionally left themselves open for appeal, make a big statement seemingly coming down hard, gets overturned county board say they tried to be hard but their hands are tied, clubs get to play championship everybody is happy

Insane Bolt

Don't understand how they can't issue suspensions based on the video evidence. They have the team sheets so identifying the culprits shouldn't be a problem.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: Insane Bolt on October 17, 2018, 12:33:28 PM
Don't understand how they can't issue suspensions based on the video evidence. They have the team sheets so identifying the culprits shouldn't be a problem.

Big individual punishments have reportedly been meted out as well.

trailer

Unless there is an official video that we haven't seen?

Taylor

Quote from: trailer on October 17, 2018, 01:14:42 PM

Doesnt have to be an official video?

twohands!!!

Quote from: Taylor on October 17, 2018, 01:21:19 PM
Quote from: trailer on October 17, 2018, 01:14:42 PM

Doesnt have to be an official video?

The most relevant bit from the Disciplinary Handbook relating to video evidence is as follows.

There is nothing here about it having to be official video or nothing stating that video from a phone is inadmissable.

QuoteReferees' Reports: One of the principal exceptions to the general preference for oral evidence is the Referee's Report.
The Referee's Report (including any Clarification) is proof of what it says except where "unedited video evidence or other compelling evidence" shows that the Referee has made a
mistake. There is no special manner by which video evidence should be shown. The video can be slowed down, speeded up and so on, as long as it is not altered. Whoever is introducing it in must
provide the other side with a copy of the tape/DVD in advance of the Hearing so that they have a chance of viewing it.

http://res.cloudinary.com/dvrbaruzq/image/upload/k3kikyleirbkigikn7xi.pdf

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of footage of misbehaviour at games, especially from someone's phone, just doesn't get officially seen by the disciplinary powers-that-be, particularly in the case of a melee, where it would probably lead to an increased number of players punished.

Maybe the GAA should start to offer a bounty for footage of players/teams misbehaving?  :P

befair

On reflection, the ban fro next year's championship is quite lenient. Neither team would be serious contenders, nor be expected to progress far. With the back door, it's a loss of 2-3 games at most

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: befair on October 17, 2018, 03:32:03 PM
On reflection, the ban fro next year's championship is quite lenient. Neither team would be serious contenders, nor be expected to progress far. With the back door, it's a loss of 2-3 games at most

There was a rumour floating around at one stage they were going to get a full senior team ban from league and everything. Probably thought it wouldn't stick though

Therealdonald

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 17, 2018, 08:02:20 AM
Quote from: Therealdonald on October 16, 2018, 11:56:43 PM

So anything goes?
Judas hits are ok.

Course, you'd think we'd 15 blow in ya wally! You again show yourself to be a dafty never mind what I suspect, just a barfly. I doubt you owned a pair of boots too  ;D

Sorry MR2, but I'd safely say that if we were to hire a cleaner to dust down each others medal collection, yours would  be finished for 10 o'clock tea.