Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

Still signings required. Before Zlatan got injured we needed a new striker, we now have lost him and Rooney. We obviously need steel in the DFM position too. Hoping that Martial kicks on this season though and Rashford continues to impress. Mkhitaryan needs to improve significantly too.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

dclane

Quote from: under the bar on July 06, 2017, 03:52:23 PM
Quote from: DuffleKing on July 06, 2017, 12:13:22 PM

This signing would imply that Chelsea have passed on him and have someone better lined up.

Perhaps Lukaku just preferred a move to a big club?
Looks like Morata preferred a move to a big club  ;D

Maroon Manc

Well the fat man has finally gone and he has the cheek to question the standards of the players who've come into the club. Rooney was one of the most unprofessional players the club has had the last ten years.

Happy we bought Lukaku, not seen enough of Moratta and Lukaku has more pace and there should be no settling in period.

Mourinho saying United might only buy one more player, think he's just putting pressure on Woodward to get the deals done. I'm shocked that we're not in for a left back, its arguably our weakest position and Shaw & Rojo are both out injured for a while.

lurganblue

Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 20, 2017, 12:12:12 PM
Well the fat man has finally gone and he has the cheek to question the standards of the players who've come into the club. Rooney was one of the most unprofessional players the club has had the last ten years.

Happy we bought Lukaku, not seen enough of Moratta and Lukaku has more pace and there should be no settling in period.

Mourinho saying United might only buy one more player, think he's just putting pressure on Woodward to get the deals done. I'm shocked that we're not in for a left back, its arguably our weakest position and Shaw & Rojo are both out injured for a while.

What is Utd's 1st choice back 4 likely to be? Valencia bailly lindelof Blind? amazed a left back wasnt top of the list

Fuzzman

It will be interesting to see how Lukaku does for Utd.
I've watched him for the past 4 years at Everton and he can be the most frustrating of players at times yet he will still score you 15-20 goals a season if he gets the right supply.
As MM mentioned above, he really does have great pace and strength which he doesn't always use.
Don't expect him to be winning loads of headers from long balls or to be holding the ball up well for others.
He is very good at running with the ball at his feet though and barging his way through to score a goal from nothing.

I would imagine a lot of fans will not like him yet he will still score ye 20 goals this season. For me the question is though will Mourinho be able to get the best out of him and not get annoyed with his lazy attitude at times.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: lurganblue on July 20, 2017, 12:22:41 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 20, 2017, 12:12:12 PM

What is Utd's 1st choice back 4 likely to be? Valencia bailly lindelof Blind? amazed a left back wasnt top of the list

Perhaps Darmian in for Blind, either way can't pretend I'm a fan of them.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 20, 2017, 12:23:40 PM
I've watched him for the past 4 years at Everton and he can be the most frustrating of players at times yet he will still score you 15-20 goals a season if he gets the right supply.
As MM mentioned above, he really does have great pace and strength which he doesn't always use.
Don't expect him to be winning loads of headers from long balls or to be holding the ball up well for others.
He is very good at running with the ball at his feet though and barging his way through to score a goal from nothing.

I would imagine a lot of fans will not like him yet he will still score ye 20 goals this season. For me the question is though will Mourinho be able to get the best out of him and not get annoyed with his lazy attitude at times.

I'm hoping Mourinho can get more out of him in terns of his build up play, he should offer more given his size as he's a giant of a man.  He's a good finisher who will scores goals with both feet. I think he's capable of scoring 30 + in all competition.

Its his pace which excites me most though, too often last season we didn't have that out ball over the top although Zlatan was a different sort of out ball given his size and control of the ball.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 20, 2017, 12:31:23 PM

I'm hoping Mourinho can get more out of him in terns of his build up play, he should offer more given his size as he's a giant of a man.  He's a good finisher who will scores goals with both feet. I think he's capable of scoring 30 + in all competition.

Its his pace which excites me most though, too often last season we didn't have that out ball over the top although Zlatan was a different sort of out ball given his size and control of the ball.

I agree and there's no doubt Jose will be looking for this. Mata, Mkhitaryan and Carrick well able to slip balls through.....think it might keep defences more honest against United and provide more space for others. The potential is significant, hopefully he can develop to the level we think he might.

nrico2006

Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 20, 2017, 12:31:23 PM

Its the pace of Lukaku that excites me too.  I know it was only LA, but there was clear difference in Pogba's intent every time he got the ball with Lukaku ahead of him.  He was constantly looking for balls in behind or over the top of the defence as he knows he has a man who will get them.  Really would like to see us get a top midfield ball winner. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Syferus

Is Lukaku going to be any better than Zlatan was last year? If anything it's likely he'll be doing well to match his contributions. I really don't see much to be getting excited about when all they've done is downgrade up front and added a center half that was signposted since January, defense was hardly the team's problem last year. Eric fúckin' Dier, a lad who isn't a first choice midfielder for Spurs is the answer in the middle? Ed Woodward and Jose must be smoking some strong ganja..

dclane

Quote from: Syferus on July 20, 2017, 03:17:52 PM
Is Lukaku going to be any better than Zlatan was last year? If anything it's likely he'll be doing well to match his contributions. I really don't see much to be getting excited about when all they've done is downgrade up front and added a center half that was signposted since January, defense was hardly the team's problem last year. Eric fúckin' Dier, a lad who isn't a first choice midfielder for Spurs is the answer in the middle? Ed Woodward and Jose must be smoking some strong ganja..
I can see why Morata turned them down in favour of Chelsea.

Boycey

Your view is a bit simplistic Zlatan was brought in last year as a short term fix as neither Martial or Rashford were ready to lead the line (still aren't) and good and all as Zlatan was he was very static  and Utd as a result were regimented and easy to defend against. Lukaku mightn't perform as well as Zlatan but may allow 3 or 4 other United players to  flourish in ways they didn't last season. Dier and/or Matic aren't signings that set the heart racing but one of them, if that's who United are after, will release Pogba and Herrera up the field where they do better work. It's not always the 'sexy' signings that work out the best you know.

Syferus

Quote from: Boycey on July 20, 2017, 03:57:17 PM

Your view is a bit simplistic Zlatan was brought in last year as a short term fix as neither Martial or Rashford were ready to lead the line (still aren't) and good and all as Zlatan was he was very static  and Utd as a result were regimented and easy to defend against. Lukaku mightn't perform as well as Zlatan but may allow 3 or 4 other United players to  flourish in ways they didn't last season. Dier and/or Matic aren't signings that set the heart racing but one of them, if that's who United are after, will release Pogba and Herrera up the field where they do better work. It's not always the 'sexy' signings that work out the best you know.

I know, but I'd rate Matic far higher than Dier even though he's older. I think Chelsea would be mad to sell an important chess piece to one of their biggest rivals to be honest. Spurs would love United to overpay for a second string player, though.

magpie seanie

Heartened by reports of Lukaku and Rashford up front together last night. Think it's the way United need to go and did not expect Mourinho to entertain it.

stew

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 21, 2017, 08:06:28 AM
Heartened by reports of Lukaku and Rashford up front together last night. Think it's the way United need to go and did not expect Mourinho to entertain it.

This had to happen, United have pace to burn and for me are the team to beat in the EPL if they can keep their two main middle backs fit.

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.