Arlene's bigotry shines through

Started by StGallsGAA, February 14, 2018, 01:13:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HiMucker

Quote from: Rois on February 15, 2018, 03:30:07 PM
Quote from: hardstation on February 15, 2018, 03:19:17 PM

Rois, would your sister's school get many pupils from Irish medium primary schools? English doesn't seem to cause problems the same way maths does, certainly not initially. Pupils tend to find the terminology for maths difficult to learn, having never heard the word isosceles etc before.

Can understand that re: maths.  Not sure of the numbers these days and perhaps the growth and bedding in of the meanscoil in Belfast over the last couple of decades has meant fewer now attend, but she has certainly had a stream of such pupils over the years (she has been in OLSPK for 20 yrs now, give or take a maternity leave or 3).  We have had a number of discussions on this at different times (and not just about Irish speakers, but other bilingual students).
Getting off topic here, but would it be a case that the bilingual students pick up other languages easier at school?

haranguerer

http://eamonnmallie.com/2018/02/sinn-fein-dup-deal-crashed-eamonn-mallie/

The usual utter abdication of leadership within unionism

The last line is a load of absolute horseshit tho - it wasn't the unionist people who scared off the DUP

BennyCake

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on February 15, 2018, 02:16:17 PM
Quote from: stew on February 15, 2018, 09:59:36 AM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on February 15, 2018, 09:53:25 AM
to be honest I'm caring less and less about the north

its funny a load of people getting worked up about a dying language that most people cannot speak or understand

Whats funny is a fool who thinks his countrys Language is dying when in fact it is thriving, the Irish language will not die, it will continue to grow despite the apathy of west brits and unionists/loyalists.

I for one dont give a damn what you think of the north of Ireland, K?
touchy touchy

I teach Irish, I'm a fluent speaker and I can see it dying before my eyes in the likes of connemara, mayo, kerry gaeltachts

the gaelscoil movement is a giant fallacy
majority of kids who go to gaelscoils have no meanscoil to attend afterwards - complete waste
the literacy standards of children coming out of primary gaelscoils is significantly lower than English medium achools

then there is nowhere to actually use the language. where can you use it?

the main reason ye seem to be mad into it up north is because it makes ye different to the other crowd

I've heard some give out about no ILA even though they can't speak a word of Irish. It's all about attacking the DUP.

Slaughtneil seem to be doing things the right way. Only because of their onfield success have we probably become aware of their love of the language. Not sure if they have road signs or if they converse in Irish with each other all the time, but they obviously started with the love of it rather than learning it just to piss the other side off.

smelmoth

Quote from: armaghniac on February 15, 2018, 02:58:53 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on February 15, 2018, 02:49:22 PM
The majority of them do. The majority of unionist politicians do. But there is a powerful minority of voters that believe that they are as British as Finchley ( which they are) and that the people of Finchley care a jot about them (which they don't)

Finchley is actually in Britain, its people are intrinsically British and so the people in NI are not British in that way, however much they try to convince themselves.

I'm not claiming that everybody in NI is British but the people I was referring to undoubtedly are

smelmoth

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on February 15, 2018, 03:16:14 PM
The majority of them do. The majority of unionist politicians do. But there is a powerful minority of voters that believe that they are as British as Finchley ( which they are) and that the people of Finchley care a jot about them (which they don't)

Finchley is actually in Britain, its people are intrinsically British and so the people in NI are not British in that way, however much they try to convince themselves.

Correct the north of Ireland is not Part of GB

NI is not in GB. Nobody said it was. It is however in the U.K. If your from the UK, entitled to a Uk passport and want to call yourself British it would be hard to argue that your not

general_lee

Quote from: hardstation on February 15, 2018, 03:19:17 PM
Quote from: general_lee on February 15, 2018, 03:03:15 PM
Quote from: Rois on February 15, 2018, 02:27:08 PM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on February 15, 2018, 02:16:17 PM
the literacy standards of children coming out of primary gaelscoils is significantly lower than English medium achools

My sister teaches English in one of the top (east Belfast) grammar schools in the north, and said that whilst that may have been true in the past, she now sees negligible difference.
(Big caveat is that they only take top performers, so the population is skewed)
My experience of children taught through Irish medium is that they have a GCSE and A level by their 3rd year in secondary school
Which schools are putting kids through A Level Irish by 3rd year? That's not a great move IMO.
Why not? What use is putting them in a first year irish class which is of no benefit when they can go to a gcse/a-level class instead? It was the same for a student that had spent most of their childhood in France. An extra gcse/a level in French  with little to no effort

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: smelmoth on February 15, 2018, 04:00:17 PM

NI is not in GB. Nobody said it was. It is however in the U.K. If your from the UK, entitled to a Uk passport and want to call yourself British it would be hard to argue that your not

Front of a U K passport says Britain and Northern Ireland so no one over here is as British as Finchley
As for the U K bit, once the Brexit deals are implemented the UK is doomed but for the time being your right. ( ok honey)
The irony is given the subject at hand, Wales and Scotland have languages acts and they are British. We have dual citizenship and we can't have an Irish act. It's Crazy
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

smelmoth

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on February 15, 2018, 04:17:04 PM

Front of a U K passport says Britain and Northern Ireland so no one over here is as British as Finchley
As for the U K bit once the Brexit deals are implemented the UK is doomed but for the time being your right. ( ok honey)
The irony is given the subject at hand, Wales and Scotland have languages acts and they are British. We have dual citizenship and we can't have an Irish act. It's Crazy

You do know that British doesn't mean from Great Britain?

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: smelmoth on February 15, 2018, 04:18:49 PM

As for the U K bit once the Brexit deals are implemented the UK is doomed but for the time being your right. ( ok honey)

Yeah one is inclusive of Wales and England only but anyone that highlights that is nitpicking in the context of most conservation
I also know that the the Union Jack can be flown upside down
I always check them when passing areas they are flown
But you know it's doesnt really matter i get what there trying to say
Not much point in getting anal about the whole thing is there

red hander

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on February 15, 2018, 09:51:29 AM
Quote from: johnneycool on February 15, 2018, 09:48:17 AM
Quote from: haranguerer on February 15, 2018, 09:09:45 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-43069450

Just on equality, noteworthy that every time there are articles like this on the BBC, there are two unionist viewpoints given (Beltel and Newsletter) v 1 nationalist viewpoint (IN). BBCNI is supposed to represent the people here - yet their analysis articles are regularly skewed and propogate the notion that nationalism is being unreasonable. Part of the problem...

You gotta love the Newsletter;

"The divorce is a "grim milestone for Northern Ireland", it says, but a "necessary" one.

Sinn Féin has "greatly destabilised" the region and "fuelled grievance among young nationalists".

The newspaper accuses republicans of hypocrisy, saying: "[They] hound Arlene Foster no matter what she says, yet behave in a far more disrespectful way than Mrs Foster has ever done.""

Never expect anything of a pig but a grunt

Ah, the North Down bigot Ben Lowry. He was on Talkback this morning and he flat out blamed the Shinners alone for the state of the health service. Maybe William Crawley will get round to asking this little oxygen thief why he left - or should that be why he was asked to leave - the Belfast Telegraph...

haranguerer

Heard that - he came across like a right p***k

You should let us all know - pm me if you cant broadcast it

michaelg

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on February 15, 2018, 04:30:30 PM

Yeah one is inclusive of Wales and England only but anyone that highlights that is nitpicking in the context of most conservation
From the man previously "getting anal about the whole thing".

smelmoth

During that belated confession you do realise you were still typing??

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: michaelg on February 15, 2018, 05:52:32 PM

From the man previously "getting anal about the whole thing".

Yeah fight fire with fire

The different between Great Britain and Britain FFs

Minder

So there was agreement on ILA but not SSM according to McDonald
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"