2018 National Football League Division 4

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, October 14, 2017, 11:40:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Draper

Quote from: High Fielder on January 24, 2018, 02:02:41 PM
You started off saying a Junior team was a good idea. Now you're not so sure. You'd argue with your own shadow
A junior team IS a good idea. Its just not the solution to any real problem. You think it's the silver bullet. You think every county that passed us out is because they have junior teams. I simply proved it wasn't. Fine, it couldn't do any harm. But, if we lose the first round, the players will still be back with their clubs, so it really won't take us anywhere tangible.
Tangible growth  will come from the players knuckling down and taking their own development into their own hands. If they require further and greater assistance, I firmly believe direction would be forthcoming from the management. But personal responsibility will go a long way.

High Fielder

I never argued that it was the panacea, just that it was a good idea. I've always thought it and always will. It makes no sense to have 41 players fighting for 15 places. You might as we let everyone in as discard 7 or 8.

Don Draper

Quote from: High Fielder on January 24, 2018, 02:14:34 PM
I never argued that it was the panacea, just that it was a good idea. I've always thought it and always will. It makes no sense to have 41 players fighting for 15 places. You might as we let everyone in as discard 7 or 8.
There's not 41, there's 35. Six players are currently injured, and replacements for them are required until they are fit and available to fight for their own place. And thats not counting Donie, who is weeks away from fitness.
Most counties will carry a panel of 30+.
You can't have everyone in there, and it does lads no favours to have them sitting on their holes, when they could be getting match practice with their clubs. Also its unfair to the clubs to have 50 players in a county panel. Also a 50 man county panel would be insane for any number of reasons.

High Fielder

Not if you had a Junior team. Just saying

Don Draper

Go sell crazy some place else, we're all stocked up here.

High Fielder

What's crazy about it? Most counties around us are doing it. If the numbers are there, it makes sense. If they weren't, it wouldn't.

Unlaoised

Looks like Begley Strong Donoher Timmons Lillis will all not make the team sunday.....

Add Quigley and O connor to that who are injured....Its going to be a very young side!
LAOIS ABÚ

les Antiques

Yes it certainly will be a different looking 15 . Can Munnelly starting with Glynn at full back and Timmons at centre back judging by training this week .

Laoiseabu

Would anyone on this forum have any idea how good Limerick or Waterford footballers would be ?

SCFC

Quote from: Unlaoised on January 24, 2018, 02:31:55 PM
Looks like Begley Strong Donoher Timmons Lillis will all not make the team sunday.....

Add Quigley and O connor to that who are injured....Its going to be a very young side!
are the first 5 injured? If not, why would he not use their experience?

oneflewoverthecuckoonest

how good are limerick footballers?

well in the munster championship last year, Limerick ran Clare to the pin of their collars, losing by one point....the same Clare team that travelled to Portlaois for the qualifiers and made a laugh of Laois.
9/2 Limerick for this game against a rebuilding Laois is an insult. I would happily take a one point win this minute and move on. We have got into a very bad habit of losing, these last two years and there is no guarantee we will snap out of it in division 4.

I think limerick plus 5 points with boyles is some bet.

Laoiseabu

Yeah but are Limerick not down a few guys this year ?

oneflewoverthecuckoonest

2 limerick veterans have retired...regular full back McCarthy and buckley who was a sub for most of last season. 14 of the 15 that started against clare in the championship in ennis are available for selection...in effect they have nearly a full squad at their disposal.

Laoiseabu

Is the Limerick centre back/ captain not on Army duties ?? Corbett I think?

justinn

Limerick manager Billy Lee has named a 33-man squad ahead of next Saturday's Allianz Football League Division 4 opener against Laois.

The panel shows a number of changes from last year with Monaleen's Donal O'Sullivan taking over the captaincy from Iain Corbett, who will miss the league due to a tour of duty with the Irish army in Lebanon. Sean O'Dea and Paul White are the vice-captains.

Limerick (Allianz Football League panel): Shane Doherty, David Connolly, Davy Lyons and Robbie Bourke (all Adare), Jim Lison, Tommy Griffin and Colm McSweeney (all Gerald Griffins), Daniel Daly, David Ward and Eoin Joy (all Fr Caseys), Donal O'Sullivan and Shane Cusack (both Monaleen), Paul White and Mickey Morrissey (both Rathkeale), Tony McCarthy and Peter Nash (both Kildimo-Pallaskenry), Garett Noonan and Cillian Fahy (both Dromcollogher-Broadford), Darragh Treacy and Sean McSweeney (both St Kierans), Patrick Begley and Killian Ryan (both Mungret), James Brouder (Mountcollins), Sean O'Dea (Kilteely-Dromkeen), Brian Fanning (Pallasgreen), Edward Sheehy (Granagh-Ballingarry), Josh Ryan (Oola), Seamus O'Carroll (Castleknock, Dublin), Jamie Lee (Newcastle West), Padraig Scanlon (Glin), Padraig De Bruin (Firies, Kerry), Danny Neville (Ballysteen), Kieran Daly (Na Piarsaigh).