Mayo Football and Hurling - Discussion pages

Started by stephenite, November 09, 2006, 11:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lar Naparka

"I think he (O'Mahony) will delay in telling us once again until St Brigids are knocked out."

I don't think that that is a runner....supposing Brigid's enjoy an extended run?
Wouldn't he have been better off, when first offered the job, to either decline there and then or to spell out his preconditions for accepting the position?
That way people would have respected his honesty and the focus would have shifted firmly onto the county board. Given the public clamour for his return he could have named his terms and the board would have been hard pressed to reject any of them.
The board has made it clear that he is the front runner and appears willing to meet him while he continues to put off meeting them face to face.
The excuse that he is too busy to sit down and talk the talk can't really be sustained when you consider the time he has had to spend with Connacht as well as Ballina, Ballagh and also with Brigid's.
It is fair to say that he knows the terms he needs in order to mix his football duties with his political ambitions. Couldn't he lay down his conditions and see what the board comes up with?
I know he has had troubled relations with the board in the past but hanging the officials out to dry is not very edifying either. It is beginning to look like he wants them to publicly come a-begging. If vindictiveness appears to be a reason for him delaying his decision he may very well face a backlash at the polls.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Barney

The soundings in todays Indo are not good. JOM is delaying again. Another week to make a decision! now quotes may be from local papers last week but it is shit or get off the pot time. If he wants it let him jump at it. My feeling is that either he is putting the County Board under pressure to ensure that he gets everything he wants when negotiating. He doesn't want to be hung out to dry like MM. On the other hand maybe he wants the County Board to pull the plug and look for somebody else. He won't be the fall guy and can go on his merry way and look after his doomed election bid?

QuoteJohn O'Mahony is very much the number one choice to take over from Mickey Moran, but isn't ready to make any announcement yet.

"It will be a week to ten days before I decide. There are various issues involved and they all need to be weighed up very carefully," said O'Mahony who is busy on the political front as he cranks up his bid to be elected as a Fine Gael TD in next year's General Election.

O'Mahony finds himself in an awkward position in Mayo. He is the natural choice to take over, but has to weigh up whether it's possible to combine an intense political campaign with a demanding job as team manager in a county that is desperate for an All-Ireland win.

"There's more to managing a team than turning up for training a few nights a week and running the sideline on a Sunday. It's virtually a full-time job nowadays," he said.

He is currently involved with St Brigid's, the Roscommon champions, who qualified for a Connacht final clash with Corofin by beating Crossmolina on Sunday.

Tubberman

While it's disappointing and frustrating to hear that it will be at least a week before JOM makes a decision, I think it will turn out to be worth it.
If JOM had no intention of taking this job, I'm sure he wouldn't be dragging it out like this; he would only be damaging his reputation further.
In my opinion, he is being very cautious for good reasons. He has been burnt by our co board before and has seen how they treated M&M this year. I'd imagine he is laying down his conditions in great detail to ensure the co board can't change tack and start bitching halfway through the year.
He knows the co board want him, and are under pressure from the Mayo public to get him; so this is the perfect opportunity to get his managerial setup exactly as he wants it.
If he gets what he wants, the wait will have been well worthwhile - be patient!  :)
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Barney

The latest from the Mayo News. Worrying that we cannot get a top quality minor manager. There is no way in the wide earthly world that Ivors should get another term. He has been a disaster. No players from the County Champions on the panel last year for a start! Stephenite, do you know anything about this Murphy man that is nominated.

QuoteNo news on manager

Mike Finnerty

THE saga regarding the next manager of the Mayo senior football team seems set to rumble on for at least another week as both the Mayo GAA Board and John O'Mahony remain tight-lipped about the current state of play.
A month has now passed since Mickey Moran stepped down from the position and John O'Mahony has been mulling over the vacant post in recent weeks. However, his involvement with Ballaghaderreen in both the drawn and replayed County Finals – allied to his role as an advisor with St Brigid's of Roscommon for last Sunday's Connacht semi-final with Crossmolina – have been cited as some of the reasons why he has not yet reached a decision.
Speaking to The Mayo News last night, Mayo GAA Secretary, Sean Feeney, would only confirm that O'Mahony had been offered the job and that the Board were awaiting his response. He refused to be drawn in relation to the issue of a time-frame for the situation to be resolved.
Feeney also explained that a date had not yet been finalised for the next meeting of the Mayo GAA Board. One of the reasons for this is to allow time for the Task Force Committee that was established to examine the thorny issue of club football fixtures to complete its proposals for 2007. These proposals will be unveiled to club delegates at the next board meeting.

MEANWHILE, at least four candidates have been nominated for the vacant post of Mayo minor manager. Eugene Ivers (manager of the last two years), Michael Moyles (Crossmolina), Barry Murphy (Ballina) and Ray Dempsey (Knockmore) have all been nominated with the deadline for inclusion in the race fast approaching.

ELSEWHERE, the Mayo Ladies GAA Board Chairman Bernard Comiskey has said that the process of finding the next manager of the Mayo Ladies senior football team is also still ongoing.
Charlie Lambert stepped down as manager earlier this month and since then the Executive of the County Board were empowered to appoint his successor. Former manager Finbarr Egan has submitted his name for the vacancy but Comiskey was unwilling to reveal any other names in the shake-up.
"We intend to talk to a few people this week. There are a few people we want to talk to, that is the position. There will certainly be no appointment this week. There are a few people who have come forward but I'm not at liberty to give their names," he revealed.

OkeyDoke

venter

Fair play to Cross for nominating Moylsie!

He must be the most sucessful mayo footballer of the last 50 years when you tally up all his medals. He's also got a year or two of coaching under his beltwith cross and Sligo freshers( i think). The next step would be management.

larry buaile

Mixer Moyles - the man was crazy coming on the last day for Cross!

Anyway fair play to him, sheer love of the game has him moving in to management. One to watch, he could be the new John Maughan! Tanned legs etc.

I suggest to him to go for manager of the mayo ladies team, but that could be dangerous. (i can picture his training regime!)

OkeyDoke

If Cross were to nominate anyone, i would have thought that it would be S Rochford. He has been selector for the last 2 years and it would seem natural progression.
He could then bring in Moyles under his wing as selector/coach to give him more experience

Barney

Whoever the new manager is will want to assess the panel available to him.Good article in the Mayo News by Edwin McGreal suggesting some options that could be looked at. Any views? Anyone missing from the list? There are a few strange choices - e.g. Tom Nallen, and a few obvious possibilities but nothing to suggest that the previous management were not utilising the talent at their disposal.

QuoteThe likely lads for Mayo

Edwin McGreal

ONE of the constant positives mentioned about the Mickey Moran regime was that everyone was given a shot. The trials held last November allowed those who wanted a showcase for their talents a suitable platform.
Those trials paved the way for Ballina's Ger Brady to have an impressive year for Mayo at centre-half forward. Ballaghaderreen's Barry Regan was brought back into the inter-county fold as well and looks like a player who is getting progressively better.
But a lot of talent can appear in 12 months. Many players who were at the trials last November have come on in leaps and bounds for their clubs this season while some of those who didn't – be it due to injury or an inability to put their name forward – may also now be in better positions.
And then, of course, there is the All-Ireland U21 team from last May. An unexpected but glorious national success has brought several more players into contention.
Outside of the 30 man Mayo championship squad from 2006, we assess 10 players whose merits are certainly worth consideration by the next Mayo manager. So, in no particular order, here are our ten to watch.

Mark Ronaldson
Shrule/Glencorrib
THE Shrule corner-forward is one some people might label as 'too small' but Ronaldson's superb form all year surely merits consideration. His movement on and off the ball is top-class and he could be an ideal man to bring on in a game that is stretched. Showed his value constantly for the Mayo U21's and is of age again this year.

Simon Cloherty
Parke
CLOHERTY never played Minor or U21 for Mayo but his form in those years wasn't far off a call-up and it has certainly increased since. Cloherty (24) is the one player Parke can never afford to be without. He has been their leading scorer now for over four years but can operate anywhere in the forward line. Strong, quick, accurate and possessing a good attitude, he is definitely deserving of a chance.
Stephen Drake
Ballaghaderreen
DRAKE was one of Ballaghaderreen's most impressive players this season and the 23 year old half-back performed superbly on Ciarán McDonald in the drawn final. His semi-final performance on Knockmore dangerman Aidan Kilcoyne was equally impressive and Drake has clearly 'muscled up' in the past few years. Played for Mayo in the All-Ireland U-21 final defeat to Armagh in 2004.

Seán Grimes
Ballinrobe
ALTHOUGH beset by injury this season, Grimes is another player very close to the mark. Extremely strong and very adept on the ball, the 26 year old is absolutely crucial to Ballinrobe's form. It may be said he lacks a burst of pace but Grimes, at club level certainly, is a player who can buy time for himself. Deserves another shot, possibly at wing-back.

Joe Keane
Crossmolina
THE Crossmolina full-forward has been one his side's most consistent performers all year with his ceaseless, yet inventive movement. Has been tried before, in 2003, and while Keane (29) is small in stature, his strength is surprising. In the form of his life and certainly worthy of another look.

Barry Kelly
Ballaghaderreen
THE rangy midfielder was so central to Ballagh's success this year. Athletic, a good fielder and a fine kicker of the ball, Kelly has plenty of good attributes. Missed out on the Mayo U-21 success this year because of college commitments but showed enough during the summer in top level club football to be worth a run-out.

Marty McNicholas
Breaffy
THE Breaffy forward (26) is one player who missed last year's trials due to injury after he tore his cruciate knee ligament last July for Mayo's qualifier against Cavan. Only returned to club action this July and there is no doubting that a good pre-season will bring him on further. His strength, scoring power and cuteness in attack could be very useful.

Mickey Mullins
Claremorris
THE roaming wing-forward is another player who would appear to be in the form of his life. His propensity in club football to get on the ball regularly makes him a key man for his club and his recent haul 1-8 (1-5 from play) against Moy Davitts in the league showed how he can find the target too.

David Prendergast
Tourmakeady
THE powerful wing-back has been one of the main reasons for Tourmak's success this year. Prendergast was a member of the Mayo U21 panel but didn't feature however he has since shown he can't have been far away. Built like his older brother Brendan, David's speedy bursts upfield mark him out from the crowd.

Ger Cafferkey
Ballina
THE Stephenites defender was hugely impressive at full-back for the Mayo Minors en route to their All-Ireland final appearance in 2005 and was also a major player for the U21s in their All-Ireland success. He is a quick full-back in the Kevin Cahill mode and many see him as the next Mayo number three. At 19, he may still be a year off senior inter-county but certainly as an exercise in development, Cafferkey's involvement next year couldn't but improve him.

Crossmolina's Tom Nallen, who is 32 next year, is a player who is also surely due another look. Tom Cunniffe (Castlebar), Conor Moran (Burrishoole), John Brogan (Knockmore), Seamus O'Shea (Breaffy), Paul Finnerty (Ballinrobe) and Alan Noone (Cill Chomain) are also players who consistently get the job done at club level and deserve a shot at the big time.

stephenite

Stephenite, do you know anything about this Murphy man that is nominated.

Do indeed, a Ballina legend, has been looking after teams in the Stephenites for manys a year now, would be a good option as he knows his football inside out. Would have played in goal for most of his career, he was the netminder for the Stephenites for the '96 County final when Pat McAneaney awarded Knockmore the County title a full week before the match was played.
He has looked after Ballina teams at all levels, and was manager of the invincibles that took 3 County Minor titles in a row a couple of years back, with players such as Pat Harte, Patrick Mchale, Martin Wynne and Stephen Hughes who have represented Mayo at some level and won All Ireland club medals

Dempsey was up for the job last season or the one before, but pulled out after several months shitein around from the County Board.

Moyles a bit young to be taking County minor teams in my opinion and while he could make it as a top class manager I'd give him a few years yet

Ivers has been there now for two years - don't know what his relationship is like with the County board at this stage, will be forever remembered for setting the world record for number of selectors on the sideline, counted about 13 of them one day ;)

stephenite

Someone on Mayofans.com has posted that the appointment of JOM has been ratified, with TJ KIlgannon and Tommy Lyons as selectors.
Will wait and see the confirmatuion obviously

Bod Mor

Quote from: stephenite on November 15, 2006, 02:11:19 AM
Someone on Mayofans.com has posted that the appointment of JOM has been ratified, with TJ KIlgannon and Tommy Lyons as selectors.
Will wait and see the confirmatuion obviously

Well if its true thats some line up, O"Mahony, Kilgallon and Lyons. I always said if we got O'Mahony as manager that would be the only good thing that could come out of the Moran and Morrison saga. Anything else would be unacceptable.
We still have to wait for confirmation but thats brightened up my day anyhow!!! fair play ;D

Someone said that even with O'Mahony in charge it could never guarantee us an all-Ireland, thats true but at least we would try knowing we had the right man in charge anyway. Thats not to say that what Moran & Morrison achieved was nothing short of exceptional.
Ó chuir mé 'mo cheann é ní stopfaidh mé choíche
Go seasfaidh mé thíos i lár Chondae Mhaigh Eo.

MacDanger

Would be a good line up alright. The post on mayofans wasn't exactly from an iron cast source but the poster there isn't one known for talking sh*te so probably on the mark.

Will be interesting to see how he gets on. Personally I think we need to give them time (3 years minimum) if they are to achieve the ultimate goal. It's very hard to change things like physique overnight but at least both O'Mahoney and Lyons have All-Ireland winning experience and as far as I know they're not carrying any baggage relating to any particular clubs/players.

Best of luck to them, roll on Championship '07 and to Pearse stadium.............

Barney

That would be a very good well respected set-up if confirmed. A big job ahead of them. Its still not two months since the AI (hard to believe I know) but still time to get down to work, clear the heads of that day and look forward again.

The term is the big question for me. A one year deal would be wrong. We don't want to be in the same position again this time next year. Whatever happens be it good or bad over the next 12 months continuity is required firstly. So I hope that clarification as to JOM's position if elected was sought.

Pietas

Power is very rarely limited to the pure exercise of brute force....Power is ...a far more complex and mysterious quality than any apparently simple manifestation of it would appear. It is as much a matter of impression, of theatre, of persuading those over whom authority is wielded to collude in their subjugation. Insofar as power is a matter of presentation, its cultural currency in antiquity (and still today) was the creation, manipulation, and display of images. In the propagation of the imperial office, at any rate, image is power.
In Roman mythology, Pietas was the goddess of duty to one's state, gods and family.