The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bannside

Trump has brought nothing but disrepute to the office. Con man from start to finish and if 75m people dont see that then they get/got exactly what they deserve. Almost single handedly dragged the US into world contempt. Some achievement alright!

J70

Quote from: five points on January 12, 2021, 05:37:06 PM
Quote from: J70 on January 12, 2021, 04:53:42 PM
You really do like to cherry pick a tiny detail and base your whole argument upon that, ignoring all other context and relevant detail.

I wasn't around in 1860, nor was I around in 1960.

I wasn't a Democrat back then, nor do I have any ancestral or philosophical connection to the "lost cause" or the old south.

I'm a Democrat today because I am politically liberal
The GOP, not so much... The GOP is the home of those who do NOT want to see the statues gone and the bases renamed. It is at their rallies and among their supporters that you see the flags, paraphernalia and racist rhetoric. It was THEY who courted and accommodated those conservative southern former Democrats and their counterparts from the rest of the country who do, for whatever reason, cherish the history of the confederacy and the Jim Crow south.

The Confederacy and the Civil War it provoked was never a tiny detail.

Biden's eulogy for a Southern Democrat apologist for both the confederacy and Jim Crow, only 17 years ago, was nothing if not an attempt to court and accommodate the many who venerated that creep. Your criticism of the GOP for doing the same is empty.

No, your attempt to equate the GOP's decades-long southern strategy with Biden, at the request of Thurmond himself, delivering a eulogy at a friends funeral, is empty and either ignorant or dishonest.

What possible purpose could it serve Biden, a centre-left long-term Senator from Delaware, beyond doing a favour for the family of a friend?

If politics was the issue, Biden was more likely to offend his liberal Democrat base than to win any votes among conservatives (who wouldn't be voting for him anyway!).

J70

Quote from: whitey on January 12, 2021, 05:56:49 PM
You really do like to cherry pick a tiny detail and base your whole argument upon that, ignoring all other context and relevant detail.

I wasn't a Democrat back then, nor do I have any ancestral or philosophical connection to the "lost cause" or the old south.

The GOP, not so much... The GOP is the home of those who do NOT want to see the statues gone and the bases renamed. It is at their rallies and among their supporters that you see the flags, paraphernalia and racist rhetoric. It was THEY who courted and accommodated those conservative southern former Democrats and their counterparts from the rest of the country who do, for whatever reason, cherish the history of the confederacy and the Jim Crow south.

Biden's eulogy for a Southern Democrat apologist for both the confederacy and Jim Crow, only 17 years ago, was nothing if not an attempt to court and accommodate the many who venerated that creep. Your criticism of the GOP for doing the same is empty.

It's called selective outrage

No, its right out of your own playbook of false equivalence.

whitey

Quote from: J70 on January 12, 2021, 06:37:32 PM
Quote from: whitey on January 12, 2021, 05:56:49 PM

It's called selective outrage

No, its right out of your own playbook of false equivalence.

Awomen

omochain

Quote from: five points on January 12, 2021, 04:18:34 PM
Quote from: J70 on January 12, 2021, 03:39:56 PM
Quote from: five points on January 12, 2021, 02:39:35 PM
Quote from: J70 on January 12, 2021, 01:41:20 PM
Quote from: five points on January 12, 2021, 01:25:34 PM
Quote from: J70 on January 12, 2021, 01:17:32 PM
How is any of that, including Biden giving the eulogy for a long time Senate colleague, relevant to the GOP's current status as the party of the confederacy?

Because your claim to that effect is bogus.

How?

Because the GOP is clearly not the party of the Confederacy.

That's not clear at all, especially since the Trump years began.

What is clear is that there are no confederate flags at Biden events, no tiki torches or Auschwitz sweatshirts, no rabble rousing about "erasing history" by renaming a school or base or relocating a statue.

The Confederacy was founded and sustained by Democrats and opposed by Republicans. Nothing that has happened in the past decade or any decade can rewrite the history of a century and a half previously, and even the history of Strom Thurmond's era.

No wonder you and the left in general want to dump all the historical evidence in school names, statues etc.

Five Points ...Do me the courtesy of reading this article. Admittedly not coming out of a stable in which you would park your horse but it might give you some perspective in how the Republican Party has evolved. https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/nov/04/the-american-civil-war-didnt-end-and-trump-is-a-confederate-president

Main Street

I read that the black Capital police officer who was  famously captured on video  tangling with and being chased up a couple of flights of stairs by a white supremacy mob,  was actually luring them away from the senate chamber into an opposite direction   He instinctively deployed the oldest trick in the 'how a black man can escape imminent white mob danger', as outlined in that famous Blazing Saddles sketch. The endangered black man has to throw the mob a bait which appeals to their white supremacy prejudices and their stupidity overwhelms any residues of rational appreciation of the situation,  allowing the black man to  not only single-handedly save democracy but also to live and fight another day.

sid waddell

How is any of that, including Biden giving the eulogy for a long time Senate colleague, relevant to the GOP's current status as the party of the confederacy?

How?

What is clear is that there are no confederate flags at Biden events, no tiki torches or Auschwitz sweatshirts, no rabble rousing about "erasing history" by renaming a school or base or relocating a statue.

The Confederacy was founded and sustained by Democrats and opposed by Republicans. Nothing that has happened in the past decade or any decade can rewrite the history of a century and a half previously, and even the history of Strom Thurmond's era.

No wonder you and the left in general want to dump all the historical evidence in school names, statues etc.
And now it is sustained by Republicans and fought bitterly against by Democrats

Your last sentence sort of gives the game away as to your views on the Confederacy

sid waddell

Quote from: omochain on January 12, 2021, 08:32:56 PM

How?

Five Points ...Do me the courtesy of reading this article. Admittedly not coming out of a stable in which you would park your horse but it might give you some perspective in how the Republican Party has evolved. https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/nov/04/the-american-civil-war-didnt-end-and-trump-is-a-confederate-president
You think he'd read an article like that? The common thing with all posters like him is their lack of reading and refusal to engage in any sort of thinking - it's a core tenet of their identity - if they actually read or listened a bit, they might find their views falling apart - and they can't have that

I read and watch a lot of right-wing stuff - it's unbelievably mind numbing - American conservatism is probably the most shallow intellectual environment anywhere in the world

omochain

Give him a chance... You never know ... Five points might read it. Lets see.
I would like to hear his views on the article

sid waddell

McConnell is said to be "pleased" with impeachment

McConnell is a horrible piece of work but he one thing he isn't is stupid - he is thinking of the future of the Republican party here

Think it's very likely Trump will be formally convicted and banned from running for office again - but it will definitely be after January 20th, I wouldn't be surprised if it's months

Which of course does not deal with the gravity of the situation

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/12/us/mcconnell-impeachment-trump-mc.html

whitey

Quote from: Main Street on January 12, 2021, 09:02:09 PM
I read that the black Capital police officer who was  famously captured on video  tangling with and being chased up a couple of flights of stairs by a white supremacy mob,  was actually luring them away from the senate chamber into an opposite direction   He instinctively deployed the oldest trick in the 'how a black man can escape imminent white mob danger', as outlined in that famous Blazing Saddles sketch. The endangered black man has to throw the mob a bait which appeals to their white supremacy prejudices and their stupidity overwhelms any residues of rational appreciation of the situation,  allowing the black man to  not only single-handedly save democracy but also to live and fight another day.

Nice story (if it's true)

Anything I see Shaun King pushing I'm automatically skeptical

DrinkingHarp

Quote from: whitey on January 12, 2021, 10:04:56 PM
Quote from: Main Street on January 12, 2021, 09:02:09 PM

Nice story (if it's true)

Anything I see Shaun King pushing I'm automatically skeptical

Not that hard to find on the internet:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/eugene-goodman-us-capitol-riots-police-officer-senate-chamber/

https://www.usatoday.com/videos/news/nation/2021/01/11/capitol-riots-officer-hailed-hero-drawing-mob-away-senate/6625175002/

And even a Fox affiliate
https://www.fox5dc.com/news/black-us-capitol-police-officer-hailed-as-hero-for-diverting-pro-trump-mob-during-riot
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

Main Street

Hmmm, even a fox affiliate, therefore it must be true. ;D

I think the police officer even allows himself a wry grin as he leads the mob astray.

sid waddell

Liz Cheney voting for impeachment

Within a week the whole of the Republican party will be claiming they opposed Trump all along

Eamonnca1

Quoth Fox News:

Newly elected Rep. Peter Meijer, R-Mich., said Monday that the president should resign and that he is "strongly considering" voting to impeach President Trump after the Capitol Hill riot last week.

Quoth CNN:

Republican Rep. John Katko of New York said in a statement Tuesday afternoon he will vote to impeach President Donald Trump, becoming the first Republican to sign on to the Democrats' effort to hold the President accountable for his role in spurring on his supporters in last week's storming of the US Capitol.