The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

Gmac thinks the object of the game was to duck the question, answer questions that weren't asked, and talk over the moderator for five minutes after your time is up. Of course he thinks Pence won.

I think Pence had a bug feeding him the answers into his ear.

Gmac

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on October 09, 2020, 12:12:47 AM
Gmac thinks the object of the game was to duck the question, answer questions that weren't asked, and talk over the moderator for five minutes after your time is up. Of course he thinks Pence won.

pence spoke for 35 minutes Harris spoke for 38 minutes ,for anyone who thinks  pence spoke over her and in her time .

omochain

Quote from: Gmac on October 09, 2020, 12:22:26 AM

pence spoke for 35 minutes Harris spoke for 38 minutes ,for anyone who thinks  pence spoke over her and in her time .

1. Where did you get those numbers? 

Gabriel_Hurl

omochain

Gmac .. your line that Harris spoke for more time than Pence is proof that he did not speak over her is ridiculous. It is also inaccurate.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/10/debate-mike-pence-kept-talking-video.html

RedHand88

Quote from: Gmac on October 09, 2020, 12:22:26 AM

If was the other way round. Pence 38 and Harris 35. I dont think he spoke over her though.

Hound

Quote from: Gmac on October 08, 2020, 11:44:46 PM
Quote from: Roesider on October 08, 2020, 11:39:55 PM
Only saw some parts of the vice-president debates but from the articles read it looks like Pense was lying through his teeth avoiding questions while Harris did a good job of covering all topics that he threw her way. A fair description?
where did you read that ? Pence won easily and Harris was the one lying even making up quotes for Abe Lincoln
Both of you are incorrect. 

As I said earlier, I though both performed well, both performed better than their running mates last week.

Pence was the consummate politician. Answered only what he wanted and did it in a very natural way that you might not even notice. Albeit, he avoided the actual question that often that anyone with even a moderate attention span would have noticed. It was interesting that neither Harris nor the moderator pulled him up on it, whereas the one question Harris wouldn't answer, Pence jumped on it and jumped on it again. 

The interruptions were in the normal category for a debate like this, nothing in the same league as the Donald. Pence interrupted more often for sure, but Harris never let him away with it and did well to shut him down each time. Pence did go over his allotted time more often and he spoke over the moderator a few times, which Harris rarely if ever did. That was definitely the worst part for Pence when he was just ignoring the moderator and continuing on - your point definitely gets a bit lost when that's happening.

Pence threw in a few compliments to Harris. Often 'very nice' before throwing in the dig. I think that's good debating strategy. In general, with the obvious exception of their differing political views, he reminds me very much of Biden.

Harris was the typical tough prosecutor. I think she was more nervous than Pence, but that dissipated quickly enough. I find her extremely impressive. Her interactions with the moderator were better than Pence's. I thought she was debating almost entirely against Trump rather than Pence. Clearly Trump is the main name on the ticket, but I would have mixed it up a little.  For example in relation to the military, I thought she could have acknowledged Pence's views and record as again being very similar to Biden's and that then could have allowed her to contrast even more sharply Trump's views/comments. But overall she'd have to be happy with her performance.

LCohen

Quote from: RedHand88 on October 08, 2020, 09:30:53 PM
Quote from: LCohen on October 08, 2020, 06:43:34 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on October 08, 2020, 06:24:04 PM
Quote from: Gmac on October 08, 2020, 02:31:04 AM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on October 08, 2020, 02:21:36 AM
Kamala Harris

"If Dr. Fauci and doctors say to take the vaccine, I'll be the first in line.

If president Trump says to take a vaccine, I will not do it."

;D
will she be responsible for millions of her whacked out supporters dying for not taking a vaccine ?

I was very surprised when I saw that. Think she's made a bit of a gaff with that comment.

If the medical worlds backs a vaccine the Harris backs it. How is that a gaffe?

You're completely ignoring the second half of her statement, which is where the problem lies. The president tells everyone to take a vaccine and she says no.
Why even push the idea not taking a vaccine? There's enough conspiracy theorist nuts out there who will latch onto it.

What I have completely not done is arrive at any conclusion that Harris would reject a properly approved vaccine because Trump happens to have also endorsed it.

Very clearly Harris is backing the proper process.

We should however just check in with the Republicans to ensure that they will only back a vaccine after it is appropriately approved and once a vaccine is properly approved they will automatically endorse it. While they are at they should clarify that their position on any vaccine is not linked to its timing relative to the election or indeed linked to the outcome of the election. The Democrats seem to a sound and stable position on this. Hopefully the Republicans catch up. Serious questions if they don't

Milltown Row2

Is this the most toxic thread on the board? I know we have a few ex pats living there and that's fine, but I fail to see the immediate interests of locals here on a country that really plays no large part in our political lives.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

J70

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on October 09, 2020, 01:05:15 PM
Meanwhile in Carrick...

Not surprising.

There's plenty of idealogical ties between some parts of unionism and the base of Trump's support, particularly on the religious side.

Don't forget Paisley was a friend of the odious Bob Jones, and was given an honourary doctorate from Bob Jones University (he never earned a real one, despite his use of the title).

J70

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 09, 2020, 01:03:36 PM
Is this the most toxic thread on the board? I know we have a few ex pats living there and that's fine, but I fail to see the immediate interests of locals here on a country that really plays no large part in our political lives.

So don't read it.

There's quite a few of us do live in the states, and like it or not, what happens in the US has repercussions well beyond its shores.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: J70 on October 09, 2020, 02:01:34 PM

So don't read it.

There's quite a few of us do live in the states, and like it or not, what happens in the US has repercussions well beyond its shores.

Don't read it could be applied for a lot of comments on other threads on the boards, but hey we have a look and a say anyway.. I've addressed the many ex pats that are on here but the toxic nature (as there is with a bit of your response ;)) of the thread is what i was hinting at, so if your are not going to give me a reason that's fine.

Also not everyone's lives depend on whos in the Whitehouse, really

LCohen

It is pretty toxic.

I am very definitely a liberal lefty. I can still see that some on my side of the debate go too far. I can also see that some are driven to it by Trump and his supporters who adopt the same tactics.

Some no doubt do it because they know it will get a reaction.

But genuinely I believe I can stand over my contention that the standard of debate and behaviour is infinitely worse on the right. That is the way the evidence stacks up anyhow