Will you get a Covid vaccine if one becomes available in 2021?

Started by Angelo, October 22, 2020, 10:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will you get a Covid vaccine if one becomes available in 2021?

Yes
122 (71.8%)
No
48 (28.2%)

Total Members Voted: 170

Seaney

Taylor

Quote from: Seaney on November 17, 2020, 03:33:48 PM
Quote from: Ed Ricketts on November 17, 2020, 03:14:11 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on November 17, 2020, 01:08:03 PM
It's actually getting to be quite impressive how Angelo can be bothered with all these rows on different threads on an internet forum. He is going to need to give a man a start or employ a secretary to keep up with it all. Serious effort.

It looks that way at first.

Then you realise that every post on a topic is just a clone of the previous one - Big Pharma! Big Pharma! Big Pharma!

Sometimes it seems like a standard trolling exercise, other times you'd worry about him.

He has a point though - some serious profiteering going on here.  Prof Ugur Sahin, BioNTech co-founder on the Andrew Marr show had no answer to how long immunity would last, or if it would stop transmission yet we have lads on here queuing up to get it.  One question no one is answering (maybe they did but I can't be arsed reading back through the pages I have missed)  is surely it is against the human rights of Care Home residents to have this forced upon them especially as the usual 10 year vaccine has been rushed through in 10 months, and if there is side effects and these poor souls die would anyone care, they seem to be collateral damage.

In the initial stages of the Pandemic the UK government saw them as collateral damage so I dobnt it would be any different

Jeepers Creepers

trueblue1234

Quote from: Angelo on November 17, 2020, 03:32:17 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on November 17, 2020, 02:53:59 PM
Quote from: Angelo on November 17, 2020, 02:14:56 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on November 17, 2020, 11:35:03 AM
Quote from: Angelo on November 17, 2020, 10:56:45 AM

The timeline is a massive worry
Previous vaccines and their side effects
The fact that big pharma is a dirty industry
The self-interest of those trying to get to market first

Listen you can choose to believe everything reported willy nilly. I think when it comes to my health and wellbeing, it's very important to not be naive.

There's explanations for the timeline. I've mentioned a few of the bigger ones above.

With regards to the rest, are you saying you would never take another new vaccine again because Pharma is a dirty industry? Therefore any vaccine could be as a result of a self serving pharma company?

You can choose to believe those explanations without question, I will choose to be sceptical.

And that's what it comes down to, I would be very suspicious of Big Pharma, their motivations to rush through a vaccine and precedent of side effects with vaccines. Given the public will for a vaccine and financial gains of producing one, there is more motivation than ever to rush one through.

And that's what shapes my outlook.

As regard to your second question, the fact is none of us know anything about this vaccine. It hasn't even hit the market yet so for me I question things, I'm going to queue up will my shoulder sleeve rolled without weighing everything up, it you want to embark down that route then that's your choice. I'm not telling you what to do, maybe you should stop trying to dictate to me.
Where did I dictate that you had to take it? Don't take it. I've no issue with that. (I do have a slight one with regards to how it impacts the rest of us but not enough to force you to take a vaccine that you seem to be so passionately against).
But I will continue to challenge your view that people are naive for taking the vaccine. That's just nonsense.

That's my viewpoint, my viewpoint is the on that is being attacked here in case you didn't notice. I have valid reasons for not wanting to take it but of course some people can't accept that.
Attacking your view point? Bit dramatic do you not think? It's a discussion board. Of course people will disagree with you over the likes of this. Your views are controversial so will be questioned. Same as you have queried the time frame of the trials.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Angelo

Quote from: trueblue1234 on November 17, 2020, 04:56:27 PM

Listen you can choose to believe everything reported willy nilly. I think when it comes to my health and wellbeing, it's very important to not be naive.

There's explanations for the timeline. I've mentioned a few of the bigger ones above.

With regards to the rest, are you saying you would never take another new vaccine again because Pharma is a dirty industry? Therefore any vaccine could be as a result of a self serving pharma company?

You can choose to believe those explanations without question, I will choose to be sceptical.

And that's what it comes down to, I would be very suspicious of Big Pharma, their motivations to rush through a vaccine and precedent of side effects with vaccines. Given the public will for a vaccine and financial gains of producing one, there is more motivation than ever to rush one through.

As regard to your second question, the fact is none of us know anything about this vaccine. It hasn't even hit the market yet so for me I question things, I'm going to queue up will my shoulder sleeve rolled without weighing everything up, it you want to embark down that route then that's your choice. I'm not telling you what to do, maybe you should stop trying to dictate to me.
Where did I dictate that you had to take it? Don't take it. I've no issue with that. (I do have a slight one with regards to how it impacts the rest of us but not enough to force you to take a vaccine that you seem to be so passionately against).
But I will continue to challenge your view that people are naive for taking the vaccine. That's just nonsense.

That's my viewpoint, my viewpoint is the on that is being attacked here in case you didn't notice. I have valid reasons for not wanting to take it but of course some people can't accept that.
Attacking your view point? Bit dramatic do you not think? It's a discussion board. Of course people will disagree with you over the likes of this. Your views are controversial so will be questioned. Same as you have queried the time frame of the trials.

It's my viewpoint that's been attacked.

If you want to get the vaccine then that's your choice. I've laid out my reasonings for not and I'm being attacked for them. It's a personal choice at the end of the day and I'm having defend my incessantly despite my reasoning being completely valid and rational.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

tyssam5

Quote from: Seaney on November 17, 2020, 03:33:48 PM
Quote from: Ed Ricketts on November 17, 2020, 03:14:11 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on November 17, 2020, 01:08:03 PM
It's actually getting to be quite impressive how Angelo can be bothered with all these rows on different threads on an internet forum. He is going to need to give a man a start or employ a secretary to keep up with it all. Serious effort.

It looks that way at first.

Then you realise that every post on a topic is just a clone of the previous one - Big Pharma! Big Pharma! Big Pharma!

Sometimes it seems like a standard trolling exercise, other times you'd worry about him.

He has a point though - some serious profiteering going on here.  Prof Ugur Sahin, BioNTech co-founder on the Andrew Marr show had no answer to how long immunity would last, or if it would stop transmission yet we have lads on here queuing up to get it.  One question no one is answering (maybe they did but I can't be arsed reading back through the pages I have missed)  is surely it is against the human rights of Care Home residents to have this forced upon them especially as the usual 10 year vaccine has been rushed through in 10 months, and if there is side effects and these poor souls die would anyone care, they seem to be collateral damage.

The reason there is rush is because it is impacting the world's economy at billion dollar levels and killing people at levels of millions.

Therefore there is money to be made. So this is why is worthwhile for companies to put the investment in to take a chance on a new kind of vaccine (mRNA). This allows for the faster development.

https://www.wired.com/story/why-its-a-big-deal-if-the-first-covid-vaccine-is-genetic/

"Since small companies like BioNTech, Moderna, and Inovio began developing genetic vaccines about 10 years ago, that speed has always been the brightest of its promises. The faster you can make and test vaccines, the faster you can respond to outbreaks of new diseases. But with any novel approach comes risk—risks that the vaccine won't work well or, worse, that it harms someone, and millions of dollars will be wasted on a technology that turns out to be a flop. Until this year, major vaccine developers had shied away from genetic vaccines. Before 2020, only 12 mRNA vaccines ever made it to human trials. None were approved. Then came the coronavirus.

"Before the pandemic, there weren't the financial incentives or the opportunities for the big pharmaceutical companies to get involved," says Peter Hotez, a vaccine researcher and dean of the National School of Tropical Medicine at Baylor College of Medicine.

Now you have 2 different companies posting similar results with a similar method - that at least demonstrates repeatability.

tyssam5

Quote from: Seaney on November 17, 2020, 03:36:58 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on November 17, 2020, 03:30:31 PM
Well done Dolly.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/amphtml/saint-dolly-parton-part-funded-102423789.html?

Maybe she just wants to get back working 9 to 5, what is partly funded, I have donated to many charities, am I partly funding them!

Partly funded in this case is a million dollar donation. But I'm sure your donations are welcome and of course you are indeed partly funding those charities.

tyssam5

Quote from: Angelo on November 17, 2020, 06:02:11 PM

If you want to get the vaccine then that's your choice. I've laid out my reasonings for not and I'm being attacked for them. It's a personal choice at the end of the day and I'm having defend my incessantly despite my reasoning being completely valid and rational.

How is 'valid and rational' to totally reject something that isn't even available yet because the work is not complete?

What if in 6 month regulatory bodies all across the world have independently stated a vaccine (or more than one) is effective and safe?

Angelo

Quote from: tyssam5 on November 17, 2020, 07:02:00 PM
Quote from: Angelo on November 17, 2020, 06:02:11 PM

How is 'valid and rational' to totally reject something that isn't even available yet because the work is not complete?

What if in 6 month regulatory bodies all across the world have independently stated a vaccine (or more than one) is effective and safe?

I still would be against getting it. You are asking me to park all my genuine concerns and trust big pharma explicitly with a rushed through vaccine.

There have been many vaccines in the past stated effective and safe that have caused serious side effects. In this situation we are looking at a  vaccine being produced and approved in record times which should cause any rational thinking person more concerns than normal.

GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Milltown Row2

Can we close the thread please?

Some are not going to take and most are. Some want to continue wearing masks and sanitise all day and most want back their lives with loved ones, family Christmas and holidays, some don't have family they like so it suits them
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Seaney

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 17, 2020, 07:18:50 PM
Can we close the thread please?

Some are not going to take and most are. Some want to continue wearing masks and sanitise all day and most want back their lives with loved ones, family Christmas and holidays, some don't have family they like so it suits them

You aren't going get it, you are going let everyone else and not bother, least some of us are honest.

Seaney

Quote from: tyssam5 on November 17, 2020, 06:43:03 PM
Quote from: Seaney on November 17, 2020, 03:36:58 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on November 17, 2020, 03:30:31 PM
Well done Dolly.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/amphtml/saint-dolly-parton-part-funded-102423789.html?

Maybe she just wants to get back working 9 to 5, what is partly funded, I have donated to many charities, am I partly funding them!

Partly funded in this case is a million dollar donation. But I'm sure your donations are welcome and of course you are indeed partly funding those charities.

Bless a million dollars.

Seaney

So you are going to take a vaccine in which no one knows if it prevents covid spreading, no one knows how long it will give you immunity, and the 90percent  was quoted on Andrew Marr as about 30 percent in older people.

Seaney