China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marty34

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on October 11, 2020, 07:27:46 PM
Quote from: restorepride on October 11, 2020, 07:23:48 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on October 11, 2020, 07:15:13 PM
As a parent I'd be lookin for staff and management to do their jobs better and enforce the rules. Shut downs can be minimised better imo.
I agree, but also the school bubbles/zones are very different from 'house/family' bubbles, which can be quite robust/secure.  In schools this is compromised by all bubbles mixing on school transport twice a day, not to mention the 18th birthday parties which have been a big driver amongst the Year 14s apparently - the most affected cohort in schools, it appears.

Yeah, those situations present problems, the buses aren't enforcing the masks. I suppose it underlines how everyone needs to do their part to best of their ability. I don't think a lot of secondary level schools are however

In fairness, a bus driver's job is to drive the bus in a safe manner etc., not to look around and see who's or who is not wearing a mask.

Kidder81

Is it spreading in schools, obviously a couple getting it and a few hundred then having to self isolate isn't good for anyone but is there spreading in schools ? I haven't seen any evidence of it yet

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Kidder81 on October 11, 2020, 08:13:02 PM
Is it spreading in schools, obviously a couple getting it and a few hundred then having to self isolate isn't good for anyone but is there spreading in schools ? I haven't seen any evidence of it yet

But what about the argument for keeping schools open right through this? We'd a few posters that were adamant school kids couldn't pass infections.. oh how we laughed Smufy
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

restorepride

Up until a week or so ago, I would have said no - most cases were in a sense 'community transmission' - being brought into schools.  That has now shifted and there is clear pupil to pupil transmission.  Students who have no other contact but seated in proximity at school.  The 'evidence' will probably be very difficult to get from PHA as schools are under severe governmental pressure to remain open.  Student to teacher infection has also taken place and teacher to teacher.

Kidder81

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 11, 2020, 08:16:37 PM

But what about the argument for keeping schools open right through this? We'd a few posters that were adamant school kids couldn't pass infections.. oh how we laughed Smufy

Any schools I know of are running into problems with 4th year and up are having to self isolate as close contacts as they are mixing subjects (bubble out the window I assume) not school kids getting it in school and passing it on. I just haven't heard of it being spread in schools

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on October 11, 2020, 07:18:09 PM
Quote from: hardstation on October 11, 2020, 07:17:11 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on October 11, 2020, 07:15:13 PM
As a parent I'd be lookin for staff and management to do their jobs better and enforce the rules. Shut downs can be minimised better imo.
Enforce what rules?

Bubbles and masks. It ain't happening in a lot of schools unfortunately. No staggered breaks too in a lot of cases. Very frustrating for parents

Bubbles of bullshit!

They would never work. Perhaps in a very small percentage of schools where kids don't get busses, but where they do, the bubble approach was never going to work.

It was said at the time. It was ignored at the time.

As usual, politicians and stupid civil servants blowing smoke up people's asses. Well, a pandemic tends to show up f**kwits for what they are - f**kwits.
i usse an speelchekor

Smurfy123

Milltown has any young school child in Ireland had a serious Covid condition or even had to be hospitalised? Not 1
Not a single school child in Ireland yes Ireland has been admitted to hospital
Yes close up shop
Not
Sweden on the other hand who kept schools open are all but over it
Crowds being allowed back into venues all over Europe but here and the shit show UK going the other way.

restorepride

Quote from: Kidder81 on October 11, 2020, 08:23:39 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 11, 2020, 08:16:37 PM

Any schools I know of are running into problems with 4th year and up are having to self isolate as close contacts as they are mixing subjects (bubble out the window I assume) not school kids getting it in school and passing it on. I just haven't heard of it being spread in schools
You have now!  See above - it is now being spread in schools, mainly in the age-group you mention, but also from students to teachers in younger age groups. 

RadioGAAGAA

*facepalm*

Please outline how someone could spread it to a dozen others in a pub yet not possible for it to spread in a classroom.
i usse an speelchekor

Kidder81

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on October 11, 2020, 08:28:29 PM

*facepalm*

Please outline how someone could spread it to a dozen others in a pub yet not possible for it to spread in a classroom.

Do people still do the facepalm thing ?

Who said it can't happen ? Read my posts again, only slower this time

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Kidder81 on October 11, 2020, 08:24:54 PM
Obviously not here but interesting nonetheless

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/10/schools-arent-superspreaders/616669/

Sorry, for political reasons, most US schools are keeping any information under lock and key.

The primary source for that work is not trustworthy.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/04/world/middleeast/coronavirus-israel-schools-reopen.html
i usse an speelchekor

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Smurfy123 on October 11, 2020, 08:27:48 PM
Milltown has any young school child in Ireland had a serious Covid condition or even had to be hospitalised? Not 1

So when they take it home and pass it to granny & granda?
i usse an speelchekor

restorepride

Quote from: Smurfy123 on October 11, 2020, 08:27:48 PM
Not a single school child in Ireland yes Ireland has been admitted to hospital
Yes close up shop
Not
Sweden on the other hand who kept schools open are all but over it
Crowds being allowed back into venues all over Europe but here and the shit show UK going the other way.
Yes.

Smurfy123