China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Quote from: armaghniac on October 11, 2020, 02:48:08 AM
People out and about is why fines are needed.

Big time. Should have happened weeks ago

Angelo

Quote from: macdanger2 on October 10, 2020, 08:30:14 PM
Quote from: Angelo on October 10, 2020, 01:08:07 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on October 09, 2020, 07:47:21 PM
Quote from: Angelo on October 09, 2020, 03:56:37 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on October 08, 2020, 08:26:10 PM
Quote from: Angelo on October 08, 2020, 09:44:10 AM

I know the virus was only officially detected on this island around the end of Feb but being realistic it was probably here in December or before, it has obviously been in existence in China months before it became apparent and its likely a domino effect to each new country it transmits to. By the time testing, tracing and knowledge of the virus, it's probably already embedded there for months

If you don't believe that it started in Wuhan in Dec, then why believe that it began in China at all? If it was around in Europe in say Nov, then there is currently no known origin

Because China was the first noted outbreak. If people are oblivious to it then the place where it first becomes apparent is likely the origin of it.

That theory makes no sense

It makes complete sense, how can you not get that?

The origin of the virus is the most likely place where it will spread and where large numbers will contract it and it first become noticed. There is probably a 2/3 month time lag (maybe longer) though in the virus being in the community and it not being recognised as something we have not seen before.

The virus was around a long time before December. It was recorded in France in December.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/french-hospital-discovers-it-had-case-of-coronavirus-in-december-1.4245275

Is this an actual theory or just something you've come up with yourself?

As I said, it makes no sense, if the virus started earlier than it's currently believed to then there's nothing to tie it to Wuhan or China. Other than your supposition that it "must have", there's no evidence of that. If what you're saying is true, then there wouldn't have been such a lag between the first cases discovered in China and the first cases discovered in Europe.

I pity any teacher that ever had you.

The virus first came to prominence in China, in Wuhan, the first death from it was announced in January but they have traced back positive cases of Covid to mid November.

Similarly France recorded the first Covid death in mid Feb but have subsequently traced back positive tests to December.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/french-hospital-discovers-it-had-case-of-coronavirus-in-december-1.4245275

So it's clear as day Covid was in circulation months before anyone even knew about it, the likeliest place the virus originated and spread is the point of origin of its outbreak. Wuhan was the first place where it surged and that began to happen around early January but we now know it was in circulation in mid November in China and most likely before that.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/13/first-covid-19-case-happened-in-november-china-government-records-show-report

I think the first positive case on this island was late Feb? Are you naive enough to think that the first person to test positive for the virus on this island was actually the first person to bring it here when many people can be asymptomatic, when there was no testing, tracking or tracing systems in place, where very limited details of the symptoms and signs of Covid were available beforehand? The logical thing to expect is that the virus arrived in the country months before the first positive case.

The vast majority of people will probably be asymptomatic or suffer mild symptoms similar to a cold or chest infection if they get it. If anyone did get it in December or did get it in January, they would most likely have put it down as a cold or flu and not passed much heed. The bottom line is that we don't know but logic and precedent will tell you that it's highly likely it was here a considerable time before the first positive test.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Angelo

Quote from: armaghniac on October 10, 2020, 07:06:05 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on October 10, 2020, 06:55:31 PM
1012 new cases in the 26 counties today.

Sligo has done really well here, they had few cases before and although places not far away like north Roscommon, Donegal and Fermanagh have more cases, they are still very low.

Fermanagh was probably doing as well as Sligo up until a fortnight ago.

All it needs is a small outbreak and its off.

The next 5/6 weeks will tell us a lot in the north. We've had double the cases in the past fortnight as we had in the past 6 months so if the deaths 5/6 weeks on are far lower than the deaths we had back then, it's either one of two things:

A) A lot, lot more people were infected with Covid in the first wave without knowing and we could be a lot closer to "herd immunity" than we realise (if we knew where we stood on immunity - thanks science)
B) The virus is not as potent or as fatal as some of the doom merchants make out. In this case, it has to be all about protecting the vulnerable and elderly and an onus on those who have people in that category to be very vigilant. The likelihood is that for the majority of the population it will be no worse than a flu or head cold.

We live with seasonal flu as it is, you can get a bad dose of it, you can be a few months from it before you can get back to 100%, in some cases even if you're fit and healthy you can develop pneumonia, end up being hospitalised and in extreme cases, it can take your life but the chances of that are very remote and we live with the flu.

I'm no expert but when you hear consistently how conflicted and wrong the experts have called this so far then you will have lost all hope in them, their advice and their so called knowledge.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: marty34 on October 11, 2020, 09:29:47 AM
Quote from: seafoid on October 11, 2020, 09:11:10 AM
Republic new infections higher than North's now.
Covid senior hurling

Comparsions are silly - my da is bigger than your da type stuff.  Makes no difference. It is what it is.

It should have, and still should be based on an all island basis.  Like foot and foot a good few years ago.

Few sad men political point scoring over a seemingly uncontrollable virus on this thread alright.

Well said.

PadraicHenryPearse

Quote from: Angelo on October 11, 2020, 11:24:01 AM

Sligo has done really well here, they had few cases before and although places not far away like north Roscommon, Donegal and Fermanagh have more cases, they are still very low.

The next 5/6 weeks will tell us a lot in the north. We've had double the cases in the past fortnight as we had in the past 6 months so if the deaths 5/6 weeks on are far lower than the deaths we had back then, it's either one of two things:

A) A lot, lot more people were infected with Covid in the first wave without knowing and we could be a lot closer to "herd immunity" than we realise (if we knew where we stood on immunity - thanks science)
B) The virus is not as potent or as fatal as some of the doom merchants make out. In this case, it has to be all about protecting the vulnerable and elderly and an onus on those who have people in that category to be very vigilant. The likelihood is that for the majority of the population it will be no worse than a flu or head cold.

We live with seasonal flu as it is, you can get a bad dose of it, you can be a few months from it before you can get back to 100%, in some cases even if you're fit and healthy you can develop pneumonia, end up being hospitalised and in extreme cases, it can take your life but the chances of that are very remote and we live with the flu.

I'm no expert but when you hear consistently how conflicted and wrong the experts have called this so far then you will have lost all hope in them, their advice and their so called knowledge.

correct, you are no expert..

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Captain Obvious

1,066 NI cases, 1 death today.

Angelo

Quote from: PadraicHenryPearse on October 11, 2020, 11:51:18 AM
Quote from: Angelo on October 11, 2020, 11:24:01 AM

correct, you are no expert..

Me along with everyone else.

Rois

My nephew is one of the statistics. School spread (Belfast). My sis and her family now getting tested. He is asymptomatic. She he and his sister attend the school my sis teaches at.

Thankfully we haven't seen them in wks.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Rois on October 11, 2020, 03:36:01 PM
My nephew is one of the statistics. School spread (Belfast). My sis and her family now getting tested. He is asymptomatic. She he and his sister attend the school my sis teaches at.

Did he have a reason to be tested if had no symptoms? The wife knows a man who had to get tested before a minor op and came back positive with no symptoms and he's in his 60s.

Captain Obvious

Czech republic have one of the worst infection rates in Europe over the last few weeks. In the summer they were doing this.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-53244688

armaghniac

Quote from: Captain Obvious on October 11, 2020, 04:11:49 PM
Czech republic have one of the worst infection rates in Europe over the last few weeks. In the summer they were doing this.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-53244688

The Czechs may have been blatant about it, but a lot of people were carrying on as if the virus was already gone.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Rois

Quote from: Tony Baloney on October 11, 2020, 03:49:46 PM
Quote from: Rois on October 11, 2020, 03:36:01 PM

Did he have a reason to be tested if had no symptoms? The wife knows a man who had to get tested before a minor op and came back positive with no symptoms and he's in his 60s.
His friend tested positive.

GetOverTheBar

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54500673

Maybe can ease the blame on certain sectors and blame to those who may or may not wear masks.

restorepride

Large school in Derry City now closed for a week in an effort to stop the rapid spread.